Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive seen airliner crashes that were more intact
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m glad I ran into this thread.

My in-laws have offered me their RV in the past, but I’ve always politely declined. I’ve driven it a short distance and hated it. Stresses me out thinking about driving it cross country.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Got to see the guts of my buddies today… I had no idea those shitboxes were made of wood. No fucking way Id get in one now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:50:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

An RV allows you to sleep in locations nicer than any hotel on earth.

You sleep in your own bed every night (rather than a bed that was occupied by a stranger just a few hours earlier), surrounded by your own things.

Your have your own private kitchen, complete with a fridge stocked with your favorite foods and drinks.

There are no strangers coming into your room every day to clean it, no neighbors slamming doors at all hours of the night, no mandatory face daipers, and any dead hookers under the beds are ones you put there yourself.

Touring from hotel to hotel is for Europeans.

RVing is an American heritage.
View Quote

I can appreciate if that is how you and others vacation. If that gives you satisfaction and relaxation, I won't say you should stop doing it.

Things we do at home:
-make the beds
-cook food
-clean up

This sounds kind of what a portion of life in an RV is like.

When we vacation, we like to avoid doing the chores we do at home (in fact, part of the money we pay is to specifically avoid most of that) and we like to try the local foods of the places we visit, and not have to care about stocking a fridge or cleaning the dishes; and to experience the area and its offerings. as much as we can.
Sometimes, we do hotels, other times (particularly outside the US) we will do AirBNB type things, so we do get some of the bed making chores.

As to locations, it depends what you enjoy and there are going to be locations that don't have hotels and locations that do, and don't have VR access.

It really isn't a Euro vs. US thing (and euros LOVE their caravan holidays, btw)

We did enjoy waking up to this everyday in a rental.

Attachment Attached File

That is why RVing does not appeal to us, but not everyone is like us, and we can understand that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

For what one of those cost, you can buy a nice grand touring car and stay at hotels for a night,many many times. Or fly and stay at a hotel at your destination.  Rv's are like cruise ships to me... I don't get the appeal.

I can see their use for race teams or rock bands, but as a thing for recreation and enjoyment, not so much.

View Quote

Respectfully you can go far more places that have no hotels. I was just at Sebastian inlet on the water and there is no hotel there. The view was spectacular.

Many places we camp have nearby restaurants and amenities as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:13:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The ones built on a bus/motor-coach chassis seem much more solid than the plywood box style shown in that wreck.

My uncle's business builds and sells custom conversion RVs and tour-busses on bluebird chassis, so I've gotten to see them in various states of assembly over the years.
View Quote

Yea, like anything there are gradients.

Most travel trailers are good for a few years before they fall apart.

I have a 1966 airstream that’s still really solid.

Same with rv’s. There’s cheap ass units, any then there are million dollar plus units.

Some are built incredibly well and will last 30 years if you take care of them. Some will not.

That’s horrible. I’ve always thought trailer/RV wrecks are the worst. On your way to have a great time when that happens.

Most of the time it’s at no fault of the driver. I’ve had some damn close calls involving dumb fuck drivers that just have to get around you on a shoulder or a merge lane to save 2 seconds off their drive. Safety of you and your wife and kids be damned.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:18:11 AM EDT
[#7]
That's worthy of a NTSB investigation.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:19:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I can appreciate if that is how you and others vacation. If that gives you satisfaction and relaxation, I won't say you should stop doing it.

Things we do at home:
-make the beds
-cook food
-clean up

This sounds kind of what a portion of life in an RV is like.

When we vacation, we like to avoid doing the chores we do at home (in fact, part of the money we pay is to specifically avoid most of that) and we like to try the local foods of the places we visit, and not have to care about stocking a fridge or cleaning the dishes; and to experience the area and its offerings. as much as we can.
Sometimes, we do hotels, other times (particularly outside the US) we will do AirBNB type things, so we do get some of the bed making chores.

As to locations, it depends what you enjoy and there are going to be locations that don't have hotels and locations that do, and don't have VR access.

It really isn't a Euro vs. US thing (and euros LOVE their caravan holidays, btw)

We did enjoy waking up to this everyday in a rental.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/38726/20181219_071339_jpg-2036785.JPG

That is why RVing does not appeal to us, but not everyone is like us, and we can understand that.
View Quote

We do both. We have a 34 foot 5th wheel and take it places that have views that can be better than that that have no hotels. We also stay in hotels. Doing both is better than only doing it one way.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:26:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If I had the means, I would have a semi truck based toterhome with a stacker trailer.
Stacker would have a built Jeep or Tacoma and a Porsche Cayman in it. Travel the country hitting racetracks, backroads and trails.
View Quote

That sounds awesome !
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:29:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

An RV allows you to sleep in locations nicer than any hotel on earth.

View Quote

Never stayed at anything other than a Motel 8 or Days Inn I take it ?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I just got back from a cross country trip and was surprised to see how many people tow a travel trailer at 80+ mph. Seems like a good opportunity for a blown tire and bad stuff to happen.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just got back from a cross country trip and was surprised to see how many people tow a travel trailer at 80+ mph. Seems like a good opportunity for a blown tire and bad stuff to happen.
View Quote

When I see that happen it’s usually 5th wheels. Not sure why.

Agreed. I run truck tires on my trailers, but still. I usually don’t get above 70 when it’s open and clear.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm a member of several RVing groups on FB. It's crazy how often newbies ask if they can keep their kids or pets in a bumper pull.

A few weeks ago a lady with 11 kids asked that because they all can't fit in the truck, lol. I told here sure if she wanted to lose half her tribe and posted a picture of a camper turned into toothpicks.

I was told I'm a big meanie.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Got to see the guts of my buddies today… I had no idea those shitboxes were made of wood. No fucking way Id get in one now.
View Quote

Mine is a aluminum frame, wood and fiberglass. If I wrecked it would be in a million pieces.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Sticks and staples.  That's what holds most of them together.

We'll stick with a travel trailer.  If something bad happens, we'll be in the tow rig, a lot safer.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've stayed in $400-a-night hotels that still had all the disadvantages I previously mentioned.

No amount of money gets you a hotel bed that someone else wasn't sleeping in just a few hours earlier.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've stayed in $400-a-night hotels that still had all the disadvantages I previously mentioned.

No amount of money gets you a hotel bed that someone else wasn't sleeping in just a few hours earlier.
View Quote

Boss won't use hotel bed linens. He packs a suitcase with his own when traveling. In the morning when he gets up, he strips them back off and packs them away so housekeeping doesn't swap them out.  
After finding a used condom in his bed once, it's all it took.   And now with the bed bug issues, I do everything I can to avoid staying at hotels.  No matter what they cost.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#19]

It looks like it's going to be a really nice RV. That said, and I swear I'm not trying to be a jerk, ever notice that even race cars built of exotic material have braced steel roll bars or cages around the occupant(s).  The chassis itself is heavy duty but everything built on top of it looks to be welded aluminum (and I may be missing something looking at just the one picture and I'm certainly no engineer); personally I would want some sort of braced steel structure around the forward driver and passenger seats.  As someone else said, school buses are actually one of the safer chassis, at least until builders start cutting them up and modifying them (if you ever take a school bus extrication class they're a PITA to cut up).
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
At first I thought it was a bumper pull trailer.

Then, I saw the rolling chassis!

Wow, that thing de-constructed itself!!

Poor driver didn’t stand a chance.
View Quote

Yeah, I figured this thread was going to be about improper towing setup.  I was surprised...
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#21]

This is why when I wanted an rv to travel in with my family I built my own out of a school bus. Diesel pusher, all the comforts of home.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is why when I wanted an rv to travel in with my family I built my own out of a school bus. Diesel pusher, all the comforts of home.
View Quote

That's the way to do it.  It'll last forever as long as you can keep the rust at bay.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Many RV parks don't allow school buses - they tend to look like trashy hippie-mobiles.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We passed that wreck going northbound.  I was driving and didn't get a good look, just assumed a flatbed carrying cardboard bales went off road.
View Quote

Is it bad that I laughed at that?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Many RV parks don't allow school buses - they tend to look like trashy hippie-mobiles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True story
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#26]
was a family going to the Loretta nationals...amateur mx
sad
i beleive there were Club MX people
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Remind me to not ride in an self-driving RV. I'm casually looking at travel trailers for tow with my truck but I see no use for those types of RV's personally and I was never under the impression they weren't anything more than death traps.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never had a problem with that. But we aren’t trashy hippies either. Neither are we the typical stuck up RV type.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Never had a problem with that. But we aren’t trashy hippies either. Neither are we the typical stuck up RV type.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not a stuck up RV type. But he right about many private parks not allowing busses and units more than 10 years old in.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Was this the one where the driver set the Cruise and went back to make a samich?.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

For what one of those cost, you can buy a nice grand touring car and stay at hotels for a night,many many times. Or fly and stay at a hotel at your destination.  Rv's are like cruise ships to me... I don't get the appeal.

I can see their use for race teams or rock bands, but as a thing for recreation and enjoyment, not so much.

View Quote

There are vast segments of this country that don't have hotels.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Was this the one where the driver set the Cruise and went back to make a samich?.
View Quote

I've personally seen people set the cruise control, and then switch drivers.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And vast amounts of people that do not realize that having an RV does not preclude us from staying at hotels as well as camping.

I stayed 4 nights on a waterfront lot in Cudjoe key 2 weeks ago that cost 600 total. We have hotel reservations for 5 nights in Oct at Islamorada and Key West that will cost over 4 thousand total.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Set the cruise control and went back to make a cup of coffee?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#35]
What time did it happen?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There's a growing segment called Super C built on commercial truck chassis and some of the manufacturers are trying to build stronger structures since the chassis can handle the weight, but they are pricey!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most RVs, including the well known expensive ones, are extremely poorly built to keep weight down and don't do well at all in accidents.   The big diesel pushers like the Prevosts are better but only if you're seatbelts in one of the front seats.

There's a growing segment called Super C built on commercial truck chassis and some of the manufacturers are trying to build stronger structures since the chassis can handle the weight, but they are pricey!

They are all built atop a commercial chassis, be it Freightliner, Spartan etc.  The problem is its a box atop the frame Semi monocoque, the Super C motor homes are the same.   Prevost and Newell are monocoque chassis, where the chassis and box are all built as one, much stronger and a $mill more spendy.

And no...a seat belt would not have helped...
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Depends on what you're doing with the RV. Just driving driving to the KOA to go "camping/glamping"? maybe.

Traveling by RV has it's perks, I have a toy hauler and bring along our dual sports and GSD along. With a camper, I stop wherever I want when I'm tired of driving, find a parking lot or wide spot along side the road, plenty of places out west where you can have lots of solitude. I don't have to find a hotel that accepts pets, drag bags to a room, put the dog up, drive to a restaurant for dinner or breakfast.

Boondocking on BLM land, National Forrest land or National Recreation Area beats the hell out of a hotel any day. We pick an in the middle of the area we want to explore, set up camp and unload the bikes and go, the dog gets to chill in the camper while were out. The areas I'm interested a hotel is going to be many miles from where I want to be. Hotels also forbid unattended pets in the rooms (for good reason). RVing can give you options/freedom that hotel/motels just don't have.

I also travel for work and live out of hotels for more than half of the year, hotels suck and it's one of the last places I want to be when I'm on vacation.

Back to the OP: RVs are built flimsy as hell and most get reduced to matchsticks in an accident, there's a section of I-90 over by Livingston, MT that gets really bad crosswinds, the sides of the highway are often littered with the splintered remains of campers that got blown over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every time i've crunched the numbers an RV just doesn't make any sense. It's easier/cheaper to road trip with a regular vehicle and hit hotels for long trips or just fly to where I need to be.
Depends on what you're doing with the RV. Just driving driving to the KOA to go "camping/glamping"? maybe.

Traveling by RV has it's perks, I have a toy hauler and bring along our dual sports and GSD along. With a camper, I stop wherever I want when I'm tired of driving, find a parking lot or wide spot along side the road, plenty of places out west where you can have lots of solitude. I don't have to find a hotel that accepts pets, drag bags to a room, put the dog up, drive to a restaurant for dinner or breakfast.

Boondocking on BLM land, National Forrest land or National Recreation Area beats the hell out of a hotel any day. We pick an in the middle of the area we want to explore, set up camp and unload the bikes and go, the dog gets to chill in the camper while were out. The areas I'm interested a hotel is going to be many miles from where I want to be. Hotels also forbid unattended pets in the rooms (for good reason). RVing can give you options/freedom that hotel/motels just don't have.

I also travel for work and live out of hotels for more than half of the year, hotels suck and it's one of the last places I want to be when I'm on vacation.

Back to the OP: RVs are built flimsy as hell and most get reduced to matchsticks in an accident, there's a section of I-90 over by Livingston, MT that gets really bad crosswinds, the sides of the highway are often littered with the splintered remains of campers that got blown over.

I saw an RV, with one of its slides extended, parked in the median of I95 getting the business from a state trooper over the weekend.

I guess you can't put down "make a sammich absolutely wherever you want" as an advantage.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#38]

no opportunity wasted
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Winnebago Warrior
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I saw an RV, with one of its slides extended, parked in the median of I95 getting the business from a state trooper over the weekend.

I guess you can't put down "make a sammich absolutely wherever you want" as an advantage.

Kharn
View Quote

Maybe he had a slide malfunction and was driving with slide out. It has been done.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Maybe he had a slide malfunction and was driving with slide out. It has been done.
View Quote

I have done it in mine.  Not because I wanted to, but the motor that extends and retracts it burned out.  Was only one of the four slides that didn't retract, was on the passenger side, so yes I did drive it fours hours home.  

The fabric cover over the top of the slide, cost more to replace than the slide motor did.  

Mine is a beast, its actually built on something similar to the Prevost chassis, it weighs in at 58,000 pounds, with 450 HP, thru an Allison 6 speed.  I pass 18 wheelers going up hills, towing a car carrier trailer with a Jeep on it.  I usually keep it under 75 on the highway though, the real limiting factor on the real big RV's, are the tires.  They are not cheap, I hate throwing away a tire with lots of miles left, that has hit its five year mark on the built from date, but it is the best way to not have a bad tire incident.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Gillig is not really a "school bus".  Though some schools use Gilligs.    
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I am not surprised to see the motorhome wrecked like that.  It looks to me like it probably rolled too.  

That ditch looks pretty unforgiving.  Hitting that is going to tenderize the sticks and staples and a roll will flay it out in the ditch.  

I have seen rolled RV's,  I've seen RV's that were in accidents, I have seen RV's that have been wedged or sucessfully drug under low bridges and overhangs.

I have worked on them..  

They are pretty tough generally.  More than one would think.  One thing they are not however... Is being tolerant of being repeatedly subjected to mistreatment that causes chassis and body flex.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Wet cleanup in lane 2………and 3………….and the shoulder….
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 8:16:12 AM EDT
[#46]
I didn't know those Buss type RV's were built as cheaply as the trailers.

Good to know.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I didn't know those Buss type RV's were built as cheaply as the trailers.

Good to know.
View Quote

Not all are..

Some are actually build very well. But they will cost you more.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top