Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 2/13/2021 10:20:20 PM EDT
I want to know what everyone's opinions are about the two. I have only done my checkout dives so I don't have enough experience with either to make a decision on what I want. That being said I am kind of leaning towards the traditional gauges and a watch just to reinforce the basics but also I am a little weary about my life relying on something running on batteries. Which do you see have more problems or malfunctions and how major are these problems or malfunctions?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with a top brand dive computer and never look back. I had great luck with my scuba pro.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Join ScubaBoard...Shearwater Peregrine is excellent...Shearwater Perdix AI for air integration is excellent...If you want a hosed air integration then Oceanic Pro Plus 4 is excellent
I use a Shearwater Perdix AI and wife uses the Oceanic ProPlus 4
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Good to know how to use traditional gauges and a watch, but a dive computer is doing 1000s of calculations per second (minute?) and virtually every diver uses a computer.  I trust mine with my life.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I want to know what everyone's opinions are about the two. I have only done my checkout dives so I don't have enough experience with either to make a decision on what I want. That being said I am kind of leaning towards the traditional gauges and a watch just to reinforce the basics but also I am a little weary about my life relying on something running on batteries. Which do you see have more problems or malfunctions and how major are these problems or malfunctions?
View Quote

Even basic computers are cheap these days and very reliable. Very few folks use watches/tables these days.

Some computer brands are known for issues. Stay away from Suunto. Your best bet for a computer is a Shearwater Peregrine. Made in Canada and customer service is excellent.

Computers are used everywhere. Depending on where you dive, some charter boats reportedly require computers. Get your own and get familiar with how it works.

I have the Shearwater Perdix.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Gage and watch if you're diving tables I guess. But who the flip does that. Are tables even taught anywhere besides places where technology and/or money are out reach?

Dive computers have come a long way and there's no reason to dive any other way today.

if you're a casual diver I don't think there's any brand that will put you at risk. If you're hitting it hard and regular then consider Shearwater.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:36:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a computer... but back it up with dive tables and a watch.

Sucks when batteries die in the middle of a dive.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Get a backup computer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:33:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get a backup computer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a backup computer.

I have one...a watch and the ability to use dive tables.

Been diving for damn near 50 years and haven't been bent ever using tables. Computers are nice though for the flexibility they give you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Been diving since '74.
When I got my first computer in early '90's I never looked back.
Its especially nice on dive trips with lots of diving.
I'm buying a new one: Aqualung i300 in console with pressure gauge. Don't need anything more expensive.
There are cheaper ones.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Computer or bust.  Understanding tables as well as the physiology of diving is useful but after my first 10 or so dives I bought  computer and haven't dove tables since. Best thing about computers is they account for multi depth profiles easily allowing you to extend bottom time, since it's a rare dive you go to the bottom and stay there until you hit your NDL.  They also make longer dives that include a little deco time doable pretty easily (just make sure you have plenty of gas).
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought a computer (Oceanic) in 2002 when I was diving a lot and it was awesome. I just did a recert class 2 weeks ago in the Keys and there is now an expectation that everyone uses a computer.

I am not sure I would do tables again unless I had no choice but I agree it is a skill you have to master and maintain just in case.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought a computer (Oceanic) in 2002 when I was diving a lot and it was awesome. I just did a recert class 2 weeks ago in the Keys and there is now an expectation that everyone uses a computer.

I am not sure I would do tables again unless I had no choice but I agree it is a skill you have to master and maintain just in case.
View Quote

It is not uncommon for tables to be totally omitted these days. I got OW certified 5 years ago. SDI, which requires every student have a computer from the start. No tables. Period.

The only table I've ever used is to determine MOD for Nitrox.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Been diving since '74.
When I got my first computer in early '90's I never looked back.
Its especially nice on dive trips with lots of diving.
I'm buying a new one: Aqualung i300 in console with pressure gauge. Don't need anything more expensive.
There are cheaper ones.
View Quote

I'd stay clear of the I300 (discontinued) and I300C (same unit with bluetooth)
I have seen A LOT go TU.  Also, the console is notorious for continuous running post dive and eating batteries (water retained at sensor).  Can drill holes in the back of the boot to fix this, but then go back to my first point.

Plenty of other good options in this price range.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Perdix...

got my first computer back in the '90s and have used them ever since...

still wear the watch though...
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I started diving I was 100% analog & calculating my dive tables (rather than going by the overly conservative PADI ones)...

Now I enjoy the features and simplicity of technology, via a wrist mounted dive computer & transmitter. However I do still have analog backups, it doesn't have to be a 100% all digital or all analog game.  Sometimes I still do my own tables as well, because knowledge you do not use will eventually be forgotten.

Very rare occurrence where I've come across two divers with the exact same gear & equipment setups.  Buy what you can comfortable afford and figure out your style & preferences are before splurging on big ticket expensive items... that's my advice.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 2:58:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Computers have been around for 35+ years. I was first certified in 1969, so have experience with both the old and the new. I also use a watch and depth gauge. Get a computer and change the batteries regularly.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Gage and watch if you're diving tables I guess. But who the flip does that. Are tables even taught anywhere besides places where technology and/or money are out reach?

Dive computers have come a long way and there's no reason to dive any other way today.

if you're a casual diver I don't think there's any brand that will put you at risk. If you're hitting it hard and regular then consider Shearwater.
View Quote

I'll teach them if a student asks. But I do gloss over them as a basis for teaching how to use a computer.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
yep, use a computer. As a DM I don't have time to watch everything and my profile isn't always 'normal', so I run dual computers.
one integrated on my console and another on my wrist.
View Quote

I keep a puck in my pocket always on "air" so that I'm tracking what my students are doing. My computers are set to whatever nitrox mix I'm diving.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Go with a top brand dive computer and never look back. I had great luck with my scuba pro.
View Quote

Sweet Jesus!
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#21]
uhhh.... also, you're diving with a buddy since you're newly certified.  So, just like if your regulator breaks down, your buddy's dive computer is your backup.  If you're really concerned about it, buy two dive computers and carry both like the DM above does.  

And besides, if you start really pricing a dive watch that will work at depth, it's gonna as expensive as a dive computer, if not more.  Oceanic Geo 2 is $250.  An analog dive watch couldn't be less than that.  

Just get a dive computer, man.  All the kids are doing it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I am a recreational diver and mostly dive between 30-50 ft. I have a Mares Puck and really like it. Yes there are many out there with far more features but for purely recreational diving, the Mares Puck is hard to beat when adding price to the comparison.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm newish too.

But, my first purchase was a computer (Geo 4).
I recommend computers, as most here already.

If you are like me and want to know the tables and such, getting a computer and knowing its and it's tables/algorithm is a very similar workout.
For example, I have two algo's to choose from. They're similar, but different enough to choose for the type of trip I am doing and who I am diving with. It helps me plan.

The 2nd computer, runs a Bulhmann 16 algorithm.

Both computer can run nitrox.

TLDR: get a computer. Many shops won't let you dive tables alone.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Fuck tables.  Use a computer.

I dive a Shearwater Teric.   Wireless battery charging with accurate battery meter, never have to worry about battery going dead.

been diving for about 15 years now.  Never had a computer failure. Never a dead battery either.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2021 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been diving since 1974.
Computers are where its at.
My Aqualung i200C is good enough for recreational diving.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top