Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2021 8:28:47 AM EDT
Hello,

I'm curious if anyone currently has a dedicated full spectrum host they use on a regular basis. I admit this idea is a little over my head as I've never messed with full spectrum conversions or even filters for that matter.

Currently I'm looking at a good used, or older mirrorless or point and shoot with threaded lenses, but not really sure what to go with. I don't want the host to be too expensive as it's dedicated to a novelty camera, but I also don't want to cheap out and have crap photos. I'd be sending it out to have the conversion done, this isn't something I want to try on my own to accomplish.

I mainly want this for aerochrome shots, but would explore other filters as my curiosity grows.

Thanks!

Edit: Hell of an accidental 666 post lol
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you made any progress on this?

Not exactly what you asked, but I'm considering getting a DSLR with a full-spectrum mod - to permit experiments with astrophotography as well as experiments with capturing UV, different types of IR scenic photos, and the like.

Maybe something like a Canon 1100D or Nikon D5500 or D5300 or similar.

Have not yet investigated the range of lens-front filters that might be available to customize the response (although it's possible that somewhere I have a wratten-I-forget-what-maybe-87 filter from way back when I tried a roll or two of IR-sensitive Ektachrome or B&W film.

Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#2]
From everything I have seen, the common approach to UV photos is to purchase a lower-end DSLR then send it to one of the big-name conversion companies to get the filter stack on the sensor adjusted.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you made any progress on this?

Not exactly what you asked, but I'm considering getting a DSLR with a full-spectrum mod - to permit experiments with astrophotography as well as experiments with capturing UV, different types of IR scenic photos, and the like.

Maybe something like a Canon 1100D or Nikon D5500 or D5300 or similar.

Have not yet investigated the range of lens-front filters that might be available to customize the response (although it's possible that somewhere I have a wratten-I-forget-what-maybe-87 filter from way back when I tried a roll or two of IR-sensitive Ektachrome or B&W film.

View Quote

Yes and no actually. I tried to do as much research as possible before committing to a camera body. The general consensus was that mirrorless bodies are best for full spectrum hosts. Given that I'm doing this for street and landscape photography I was able to find something a little less fancy. I stumbled into a Sony A6000 with the included kit lens for $175 on Facebook marketplace and bought it. Soon I will send it out to have the conversion done and pick up a Sigma 30mm F1.4 lens so it can travel everywhere with me.

The funny thing is, I didn't know until after I bought the camera that Sony's sensors don't do well with the type of infared I want to shoot, so all shots will have to be slightly tweaked in order to get the colors I'm hoping for. Oh well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top