Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2018 5:11:03 PM EDT
They're not making clothing consistent with expectations of quality in their heyday IMO

are any "quality" brands still making quality everyday clothing that isn't  commie gulag slave crap?

I'm particularly done with Orvis. 3 orders in a row where products were far beneath expectations for a "quality" brand (Jacket, sweater and gloves)
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Stopped buying from them in the 90s. The problems started back then.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree entirely.  While on rare occasion Orvis while accidentally buy some better European clothes but 99% is made for them in the third world.   Last thing I got from orvis was a nice looking five button sweater.  The wool content was small.  The acrylic content was high.

Filson also went to gay hipster side.  I have some nice Filson canvas waxed coats and hunting pants.   I would need a diet to get into the pants, that’s about how long ago they cared to sell American made.   Now it’s also imported.

LL bean died about fifteen years ago.  They turned into a gay man’s and girls Boston fashion line.   Not outdoors gear but throw away clothing to wear once or twice at Martha’s Vinyard.   Even their old Maine coats are Asian made now.   Shitty cut for people without biceps.   I returned the one I had after looking it over.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Bought a LLBean barn coat from Atwoods as a close out - the tag cut out - last ones I saw. Probably 10-15 years ago.

Anything close to the old standards would be Carhartt, Blue Mountain, Dickies, Duluth, Levis, Berne, Browning, Rocky, Pendleton, Wolverine, Dri Duck, Woolrich  - all to be found on the internet, but you won't know until you try them.

The old school sources sold off long ago, you have to look for different names.

I'd avoid Walls, tho. Been there done that.

Try farm and tractor ag stores and expect some disappointment with any brand now. On the other hand, post season markdowns and some open mindedness in style and color will net some great bang for the buck bargains. I got good sherpa lined canvas vests from Dunhams last spring, Wolverine and others, for $25 each.

It rarely shows up at resale shops like DAV or Goodwill. Gave it up.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Weather Wool
View Quote
NICE ! Looks like the good stuff.
Pants, regular price $495
 (  I'll wander back over to GD,  enjoy my  poverty )
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree entirely.  While on rare occasion Orvis while accidentally buy some better European clothes but 99% is made for them in the third world.   Last thing I got from orvis was a nice looking five button sweater.  The wool content was small.  The acrylic content was high.

Filson also went to gay hipster side.  I have some nice Filson canvas waxed coats and hunting pants.   I would need a diet to get into the pants, that’s about how long ago they cared to sell American made.   Now it’s also imported.

LL bean died about fifteen years ago.  They turned into a gay man’s and girls Boston fashion line.   Not outdoors gear but throw away clothing to wear once or twice at Martha’s Vinyard.   Even their old Maine coats are Asian made now.   Shitty cut for people without biceps.   I returned the one I had after looking it over.
View Quote
Sadly this, were a disposable society now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Llbean gave up on quality a decade or more ago. About the same time they started stenciling their name on everything. Like I want to pay good money to be a walking billboard.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Five or six years ago, I bought some of the "ultimate khakis" from Orvis, and they have been fantastic pants.  A year or so ago, I decided to grab a couple more. When they arrived, i was disappointed.  Lower quality fabric, poor fit, cheap finishing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Bought two pair of jeans from LL Bean. The 32" inseam that I ordered is closer to 34".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top