Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2021 3:56:05 AM EDT
I want to make a database to track expenses. This wouldn't be my main accounting process/software, but rather a way to store and find specific transactions or groups of transactions.

I would make this in MS Access/Libre Office Base.

I would have 3 Main Tables:

Line Items - Specific things/services I bought
Expenses - Groups of line items (or can be a single line item) constituting the main thing accounted for
Transactions - A monetary exchange between me and another party

The idea of having 3 different tables is that I want to account for a single "Expense" but that expense might have multiple line items and transactions.

For example, suppose I go on a trip to Las Vegas. I would have several Line Items (The flight, lunches, dinners, gas, etc) but I want to have a single record of the entire trip (the "Expense" in this case).

Another example would be a built a new server. I might have several Line Items such as the chassis, the motherboard, etc. But each would be a single line item (unless I just bought a single server outright).

Anybody have any input on this?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't Quicken already do that?

Personal Finance Software
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top