Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2021 12:41:56 PM EDT
https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/03/13/development-company-claims-to-own-parts-of-hillsboro-inlet-backyards-of-several-nearby-houses/

POMPANO BEACH, Fla. – A property development company claims it owns parts of the Hillsboro Inlet and the backyards of several houses nearby.

Broward County property appraiser Marty Kiar said he’s never seen anything like it and is asking a judge for clarification before any property records are changed.

Kiar claims those affected were never informed about the matter.

The address 2000 Bay Drive in Pompano Beach is just south of the Hillsboro Inlet on the Atlantic.

According to Broward’s property appraiser, if a developer gets his way, the pool area behind the house will no longer belong to the owner of the house.

“This is something that I have never seen before,” Kiar said.

The property appraiser claims part of the area the developer claims to own includes parts of the Hillsboro Inlet and parts of a Coast Guard station, as well several backyards of million-dollar homes on Bay Drive.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Biden claims to be running things.

People claim all kinds of stuff.

Got to prove it.

(Did not click it.)
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I read the article. Still didn't make sense to me.  If the home owners already own the land I don't understand how this other guy is suddenly claiming it really belongs to him.  My impression from the article is that the neighbors should get together and make that developer a permanent installation of his submerged property, perhaps using some concrete shoes...
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Some title insurance companies are going to take a hit.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol. That's how you get murdered
View Quote

And your whole family as a warning to the next fuckstick to fuck around.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#6]
This is why people hate attorneys

“For $150,000 my client will let you use your dock”

Attorneys are scum
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Used to go surf fishing there before Pompano sold it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Attorneys are scum
View Quote

Until you need one.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Florida and waterway/beach access can be really goofy.

Don't live on the beach or a navigable river/stream if you don't want headaches.

Still... Dev. Is looking to get ded-ed with this shit.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Until you need one.
View Quote

Then a lot of them are still scum
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Until you need one.
View Quote

We’ve paid a very substantial amount to an attorney

My opinion isn’t changed
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Didn't read the article...  does it cover Adverse Possession?
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Property shenanigans are part and parcel of life in Florida and have been forever.

Be a shame if the person that instigated this ended up spending forever on their property.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Survey says........

wait, shit..
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Swaim needs to go for a swim.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not enough street justice in our country, if there was assholes would not try this shit.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We almost never make people crawl in hotel hallways then shoot them when their shorts fall down "and they reach for their waist line"

We also rarely have our offices burned down by angry mobs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"For $150,000 my client will let you use your dock"

Attorneys are scum
We almost never make people crawl in hotel hallways then shoot them when their shorts fall down "and they reach for their waist line"

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Look I know nothing of submerged lands.

But I have seen this before in the mountains.

Tom Chapman and Ron Curry are notorious motherfuckers who buy old ancient unused mining patents and wilderness parcels in remote and sensitive areas that have been public use for decades, even a century, then demand that the public stop using them and that other landowners grant access for road construction over wilderness or mountain terrain for supposed development projects. Sometimes they threaten to build huge mansions in these pristine areas. It is all a gambit to force a huge buyout or a lucrative property trade, usually for other desirable federal lands (larger and easier developed parcels). One time he tried to charge skiers for passing over his newly acquired patents in a rugged drainage and demanded Telluride ski area allow him to build a road through the middle of the ski area.

Sometimes, they lose in court, as they did in Telluride. Other times they win, like the time the shithead built a 7000sqft luxury home in the middle of a National Park to force a buyout at a multimillion dollar profit to avoid further construction in the park.

I bet that is the game here. Buy some ocean and charge people to use their docks... he's looking for a huge payout. It is predatory and extortion pure and simple.

Swaim and Chapman should hang out in hell.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Property disagreements between million-dollar homeowners and scumbags are boring. They involve court proceedings and lawyers.

Now, if the scumbags try to take something from someone who has nothing to lose...that's when it gets interesting.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attorneys are scum

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/temp-96.gif

Attachment Attached File

Boss just got scorched.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphy-84.gif

Boss just got scorched.
View All Quotes

I caught his post before the edit
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Didn't read article,  but my guess is someone doesn't know how mean lower low water affects propety lines.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attorneys are scum

Be interested in seeing suicide statistics as a result of actions done by police to people vs actions by attorneys
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Maybe Adverse Possession can apply.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

El Chapo has made his opinion known.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Be interested in seeing suicide statistics as a result of actions done by police to people vs actions by attorneys
View Quote

Does that include assisted suicides too?  
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attorneys are scum

Attorney involvement is precluded by police action in a majority of scenarios, sooo....
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Deerfield, just north of this story, has some private beach lots. One was privately purchased a couple years ago for a tax lein. The city got in a pissing match with the owner because they tried to tell him that he could not use the lot. He threw a trailer on.it in the middle of the night after that. In the end the city bought him out for a huge sum off his $3k investment. Now there are 2 more private lots that a woman inherited and she wants the same deal. This time the city is fining her and think they are hoping to take her property from her. I hope she sues and wins.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

No burning, but they look pretty angry.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#35]
After reading the article that guy is a grifter and a swindler.

He buys underwater properties and uses incorrect surveys to place a claim and sure adjoining properties for millions and settles for thousands.

Someone should make him go sleep on his property permanently... you know, with the fishes.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attorneys are scum

oof that had to hurt
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Does that include assisted suicides too?  
View Quote

Ooooof
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Attorney involvement is precluded by police action in a majority of scenarios, sooo....
View Quote

Na the ones that don’t involve the police are the ones people off themselves over

Custody, divorce, estates, money, etc
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#39]

“Serve and Protect”
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/03/13/development-company-claims-to-own-parts-of-hillsboro-inlet-backyards-of-several-nearby-houses/

POMPANO BEACH, Fla. – A property development company claims it owns parts of the Hillsboro Inlet and the backyards of several houses nearby.

Broward County property appraiser Marty Kiar said he’s never seen anything like it and is asking a judge for clarification before any property records are changed.

Kiar claims those affected were never informed about the matter.

The address 2000 Bay Drive in Pompano Beach is just south of the Hillsboro Inlet on the Atlantic.

According to Broward’s property appraiser, if a developer gets his way, the pool area behind the house will no longer belong to the owner of the house.

“This is something that I have never seen before,” Kiar said.

The property appraiser claims part of the area the developer claims to own includes parts of the Hillsboro Inlet and parts of a Coast Guard station, as well several backyards of million-dollar homes on Bay Drive.
View Quote

I would love to see his title chain.  As I understand it, the State of Florida owns submerged lands, and has owned them since Florida became a State.  They have ceded those rights to other political subdivisions (counties) if the county can show a public purpose/use (Port Authority is one type.)

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Maybe the judge forgot Broward v. Mabry, 50 So. 826, 830 (Fla. 1909) and  Coast Petroleum Co. v. American Cyanamid Co., 492 So. 2d 339 (Fla. 1986)

Fla. Const. Art. X (11); Hayes v. Bowman, 91 So. 2d 795, 800 (Fla. 1957).

This is for navigable waterways which this appears to be.  I’m guessing this is a scam, I’ve seen similar ones before.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Oh, a developer and attorney being scum?

You don't say.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I wonder if the developer knows the Coast Guard has lots of lawyers on staff who work closely with the state's AG.  
That's not a fight I would want to engage in.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Until you need one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attorneys are scum

Until you need one.

They are still scum. Just scum working for me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#46]
I'll bookmark this thread for the next time the TBL gets outraged that people say bad things about cops, and demands proof when we point out that people say bad things about other professions too.

I bet not one single lawyer reports any of the nasty comments about lawyers.  But if we replaced "lawyers" with "cops" in those posts, the TBL would send up multiple blue star clusters and mods would lock the thread.

We'll call it The @Akodo Effect.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  This is why I insist on title insurance in lieu of a title search.  The insurance company eats it for their negligence.  Saw that happen once in San Franciscograd where an empty lot adjacent to a house had an easement which the nsurance company failed to find.  When the purchasers wanted to develop it, the easement holder (Water Dept.) said nyet.  Title Insurance company had a big fecal sammich over that one.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uhm, don't the cops usually kill them long before they get a chance too suicide?

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Developer buys up submerged properties then goes after people who have docks that extend off their property into "his" submerged land. I guess he also tries to charge people to float above his underwater land, not sure if you can do that, sometimes you can
View Quote

You can have someone arrested for traspassing in a boat above your submerged land down here
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top