Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2018 1:54:17 AM EDT
I think I want to get a digital camera. It's primary use would be for photos of items for reviews I write.

I currently use my iPad Mini 2 for all my camera needs and while it does the job I figure it might be time to upgrade to a real camera. I've taken its quality about as far as it will go and I'm wanting a more professional look than I can get with my iPad.

That said I just want it to be a moderate improvement over my iPad, I don't need something super awesome nor can I afford "awesome" anyway. I just want something better than what I have now, not something epic. Definitely budget minded here, the cheaper the better, within reason of course.

I have basically zero camera experience or knowledge, so keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:55:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:56:47 AM EDT
[#2]
budget?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:01:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
budget?
View Quote
From "Free" up to "Broke ass tool who shouldn't be wasting money on a camera".

Seriously though I just don't know. Like I said, I know jack about cameras so I don't even have a general idea of what you get in any given price range.

Let's say up to $250. What do I get in that realm?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:01:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Probably just a basic point and shoot will do fine. Canon and Panasonic are good.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:02:33 AM EDT
[#5]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Photography-andamp-Photoshopping/121/

Many guys here like @Zack3g who helped me out, without the GD  shenanigans
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:05:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Didn't even know we had a photography sub forum and didn't think to check.

I'll leave this here for now, see how it goes.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:05:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Does your phone have a camera? That may be better than the ipad. Many "flagship" phones have very capable cameras nowadays that cannot easily be bested by low price point and shoot cameras.

For your budget, though a point and shoot, canon, panasonic, or sony would be good.

Something like this: Panasonic Lumix zs50

I also recommend checking out buying refurbished directly from Canon: https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-powershot-digital-cameras
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:14:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does your phone have a camera? That may be better than the ipad. Many "flagship" phones have very capable cameras nowadays that cannot easily be bested by low price point and shoot cameras.

For your budget, though a point and shoot, canon, panasonic, or sony would be good.

Something like this: Panasonic Lumix zs50

I also recommend checking out buying refurbished directly from Canon: https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-powershot-digital-cameras
View Quote
I have a 6th gen iPod, how's that? Yeah... it's not noticeably better.

My only cellphone is a Tracfone that sits in my car for emergencies. Not joking. So that's out of the picture.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:15:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries

Just prepare to be overloaded with info when Zack pops in Man knows his cameras
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:37:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I would probably stick with the iPad for your purpose.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:47:07 AM EDT
[#11]
What kind of stuff are you reviewing? Cars or fidget spinners? It kinda matters, especially with a small budget.

Either way, you'll probably see a bigger improvement with lighting & setting up your shots than by simply changing to a camera in that price range. I don't keep track of Apples stuff but I do know they put some respectable cameras in their stuff...for what it is at least.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:50:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's just not holding up to the standard I set for my work. The photographs lag behind in quality compared to the writing and content itself. My iPad's photos are generally grainy and lack the sharpness I desire.

This image is typical of the quality I get out of it. Does it work? Yeah. Is it good? No. Of course some better lighting would help and I plan on addressing that as well but a more serious camera would be an improvement.

Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:51:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What kind of stuff are you reviewing? Cars or fidget spinners? It kinda matters, especially with a small budget.

Either way, you'll probably see a bigger improvement with lighting & setting up your shots than by simply changing to a camera in that price range. I don't keep track of Apples stuff but I do know they put some respectable cameras in their stuff...for what it is at least.
View Quote
Tactical gear, hearing protection, and the like.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:45:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's just not holding up to the standard I set for my work. The photographs lag behind in quality compared to the writing and content itself. My iPad's photos are generally grainy and lack the sharpness I desire.

This image is typical of the quality I get out of it. Does it work? Yeah. Is it good? No. Of course some better lighting would help and I plan on addressing that as well but a more serious camera would be an improvement.

https://i.imgur.com/Oqe2Dji.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder what an older DSLR sells for these days.  You almost need something like that, a decent lens, a tripod, and a light box setup.

If you shoot stationary objects under plenty of light, you probably don’t need the latest greatest.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I wonder what an older DSLR sells for these days.  You almost need something like that, a decent lens, a tripod, and a light box setup.

If you shoot stationary objects under plenty of light, you probably don’t need the latest greatest.
View Quote
I think that's exactly how he will have to use his budget to get the kind of improvement he's looking for.

This may not be the best option, but I think it'll get ya in the ball park.

Canon EOS Rebel XSi $149.95
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens $79.95
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:32:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Honestly, the iPad cameras are pretty solid for what they are. If you don’t want to spend a fair bit of money, I’d honestly look at spending money on lighting.  Hell, you can find a DXO One add on camera for your iPad for $120 or so if you shop around.

Barring that, what’s a ballpark  your ‘everything needed to do stuff’ budget?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:37:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
As you pointed out a lot of that can be improved with better (brighter and more even) lighting.

Start with that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:52:03 AM EDT
[#18]
You could improve your lighting and get what you are trying to do with a camera. That aside, every time that I have been to a Best Buy, they have had cameras that people have opened the box and returned, at nice discount prices. But, I have all the cameras that I need, I just check them out and think to myself, someone is going to get a nice deal.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Probably just a basic point and shoot will do fine. Canon and Panasonic are good.
View Quote
This. No need to get more complicated than that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Editing software will improve your photos
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

From "Free" up to "Broke ass tool who shouldn't be wasting money on a camera".

Seriously though I just don't know. Like I said, I know jack about cameras so I don't even have a general idea of what you get in any given price range.

Let's say up to $250. What do I get in that realm?
View Quote
I got my Nikon DSLR with 2 lenses for $160. Two memory cards, battery, charger, case, and UV filters came with it. It had 3k ish shutter actuations. Works just as good as most other DSLR's for stills and short action bursts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Editing software will improve your photos
View Quote
Can't polish a turd.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:43:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Kodak 110
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I picked up a Canon EOS D30 body for 40 bucks the other day, replacing a EOS Rebel body I list due to flooding..

The D30 is 3.1 megapixels, which is low by current standards, but it has all the features and modes of a SLR camera. 3.1 megapixels is still a higher pixel count than 1080p.

If you're wanting to learn the ins and outs of photography, grab an older dslr body and one basic lens and get started!

ETA: Just did some digging. KEH has 6mp digital rebel bodies for 60ish bucks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#27]
What I’d seriously look at OP is getting some budget light modifiers and rigging up a generic light box.  You can buy one, but you can DIY for a lot cheaper.  Bare bones is a couple sheets of white foam core, some white poster board, high output and fairly high CRI LED bulbs (when I use continuous light) Phillips 100w LED bulbs, and 2 of those cheap wire clamp aluminum shop lights.

Basically under $75 all said and done for a way better lighting setup.  If you want to get fancy, a sheet of white acrylic or high gloss tile work to put stuff on, you can get diffusion material for the lights pretty easily and cheaply if bouncing isn’t working for you, etc.

Then pick up a cheap or free editing program.  Hell, if you’re photographing stuff on your iPad, you can get most of the Adobe software suite for free.  They’re a bit stripped down from the full versions of Photoshop, but can still to a fair amount of heavy lifting.  I do edit notes on my iPad when I’m traveling, then sync the files to my PC (with the full version of Photoshop CC) for when I get home.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Point is, the iPad takes pretty decent photos provided you give it enough light to do so.  Once it has to bump up the ISO settings, you start to get noise pretty fast.  So adding extra light and light control is really important for it.

You can also get programs that give you 100% manual camera control, plus put the iPad on a tablet tripod.  Drop the shutter speed and ISO, take a long exposure, and you’re g2g.  If you’re feeling like DIY isn’t your thing, look at the Godox A1 flash controller.  It’ll Bluetooth sync to your tablet or phone and control any X series flash or flash with a X series receiver on it.  So you can be using quality camera flash gear with a smartphone.  Been tempted to pick one up myself for when I don’t feel like setting up all my camera gear but want to get a quick photo off.

Someone who understands light control will nearly always take better photos than someone with a high dollar camera and no idea on lighting.  There are a fair number of professional high dollar photographers that will take photos on smartphones and tablets, it just comes down to light control.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#29]
FredMan has a picture he shot with his phone a couple years back, but it's lit to perfection and it looks like it was shot with a DSLR. Once he gets that mention, hopefully he'll come post it.
View Quote
This is straight out of the iPhone 5; shot after a long day week of drinking in Curacao.  Not my shot, the Mrs. took it.

BrightonRail by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This is straight out of the iPhone 5; shot after a long day week of drinking in Curacao.  Not my shot, the Mrs. took it.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7673/26880036805_e6916d7255_b.jpgBrightonRail by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote
This thread kinda made me scroll through my gallery on my phone and look at some of the pics I've taken with it. I'm not the photographer in my family and none of my pics were taken with any or much thought/preparation but I had hard time believing that somebody who did would get unsatisfactory results (in this situation).

They were all taken with a LG G4 or a LG G6, so the G6 ones are by a much better camera (to the iPad Mini 2) but the G4 is a similar quality camera and while I don't have many left over from that they were pretty dang good also.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#31]
The major issue with the iPad mini 2 is the lack of flash. Your photos are grainy because the tablet is trying to compensate for poor lighting.

You can make a massive improvement simply by adding more lighting. Next there are some very simple photo editing apps out there to help after the shot: the new iOS editor is good, snapseed, WD Photos, adobe photo shop express, camera awesome.

Nothing will help till you add controlled lighting
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#32]
If you want a camera that is close to DSLR performance, see if you can find a Panasonic Lumix FZ80 at your price point.  You should be able to get pretty damned close.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This thread kinda made me scroll through my gallery on my phone and look at some of the pics I've taken with it. I'm not the photographer in my family and none of my pics were taken with any or much thought/preparation but I had hard time believing that somebody who did would get unsatisfactory results (in this situation).

They were all taken with a LG G4 or a LG G6, so the G6 ones are by a much better camera (to the iPad Mini 2) but the G4 is a similar quality camera and while I don't have many left over from that they were pretty dang good also.
View Quote
Here are some examples. Again, I'm not a photographer and these are just cell phone pics. The only thing I've done to them is remove the S/N in one and resize the for uploading here.

This was for selling this phone case, so a little setup in the sense I was trying to take a clear pic for an ad, but nothing special.

This was just to send a buddy to show what was wrong with this dirt bike, no setup at all.

This was just from a little zoo kinda place we stopped at on vacation, no setup, taken through glass. This is one of the better pics, there were plenty that turned out "cell phone like" as well.

This was just to send a pic to a buddy about a new build, no setup at all.

This was supposed to be a little creative but was taken inside at a fairly dark enclosed shooting bench, so this was making the camera work a bit.

So like several of us have said, you should be fine to keep using your iPad if you set things up properly to ensure a good pic. A better camera won't hurt anything, but if you don't want to spend your budget on one you don't have to.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:44:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you want a camera that is close to DSLR performance, see if you can find a Panasonic Lumix FZ80 at your price point.  You should be able to get pretty damned close.
View Quote
No phone can get close to what a DSLR can do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top