Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2021 8:48:46 PM EDT
Recently I noticed that some biz jet single point fueling systems have the ability to "de-fuel". This makes total sense, since you might have to board more pax than the current fuel state might allow.

I'm curious, though: how is this handled financially? Does the FBO buy the fuel back from you? At what rate? I bet it's easy to get hosed on the value of the fuel taken off.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#1]
When I worked part-time as a ramp rat, whenever we de-fueled a kerosene burner, we used 1 specific truck for it (not all fuel trucks has the defuel capability) and ran the fuel through some really fine particulate and water filters before putting it back in service.

The aircraft owner was reimbursed at the FBO's purchase price or given a fuel credit if it was a home-based bird or a regular customer. Policy was minimum 100 gallons for a defuel, unless the plane was coming in for maintenance and had to be defueled; in that case, the fuel taken out was put back in after the maintenance was done.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Some places give you a discounted credit
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Many FBO's will not de-fuel, and its understandable, lawyers and all...

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#4]
De-fueling can be a nightmare. My local FBO won’t do it but we have transferred fuel from one jet to another.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I flew a Beech 400 for the air force for a bit... if we had fuel issues we'd normally just burn it down before taking off.  There are more than a few stories of a crew sitting on the ground for an hour with the parking brake set, letting it burn.

Admittedly, it was a relatively small tank on that bird.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:02:48 AM EDT
[#6]
There are very few FBO's these days who will defuel. It is considered contaminated fuel once it comes off an airplane, as it has not gone through the FBO's supply chain and inspection procedures and is really an unknown quality. Not to mention the state of the airplanes fuel tank interior. Any FBO that puts defueled fuel into another aircraft is severely opening themselves up to liability, and most of them know it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:32:20 AM EDT
[#7]
When I was flying little planes in Alaska; Jet Fuel that comes out of the tanks goes into the waste oil burning heater, or the bosses diesel pickup.   AvGas drained from the sump goes into my non-catalytic converter equipped pickup.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:42:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I flew a Beech 400 for the air force for a bit... if we had fuel issues we'd normally just burn it down before taking off.  There are more than a few stories of a crew sitting on the ground for an hour with the parking brake set, letting it burn.

Admittedly, it was a relatively small tank on that bird.
View Quote
I rode along on a charter flight where taking off with enough fuel to make it to the alternate airport meant landing too heavy at out destination. This was in a 737-800. The landing gear was down for a large chunk of that flight....
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There are very few FBO's these days who will defuel. It is considered contaminated fuel once it comes off an airplane, as it has not gone through the FBO's supply chain and inspection procedures and is really an unknown quality. Not to mention the state of the airplanes fuel tank interior. Any FBO that puts defueled fuel into another aircraft is severely opening themselves up to liability, and most of them know it.
View Quote

This is very true, and like others have so, those that will, won't put it in another plane.

My part-time ramp rat gig was 25 years ago. Things were a little different then. Not smarter, just different.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I rode along on a charter flight where taking off with enough fuel to make it to the alternate airport meant landing too heavy at out destination. This was in a 737-800. The landing gear was down for a large chunk of that flight....
View Quote

Wouldn't the excess fuel burn mean that you couldn't make the alternate anyway?  I get that some places this is a thing, but seems like poor flight planning to me.   Or at least a bad selection of aircraft for the mission.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

1. That doesn’t make any sense and I find it incredibly hard to believe.
2. If that was in the USA it was also illegal.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the responses, gents. It doesn't sound like it's a very common occurrence. It also sounds like something that might have once been more common that has now, like almost everything in aviation, been made effectively verboten by the de facto regulations of the underwriters. I read on another site of an FBO charging $1/gal and you were out the cost of the fuel. It makes me wonder what they do with such fuel?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

1. That doesn't make any sense and I find it incredibly hard to believe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. That doesn't make any sense and I find it incredibly hard to believe.
1. Frankly, it doesn't make much sense to me either, and I was there. I've ridden a long on that route several times before and since that time, and it was never an issue. The only thing I can think of that is different would be bad weather around our alternate airport. All I know for sure is that is what the pilots were saying right in front of me before we took off.
2. Not that it matters, but we were out of the USA soon after taking off, and we didn't land in the USA.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only way that makes sense is if the airplane was overfueled/overweight and unable to be defueled, and the crew was trying to give an excuse that didn't sound like they or the dispachers just fucked up the fueling or planning. Pro tip- Never take a pilot's statements at face value. ;)

Either way that one deserves a big wtf?!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:03:16 AM EDT
[#15]
An old-timer told me that if I ever heard the word, "de-fuel" to go get something to eat.  So when the depositions start, you could say you were eating when it happened and did not see anything.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses, gents. It doesn't sound like it's a very common occurrence. It also sounds like something that might have once been more common that has now, like almost everything in aviation, been made effectively verboten by the de facto regulations of the underwriters. I read on another site of an FBO charging $1/gal and you were out the cost of the fuel. It makes me wonder what they do with such fuel?
View Quote

Not very many FBOs do it anymore in my experience. We have a tough time finding people that will do it, unless it’s a 145 repair station or MRO.

If the fuel isn’t contaminated, it can go back in the customers aircraft or in the defuelers’ GSE.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#17]
In 30 years of bizjet flying I’ve only seen it done at the request of maintenance and then at an MRO
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
How often did you dodge deer or geese on landing?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How often did you dodge deer or geese on landing?
View Quote
Never. I definitely regret sharing that story, but what's done is done.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

FBO I worked at, over 20 years ago, had a truck that was capable of defueling and had some sort of filtration, but they would only defuel at the request of the maintenance shop, and even then the fuel was drained into large plastic trash cans (that the maintenance shop kept just for that purpose, so they were clean), then sucked up with a hose from the truck.  That allowed a mechanic and the line guy to watch for any visible contamination in the fuel.  I haven't got a clue how it was billed, though.

In more recent years, I've seen fuel either condemned (mostly ended up in ground vehicles of various types), or drained into a fuel cart in the maintenance shop, then later put back into the same plane (with a filtration system on the cart).
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Never had to worry about that on the big aircraft. Usually defueling because of an inop fuel gauge or some other idiot putting fuel in wrong tank.

Defueling was a bitch.

FBO? Only problems were getting the bizjet customers to buy more fuel. Many would show up fat FOB.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top