Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2023 12:03:36 AM EDT
At 39 I’m finally making a life-long dream a reality.
A few things have lined up to make it a possibility. I got a sizable longevity bonus at work and there’s a good chance I’ll get my grandfathers plane for “free”. I say free but it’s been moored ramp side for the better part of 10 years. It’s a Grumman Yankee AA-1.

I’ve always figured what’s the point of getting a license if you don’t have your own plane. Renting would get expensive very quickly.

I’ve already bought the sportys ground school and I’m about half way through all the videos.
I’m sure after tomorrow I’ll be scheduling the first actual lesson.

Been flying twice a week for the last 3 weeks and with just over 10hours I solo'd today! Being in Southern NM we haven't had to cancel any flight due to weather, mainly because we rarely get any.
Still working on the ground stuff and think I will be taking the written next month sometime.

*Update*
Passed my private checkride this morning! Just over 52hours total time.
Now to start looking at instrument…and buy a airplane lol
My plan is to work on one rating a year for the next 4-5 years to line up with eligible for retirement from my job.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:43:31 AM EDT
[#1]
That Yankee is gonna take a lotta TLC if it hasn't flown or started in 10 years.
If it's a straight AA-1, they have nasty stall characteristics; good luck finding an instructor that has time in one or will teach in it.

Either way, good luck with it all and have fun on the discovery flight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:14:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That Yankee is gonna take a lotta TLC if it hasn't flown or started in 10 years.
If it's a straight AA-1, they have nasty stall characteristics; good luck finding an instructor that has time in one or will teach in it.

Either way, good luck with it all and have fun on the discovery flight.
View Quote

I’ve been looking at the Grumman owners page and there’s a CFI with a Grumman a few hours from me. My plan is, once I get my license, see if he’s willing to come and give me some dual time in the Yankee on my dime.

There’s a shop in Ohio that specializes in grummans that I’m thinking of dropping off the plane with them to give it a good going over. At the very least I’ve seen recent overhauls, and for the O-235 it’s gonna be about 20K. Hence the “free”.
I’m concerned about what it might actually be to get the thing air worthy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I’ve been looking at the Grumman owners page and there’s a CFI with a Grumman a few hours from me. My plan is, once I get my license, see if he’s willing to come and give me some dual time in the Yankee on my dime.

There’s a shop in Ohio that specializes in grummans that I’m thinking of dropping off the plane with them to give it a good going over. At the very least I’ve seen recent overhauls, and for the O-235 it’s gonna be about 20K. Hence the “free”.
I’m concerned about what it might actually be to get the thing air worthy.
View Quote

Worry about all those details when they become reality.

For now, focus on taking the discovery flight and the follow on lessons.  Go have fun in an airplane and let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Was you able to get your discovery in today?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I was!
He kinda felt out my experience (little to none out side of sims, DCS and msfs2020 and others going back to the 90’s and a 30 min flight in my grandfathers Yankee 25 years ago) figured out I knew enough to have me run through the whole walk around checklist, start-up taxi, takeoff, some maneuvers and on the way back to the airport he asked if I felt comfortable doing some landings. I then asked HIM if he was comfortable with me doing some landings and he said he saw more than enough to feel comfortable. So we did 2 touch and go’s and 1 full stop with me making all the calls (uncontrolled field).

I’m now scheduled out 2 flights a week till the end of may and already have .8hrs and 3 landings in my log book.

The flying and landings were a bit rough as the thermals were quite bad and bouncing us around quite a bit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was!
He kinda felt out my experience (little to none out side of sims, DCS and msfs2020 and others going back to the 90’s and a 30 min flight in my grandfathers Yankee 25 years ago) figured out I knew enough to have me run through the whole walk around checklist, start-up taxi, takeoff, some maneuvers and on the way back to the airport he asked if I felt comfortable doing some landings. I then asked HIM if he was comfortable with me doing some landings and he said he saw more than enough to feel comfortable. So we did 2 touch and go’s and 1 full stop with me making all the calls (uncontrolled field).

I’m now scheduled out 2 flights a week till the end of may and already have .8hrs and 3 landings in my log book.

The flying and landings were a bit rough as the thermals were quite bad and bouncing us around quite a bit.
View Quote

Now that's an awesome discovery flight!
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Great to hear! Now its time for steep turns, power on/off stalls, slow flight, and lots of emergency procedures. Engine fire simulations are real fun when its rough out. I just got my PPL so its still fresh on my mind. Enjoy it, it changed my outlook on life for sure.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Enjoy it.  Did my first flight at 40, have done about 6 more since then.  When I retire I will pursue my license.  

We all have our own path.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#9]
My advice is start when you can fly twice a week (money and time). I started in July 2022 and got my PPL on 4/10/23 with just over 70 hours because my check ride got rescheduled 5 times with 2-3 weeks in between dates.
If you only schedule once a week you will easy go 2 or 3 weeks w/o flying because of weather, and you will feel like you are relearning the same thing over and over.

My friend started almost 2 years ago trying to fly once every 2 weeks and he still is trying to finish his requirements. He saw how fast I was picking up and he started doing twice a week and he is moving fast now. Shouldn't be much longer and we are looking to get a plane together.

Good luck, that first solo will be a day you will always remember.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:32:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Congratulations on the solo!
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Congratulations on soloing.

It’s been 30 years, and I still remember mine clearly.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 4:28:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Update!
In OP
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:51:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Update!
In OP
View Quote

Congratulations!

You did it the right way. Knock it out quick so you don’t lose the skills you paid so much to learn.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats! I’ve dragged mine out so long with Covid and life in general.

Been studying like crazy for the written the last 2 weeks. Hope to take it soon.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Update!
In OP
View Quote

Congrats! Now go up and scare yourself silly and get it over with.

Seriously though- go fly 10 hours or so as new PPL before you jump into Instrument training. Enjoy the new freedom a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top