Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow. Long time ago. Doesn’t seem like it.
Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I take it that isn't a laser guided bomb?  I was told the USN and USMC focused on improving aircraft bomb sights up until ODS, then saw the light after the USAF made such spectacular headlines with the AN/AVQ-26 Pave Tack system mounted in the forward bomb bay of the F-111.  I think El Dorado Canyon was the first operational use of Pave Tack, but ODS really brought LGB (as in Laser Guided Bombs, not "Lesbians, Gays, and Bisexuals") to the public's attention.
View Quote
Laser guided bombs were introduced late in the Vietnam War.  As I understand it, the Navy was slower to adopt them because they were expensive and safety considerations precluded bringing them back if the aircraft couldn't reach the target or couldn't bomb it due to smoke or heavy cloud cover.  The Navy did use them from the A-6E in Desert Storm, but the majority of strike aircraft in both services were still stuck using dumb bombs.  The LANTIRN pod for the F-15E and F-16 had just entered production, and the F-15E community got most if not all of the pods that were shipped over.  IIRC only about half the Strike Eagles in theater had pods by the ceasefire.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:33:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I always hear “One Vision” in my head when I see videos of our jets blowing shit up.

Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:47:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought a Beretta Desert Storm Commemorative 92.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/472/Beretta_M9_C_Web-505208.jpg
View Quote
Ha. I bought the same 92fs commemorative. Still shoot it today in 3 gun.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:53:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Intel was convinced that Saddam was going to launch a preemptive strike on Christmas.  Absolutely convinced, and they were selling it to everyone.  Something about he did it (attack during a major holiday) during the Iran/Iraq war.

I jockeyed the schedule so my flight was on alert over Christmas, so we spent the holiday with the jets.

Fucking intel.  Right again.  Fuckers make the weatherman look like Nostradamus.

When I got back from Baghdad after the first night, my honest-to-God first combat mission, the DO met us with...O'Doul's.  Fucking non-alcoholic piss water.  I remember thinking, "this is not what I read combat would be like."
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep, activated for that little war, but never got off the ground, stayed stateside.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#7]
God damn, 28 years???

I landed in Riyadh on 8/1/91 and left 8/1/93.

Left my appendix over there at H10 clinic.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:18:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Good on you OP.

At the time, did the notion of being one of the first to be ushering in the new age of modern warfare play on your mind, or did you embrace the new technology and chalk it up to doing what you were trained to do ?

Please do not take this question as offensive, the Gulf War brought in all sorts of unproven tech that was REALLY proven and put the US way above anybody in the World when it comes to going to battle.

It was amazing what you guys did in such a short period of time.

Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:27:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good on you OP.

At the time, did the notion of being one of the first to be ushering in the new age of modern warfare play on your mind, or did you embrace the new technology and chalk it up to doing what you were trained to do ?

Please do not take this question as offensive, the Gulf War brought in all sorts of unproven tech that was REALLY proven and put the US way above anybody in the World when it comes to going to battle.

View Quote
IIRC, GPS was one of those firsts, but only several hours per day.

I didn't know any better and just followed the truck in front of me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:33:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for sharing!  I  was a tank gunner, 2nd AD, Tiger Brigade, TF Ripper
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:36:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I was at KKMC and Doha, Kuwait for most of it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:40:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Intel was convinced that Saddam was going to launch a preemptive strike on Christmas.  Absolutely convinced, and they were selling it to everyone.  Something about he did it (attack during a major holiday) during the Iran/Iraq war.

I jockeyed the schedule so my flight was on alert over Christmas, so we spent the holiday with the jets.

http://i48.tinypic.com/986k4h.jpg

Fucking intel.  Right again.  Fuckers make the weatherman look like Nostradamus.

When I got back from Baghdad after the first night, my honest-to-God first combat mission, the DO met us with...O'Doul's.  Fucking non-alcoholic piss water.  I remember thinking, "this is not what I read combat would be like."
View Quote
On the plus side, you look just like Powers Booth in Red Dawn.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:42:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for sharing that.

I was in western Iraq waiting to roll across the berm.

28 years...some of it seem like yesterday still...my buddies that were KIA, I miss them, and damn it still hurts to think about that day. They would be 47 now, and Alaniz would be a grandfather...

C 3-15 Inf. 24th ID
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:47:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I couldn’t even last 5 minutes playing Zaxon back then let alone do what you did OP
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:11:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good on you OP.

We had two Magellan units in the company. It's funny now, but you CAN still get lost with GPS. We did on a night move. Nothing like watching a mech heavy TF going 180 degrees the worng way in the middle of the night with the CO and 1st Sgt yelling at each other over the radio.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 5:12:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Can't believe it's been this long.  I was in 5th grade at the time and dad was deployed with the Ohio ANG flying KC-135s out of Jeddah or Moron, Spain...
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Time does fly.

We lived at Nellis and my dad deployed to Saudi with the F-117's.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Time does fly.

We lived at Nellis and my dad deployed to Saudi with the F-117's.
View Quote
Fuck. I’m officially depressed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks to OP & others who served & fought in Desert Shield/Desert Storm.  For those who lost brothers, my most sincere condolences for those fine Americans lost (all better men than I could ever be).

Spent 8 months in theater (4th MEB).

Because of long-term health effects related to serving in that theater, I have lifetime free VA healthcare (no co-pays, no deductibles).
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i48.tinypic.com/986k4h.jpg

Yeah, but what are the chances I get to nail a young Leah Thompson?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fuck. I’m officially depressed.
View Quote
Hey i was only in 3rd grade
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:02:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I was 18 in HS-12 on the Indy. PC/LSE. We did a lot of cruises in 4 years.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I was a 26yo. SSG with 6-6 IN. We deployed from Germany on Christmas Day 1990.

It sure doesn't seem like it was 28 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Well if any of you guys looked to your left as you drove up the Tapline highway (I think it was also called Route Dodge) and saw the Engineers building the pipeline intended to fuel the big left hook into Iraq, you might have seen me.

We completed the pipeline the day before the invasion, but the war was over before fuel was pumped all the way through it.  They did push some fuel that supported the mop up operations.  We waited around a few weeks, and then took the pipeline apart so that it would be available if the Russians invaded Europe.

That was my contribution to the war: construction and removal of a boondoggle that wasn't used to support combat operations.

808 EN (Pipeline) USAR, Houston TX.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 5:57:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for all the great stories and comments to this post.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 6:09:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Plenty of other shit to remember, but one of the memories that always comes to mind first is tossing candy bars to the street kids in Hafar Al Batin. They'd scramble for 'em like goats in a petting zoo.

And haggling with Arab traders in the desert. Always trying to buy my M16 for $30 and a brass tea pot.

I still have the tea pot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I ended up in KKMC as a 29 year old E5.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for your service and the stories!!!! Hornet you were one of the honest to god high speed low drag folks!!!  Do we have any of the tankers on here that went through that? I just wondered what it was like from their perspective also.  I was 10 at that time. I made it over to that theater in 03 for Iraqi freedom on a little wooden boat.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing!  I  was a tank gunner, 2nd AD, Tiger Brigade, TF Ripper
View Quote
We went through the breach together.

Link Posted: 1/23/2019 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#30]
cool and thanks for your service
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 8:45:29 AM EDT
[#31]
very nice!

was out downhill skiing when they announced the ground war started....i figured my chance of going was 100% as we were and arctic infantry unit (army would send to the desert...)  did not go until 2015...lol...with the AF...
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#32]
I was at NTC Great Lakes, in MM A school.
Pretty much the butt end of the spear, but we got to wear civvies on liberty because of risk of the risk of terrorist attacks on uniforms, and the extra goodies in the galley were awesome too, tubs and tubs of candy bars and stuff...
Lots of free drinks when we would go to the city, one guy bought several bottles of liquor. Had to stash the liquor in snow piles beside the barracks. Somebody stole my whiskey, and I got stuck with some Captain Morgans. Still the worst hangover to date.

Proud of all you guys who got to tear shit up, I would've loved to have done more to support you. I did eventually become somewhat useful.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I ended up in KKMC as a 29 year old E5.
View Quote
Been there several times.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I love the smell of burning oil wells in the afternoon....

Picture taken at high noon near Al Jaber airfield.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I turned 24 in Iraq. Turned 28 in Afghanistan.  A few years after Desert Storm obviously.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I turned 24 in the S.A desert just on the S.A side of the berm.

I turned 24 in Iraq. Turned 28 in Afghanistan.  A few years after Desert Storm obviously.
Turned 40 the day I flew out of my tour in Afghanistan,  flying out on a C17 in the middle of a dust storm. Good times.

OP, that is so cool. Never got to do anything near as sweet as that. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
When I was a young 2LT all my NCOs had combat patches from Desert Storm. Not to many of those around now on AD.
View Quote
I've met several, but they also deployed again at some point during GWOT, to include a former AD 12C I Deployed with in 2013.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#37]
very cool OP

in 2003 did you hit a concrete factory or abandoned  hospital  near Al samawah Iraq??? at dawn I was suppose to be the breaching team leader at the hospital , If you are the hornet driver that destroyed it for us thank you, we were expecting 40% casualties that morning.  then the Navy agreed to bomb it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
very cool OP

in 2003 did you hit a concrete factory or abandoned  hospital  near Al samawah Iraq??? at dawn I was suppose to be the breaching team leader at the hospital , If you are the hornet driver that destroyed it for us thank you, we were expecting 40% casualties that morning.  then the Navy agreed to bomb it.
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top