Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2021 1:57:54 PM EDT
Replaced the inner door seals on a Delorean and found you have to apply some type of lubricant on the seals
so the doors will slide on the rubber and close correctly. I used THIS and
it works well but when you get into and out of this car you will touch or rub the seal and this stuff stays wet. I can order different
types but wanted to post here and see what knowledge can be found. Been working on this thing when possible for the last two
years and think it's at a point I can put it back in storage if the customer has the room
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I would try a dry lube like graphite.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I’d be afraid graphite would get on everything just as bad or worse.

What is the mating surface? Metal, another seal, plastic?  

How was this accomplished originally or was it an oversight and a problem area?

Shin-Etsu has a modified silicone grease (sold by Honda) that is often used used for door and window gaskets to help with sealing and pliability.

Would also look at the mating surface and make that as smooth and slick as possible.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks, but would be concerned if the graphite
would transfer to the door and then to the hands.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I have owned two Deloreans, both restored through DMC Texas, and never lubricated a door seal.
The doors close straight on the seal, very little sliding (pic added for reference during edit)
I did keep the ends of the torsion bar lubed a bit.
I believe I still have a factory manual in the garage and will look in it for reference and get back to you.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’d be afraid graphite would get on everything just as bad or worse.

What is the mating surface? Metal, another seal, plastic?  

How was this accomplished originally or was it an oversight and a problem area?

Shin-Etsu has a modified silicone grease (sold by Honda) that is often used used for door and window gaskets to help with sealing and pliability.

Would also look at the mating surface and make that as smooth and slick as possible.
View Quote

The seals make direct contact with the doors. So, rubber to unpainted stainless.  When I replaced them the doors closed but happened to walk straight at the car noticed the doors were bulged out. Did some searching and found a lot of owners have the issue and applying different stuff to help. I applied the  sil glide I linked in my OP and found that helped but I can't get into or out of the car without getting some on me.

Funny you mentioned the Honda stuff. I discovered it on line right after starting this thread.  I have put that on my.list as a possibility.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I did a bit of research for you - if the door is tight, a light layer of silicone grease or spray lubricant can be applied.

I also found a bit of cool Delorean memorabilia that I had forgotten about.  I have a binder of DMC paperwork, letters, diagrams, etc that came with one of my cars.  Cool from a historical perspective, thinking what Delorean could/may have become.
Here's a couple of pics:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I did a bit of research for you - if the door is tight, a light layer of silicone grease or spray lubricant can be applied.

I also found a bit of cool Delorean memorabilia that I had forgotten about.  I have a binder of DMC paperwork, letters, diagrams, etc that came with one of my cars.  Cool from a historical perspective, thinking what Delorean could/may have become.
Here's a couple of pics:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/398965/IMG_9924_jpg-1822331.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/398965/IMG_9925_jpg-1822333.JPG
View Quote

Cool pictures. I started working on this car about two years ago. When I picked it up from my customers storage I found one three ring binder with some manual material.  Later ordered the complete set from Delorean in Texas.  Nothing I have looks like your pictures.  Thinking that's probably OE stuff.

Back to the door seals. Thanks for the info. When I got the car the original door seals were worn and torn and one of the first things I replaced on the car. If I only knew how long I would be working on it I would have done them last.

Side note you might like.  This is a very early production car. Something like the 8th or 9th week of production. It was in storage for 8 years before I started working on it. I turned the owner down about 12 years ago when he asked if I would work on it. He had someone else work on it then went from that shop to storage again.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe a water based lube?  You know, like KY.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag, becuase Deloreans are neat looking cars. I take everyone who is a car person to visit Delorean Texas when they visit Houston.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Tag, becuase Deloreans are neat looking cars. I take everyone who is a car person to visit Delorean Texas when they visit Houston.
View Quote

I'll post more pictures if I find them this weekend.  Otherwise I'll take some new ones next week and post.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would rather that than some greasy type of lube.  I'm not talking hosing it down with the stuff but a light coat might let it slide and not spread.  I use it on my window tracks on my truck so they don't freeze shut in the winter.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would rather that than some greasy type of lube.  I'm not talking hosing it down with the stuff but a light coat might let it slide and not spread.  I use it on my window tracks on my truck so they don't freeze shut in the winter.
View Quote

Thinking about it again I'll get some and try applying to the contact area on the doors.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Looking good @thewrencher
Love the early hood with built in gas door, way more practical than having to open the hood for a fill up and I never had the trouble with it lifting/flapping at speed that some people report.

The diagrams I posted are from a binder of letters and invention submissions people would send in to DMC.  JZD would make notes on them, usually about how they didn't fit what he was looking for, and then there would be a nice letter from their legal department thanking the individual for their info.  Flying cars, retractable hardtops, single lever/stick driving systems, etc -- he really attracted the interest of creative and forward-thinking individuals.

Good luck on your door fit issue.  I hope the owner gets her back on the road soon because people love seeing them in the wild.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good luck on your door fit issue.  I hope the owner gets her back on the road soon because people love seeing them in the wild.
View Quote

Thanks. As far as the road goes I think it will go back in storage and put up for sale in the summer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#18]
If he is really likely to be selling it, before it gets too far back in storage, I'd love full details/pics/etc.  I have been missing having a Delorean around.
And don't worry about winter weather, Deloreans are great snow and ice cars. (?)  
This was my first, picked up sight unseen in Bend, OR for a drive home to MS.  First hour or so was a bit dicey but car did fantastically over the four day trip.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Just a side detour on the thread.

Last time I was in the Delorean show room in Houston, they had a replacement unibody(or whatever we call the part all the Stainless attaches to) in carbon fiber. The entire thing is lighter and light years stronger than the black thermo set stuff used originally. I want that pretty badly.

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#20]
We have a little bottle at work, used on door and sunroof seals and also quiets belts down. MB Special Sliding Compound PN A000 989 36 60. There is actually a whole "Noise Cancellation Kit" in a small white brief case with various lubricants and a chart for what to use between two surfaces. There is a thinner liquid in a spray bottle, but I have never found it to work as well as the Special Sliding Compound. I think we pay close to $50 for a 1 oz bottle, but it is available online a bit cheaper.

The stuff is magic, $50 of magic.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We have a little bottle at work, used on door and sunroof seals and also quiets belts down. MB Special Sliding Compound PN A000 989 36 60. There is actually a whole "Noise Cancellation Kit" in a small white brief case with various lubricants and a chart for what to use between two surfaces. There is a thinner liquid in a spray bottle, but I have never found it to work as well as the Special Sliding Compound. I think we pay close to $50 for a 1 oz bottle, but it is available online a bit cheaper.

The stuff is magic, $50 of magic.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll add it to the arsenal. Agree, little steep on the price but never know.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks @Foxtrot08

I now have a few to choose from. I'm going to try at least two different lubricants on this car and will post results when
I am able to get back to it again
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks @Foxtrot08

I now have a few to choose from. I'm going to try at least two different lubricants on this car and will post results when
I am able to get back to it again
View Quote

@D_man might have some other suggestions. But I’d probably just use the super lube. Unless it’s too picky with dust and such. Then we can look at other solutions.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Although pricey, I have good luck with lubricating O-rings for assembly with Fluoropolymer-grease like Krytox.  I have used GPL-226 specifically.  It stays put and is inert.  It is compatible with most rubber including EPDM.  It's white in color so no black marks if you touch it.  It's not soluable in water so it shouldn't wash away.  Again it's $$$.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@D_man might have some other suggestions.
View Quote
To make it easy and affordable to acquire, Super-Lube O-ring Silicone grease, apply it to the rubber seal and spread around in a nice thin coat.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:26:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice to see a Delorean thread.

Howdy from #5450

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#28]
The middle link with the tub of MB grease was super popular years ago, we used it to grease the fuzzy sunroof seals. Those seals went away a long time ago, the new rubber seals do not "absord" the thicker grease like they used to.

I wouldn't want a tacky/thick grease on a door seal.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nice to see a Delorean thread.

Howdy from #5450

https://i.imgur.com/tr7gDT9.jpg
View Quote

Hi from 0643. Don't think customer will mind me sharing
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The middle link with the tub of MB grease was super popular years ago, we used it to grease the fuzzy sunroof seals. Those seals went away a long time ago, the new rubber seals do not "absord" the thicker grease like they used to.

I wouldn't want a tacky/thick grease on a door seal.
View Quote

Yep, I'm old enough to remember the fuzzy seals. Heck, if I remember correctly earlier 60's had them on the door panels meeting the glass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top