Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It was 7.25 cash on sunset and Alvarado in LA yesterday
View Quote

Jeebus! I hope I won't be forced to buy a Lightening F150 that they can't produce...
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Jeebus! I hope I won't be forced to buy a Lightening F150 that they can't produce...
View Quote

And will never be effected by rolling brown outs..
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better to have rolling brown/blackouts than to work on generating power that people clearly aren't demanding.  Or improving transmission.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Lemme throw another monkey wrench into this:

Some of the big oil companies that offer a pension are losing experienced folks like it's cool due to the fed interest rates. For my company, you have the option after hitting 15 years of employment and 55 years old of taking either the annuity or the lump sum. For anyone who has actually prepped, the lump sum is the better option.

But since the lump sum moves inversely with fed interests rates, many guys that would have stayed longer are retiring. To stay even an additional quarter with a big interest rate jump would cause many to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars.

We'll have a knowledge gap in short order. That will lead to more unit trips, extended turnarounds, more off spec product, etc.
View Quote

Not to mention the ever encroaching corporate-ness and micro-management GOTCH-YA fuck-fuck games that make the older more experienced operators just say “Enough of this bullshit!” and pull the handles.

Kinda reminds me  of the GD threads on why military pilots are or were leaving in droves.

EDIT:  couple the above with the continued kicking of the can maintenance wise.  “umm…yeah, our pipe X-rays showed that section was getting thin, but we didn’t think it would catastrophically fail so soon!”

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In before EV doesn't have this problem.
View Quote

EV's aren't affected by the diesel shortage.  They are effected by the lack of energy density in those batteries however.  Good luck towing around large trailers full of goods, some of them refrigerated, hundreds of miles a day with EV.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]
WRT my post above….for those who don’t know.  When you push hydrocarbons that are say 300*F up to 900*F through a pipe, and that pipe has a thin spot in its “wall”, when that thin spot finally lets go, and really hot hydrocarbons are spraying everywhere, once that stuff hits the air, it auto-ignites.

It doesn’t even need a source of ignition or a spark.

If there is an enclosed vessel nearby with liquid hydrocarbons in the bottom:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Oil prices are high and the industry has no desire to change that. Expect high oil prices to the the norm from here on out.

Ukraine-Russia war shutting down/hampering both Russian and Ukrainian production.

US suppliers won't raise production because fracking/shalling is only profitable when oil prices are high.

OPEC was spooked by 2020s low prices and don't want to see them again.

Global demand is only getting tighter as more and more markets modernize.

Renewable energy is the Rich Strike of this race and the oil industry knows it. They'll milk the market for all its worth until they can't anymore. Even if it hastens their own gradual replacement, they'll get rich doing it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

EV's aren't affected by the diesel shortage.  They are effected by the lack of energy density in those batteries however.  Good luck towing around large trailers full of goods, some of them refrigerated, hundreds of miles a day with EV.
View Quote

Hydrogen vehicles are range competitive with diesel. Once they figure out the kinks (and its much better now then it was even 5 years ago) the future is BEV for personal vehicles and hydrogen for heavy duty trucks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

After food will be diapers.  Time stamp it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For OP

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FR7FuLqX0AAKzHO?format=png&name=900x900

It's good to have confirmation, but not on things like this.

This, on top of a reported baby food shortage.

After food will be diapers.  Time stamp it.

I guess my granddaughter gets potty trained sooner rather than later in that case
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Learn to code.
View Quote

I code.

Not gonna help with this shit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fuel and asphalt.

Bids went out for contracts a while ago. Especially larger projects. If you bid fuel at 3-4 a gallon 2 years ago.  And it’s going to be 5 now… that’s a rough time.  

Asphalt is the same way. You bid your costs. It’s sky rocketed in price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Construction industry is going to get trounced.  

Can you elaborate on this? I’m trying to build a small house.

Fuel and asphalt.

Bids went out for contracts a while ago. Especially larger projects. If you bid fuel at 3-4 a gallon 2 years ago.  And it’s going to be 5 now… that’s a rough time.  

Asphalt is the same way. You bid your costs. It’s sky rocketed in price.

In Virginia, the state contracts have contract adjustments for asphalt and some of the contract items have adjustment for fuel. Private contracts probably don't have this though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#12]
If you think diesel is high now, wait until there isn't any.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It seems like this would also affect rail lines & diesel electric engines, but I'm not a train guy.  Can anyone comment?
View Quote

They buy in bulk and have on site storage. It'll eventually hit them but it'll take a little bit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hydrogen vehicles are range competitive with diesel. Once they figure out the kinks (and its much better now then it was even 5 years ago) the future is BEV for personal vehicles and hydrogen for heavy duty trucks.
View Quote

So in other words we are going to have to suck it up until the "kinks" are resolved?  How about no?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I saw a Big rig complete with trailer waiting for fuel at the Kroger gas station earlier too. I’ve never seen that before.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Oil prices are high and the industry has no desire to change that. Expect high oil prices to the the norm from here on out.

Ukraine-Russia war shutting down/hampering both Russian and Ukrainian production.

US suppliers won't raise production because fracking/shalling is only profitable when oil prices are high.

Renewable energy is the Rich Strike of this race and the oil industry knows it. They'll milk the market for all its worth until they can't anymore. Even if it hastens their own gradual replacement, they'll get rich doing it.
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

I would love to know your experience in this field.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Better to have rolling brown/blackouts than to work on generating power that people clearly aren't demanding.  Or improving transmission.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in a small town in OK, multiple hour power outages are fairly common and coming home to find clocks blinking is not unusual at all. I’d bet OG&E can’t keep power up for 6 months without an outage even barring weather issues.

They also like to talk about hefty profits in one hand and then cry for price increases due to weather events in the other all the while their last mile distribution is rotting and falling over.

FWIW the guys in the field are awesome, it’s the people in charge that couldn’t care less.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I saw a Big rig complete with trailer waiting for fuel at the Kroger gas station earlier too. I’ve never seen that before.
View Quote

During the last gas shortage (stations being out of fuel and waiting for deliveries) in the Nashville area, Kroger was one of the more reliable places to buy gas.  They apparently had made better (regarding deliveries) contracts with their suppliers.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Crude oil prices have dropped 10% since Friday.  From $110 to $99/barrel.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Building back better

To the closet left and lurkers, May you die a painful death of ass cancer
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to do that if I wanted fuel off the books. Of course with the ELD, once the truck rolls the ELD starts running the clock.

Sorry assed bastards, as if drivers didn't have enough to deal with. Got a buddy who's getting a good fuel surcharge, he deleted his EPA one box, damned thing was shutting him down.

No wonder I had a bunch of heart attacks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Typical green response. Why worry about starving today when the answer is only years away.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The diesel shortage is a myth, super-expensive diesel is actually good for your wallet, it's all Trump's fault, and why don't you just go buy a brand-new all-electric truck? There, I think I have the next six months of media content mapped out.
View Quote
Thank you, kind sir.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Typical green response. Why worry about starving today when the answer is only years away.
View Quote

Dont pay him any mind, he is a watermelon. Green on the outside, red on the inside.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone pushing hydrogen is either an idiot or grifting.

There is no third option.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We burned 460 gallons yesterday doing field work. Having 1,200 gallons delivered today. Hopefully corn and soybeans keep going up to pay for diesel that keeps going up.
View Quote

I doubt they will go up enough to even slightly offset the cost increases for production.

Fertilizer has quadrupled

Furl will hit tripled

Parts have gone up 70-90%

Plus oil, hydraulic fluid…..etc.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In '08 when oil was damn near $170/bbl, we didn't see fuel prices this high.
View Quote

It really makes a guy wonder.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Dont pay him any mind, he is a watermelon. Green on the outside, red on the inside.
View Quote

Never heard that one. I like it.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

We've heard oil prices were never going to go down again and then they did.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In '08 when oil was damn near $170/bbl, we didn't see fuel prices this high.

Something about prices reflecting future costs?

Or businesses making up profits for the cheap gas for 4 years?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

But did they really?

YearInflation-adjustedActual
2020$2.31$2.28
2019$2.25$2.46
2018$2.21$2.46
2017$2.17$2.50
2016$2.12$2.51
2015$2.11$2.45
2014$2.09$3.37
2013$2.06$3.53
2012$2.02$3.64
2011$1.97$3.53
2010$1.94$2.79
2009$1.89$2.35
2008$1.88$3.27
2007$1.81$2.80
2006$1.77$2.59
2005$1.71$2.30
2004$1.65$1.88
2003$1.62$1.59
2002$1.59$1.36
2001$1.56$1.46
2000$1.51$1.51
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's going to be tough in trucking. We are a high revenue, low margin business. With the truck shortage for the last year and a half, equipment prices have doubled and parts are hard to find. Labor is demanding huge wages, if you can even find someone insurable. Add in dollar a mile plus fuel and my break even is huge. A lot of small and large trucking companies aren't going to survive this.
View Quote

Have a class A, but why use it when I can make 81k a year driving a concrete truck, home by 6:30-7 every night.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I live in a small town in OK, multiple hour power outages are fairly common and coming home to find clocks blinking is not unusual at all. I'd bet OG&E can't keep power up for 6 months without an outage even barring weather issues.

They also like to talk about hefty profits in one hand and then cry for price increases due to weather events in the other all the while their last mile distribution is rotting and falling over.

FWIW the guys in the field are awesome, it's the people in charge that couldn't care less.
View Quote
I know several Oklahoma towns like that.
I might know your town.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Crew cab 4x4?  I will
Buy it
View Quote

@BlackDogFarms

IM sent.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Hydrogen is the CFL bulb of automotive transportation.  
2. He's the same lefty that 'tards up the political threads.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Liberals claim this is all made up. "Joe Biden is the best president ever!" Seriously. I guess their game plan is to just stick their head in the sand. That or "can't we force the oil companies to produce more?" They're truly delusional. We are rightly fucked.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone said this last run up and I'll friggin post it again....

"The cure to high prices is....high prices"

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Many pumps cut off at the credit-card or debit-card pre-approval limit (used to be $99, etc.).

*** driver walks up to cashier ***

Cashier: How can I help you?
Driver: I'm on Pump 4 and I need $1,300
Cashier:
Driver: I know
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
WRT my post above….for those who don’t know.  When you push hydrocarbons that are say 300*F up to 900*F through a pipe, and that pipe has a thin spot in its “wall”, when that thin spot finally lets go, and really hot hydrocarbons are spraying everywhere, once that stuff hits the air, it auto-ignites.

It doesn’t even need a source of ignition or a spark.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/C9D608F1-5E68-4015-8E01-99B7595580C7_jpe-2378892.JPG

View Quote

I don’t BLEVE it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Will hotdogs still be cheaper come 4th of July?
View Quote

I'm predicting $0.04 cheaper this year.  

But don't ask what's in them
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have an acre I mow, Ilike to keep the front of house nice with some weed and feed, one bag will do it. $78 dollars for a bag, not this year.  needed 2 gallons of sherman william paint to touch up decks, that was $125 with a 10% discount.   Cant wait to put fuel in my boat holds 80 gallons, it will be around six at my marina , Iam guessing.
View Quote

If diesel keeps going up I'll break even hiring a company to come out.  Save wear and tear on my tractor (1025).
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If diesel keeps going up I'll break even hiring a company to come out.  Save wear and tear on my tractor (1025).
View Quote

...until they hit you with the fuel surcharge.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
WRT my post above.for those who don't know.  When you push hydrocarbons that are say 300*F up to 900*F through a pipe, and that pipe has a thin spot in its "wall", when that thin spot finally lets go, and really hot hydrocarbons are spraying everywhere, once that stuff hits the air, it auto-ignites.

It doesn't even need a source of ignition or a spark.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/C9D608F1-5E68-4015-8E01-99B7595580C7_jpe-2378892.JPG

View Quote
Why, that hasn't happened in *checks calendar* six weeks!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are there any plastics, rubbers, synthetics, or lubes on those sweet hydrogen vehicles?  Just checking.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Are there any plastics, rubbers, synthetics, or lubes on those sweet hydrogen vehicles?  Just checking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like him to break down the processes of producing Hydrogen and what method he finds best and why.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I would like him to break down the processes of producing Hydrogen and what method he finds best and why.
View Quote
I make a fuck ton of H2 a day.

Of course, it's made with dinosaur corpses and steam.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not going to deny that Hydrogen, right now, is by far the best option of technology we fundamentally have, for clean fuels.

The problem with hydrogen is *exactly* what you point out: We don't have the ability to make it, cheaply.

If they crack the problem of producing cheap hydrogen, we'll start using hydrogen powered vehicles all day every day.  But we're not there. We're a long way from there.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Let’s go Brandon!
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top