Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2019 4:16:13 PM EDT
I'm doing research on WW II and came across this from a former Golden Lion (106th Infantry Division) PoW, Sgt. Russell Lang.

German Black Bread Recipe
This recipe comes from the official record of the Food Providing Ministry which was published in Berlin, on 24 November 1941 (Top Secret) by the Directors in Ministry Herr Mansfeld and Herr Moritz.

50% bruised rye grains,
20% sliced sugar beets,
20% tree flour (saw dust*) and
10% minced leaves and straw

Note: “From our own experience with the black bread, we also saw bits of grass and sand.
Someone was cheating on the recipe.” Joseph P. O’Donnell, Robbinsville, New Jersey.

The German PoWs in the US were fed very well too.

link
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:05:40 AM EDT
[#1]
As food ran out, the government, bakers, and consumers began to try to stretch flour by adding other substances. Sawdust and plaster were the most common contaminates. The goal was to fill the stomach and hopefully get a little nutrition in the process.
View Quote
https://www.askaprepper.com/shocking-foods-that-people-ate-during-the-leningrad-siege/
Non food items as additives, and I guess that really could be anything.

I just found this after looking up what you posted. Lots of interesting stuff on WW1 rations too. Good post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top