Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/19/2021 2:34:58 PM EDT
https://amp.dispatch.com/amp/4210482001?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&__twitter_impression=true

According to police, the incident was captured on security cameras in the garage and happened around 11:30 p.m. Monday.

The video showed Strauss dropping her credit card while attempting to pay for her parking as she was leaving the garage. Strauss is seen on the video reaching down to pick up the credit card and apparently accidentally stepping on the accelerator in her vehicle.

The vehicle moved forward, causing her head to become trapped between the car and the toll booth.

Strauss was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

According to records, Strauss is a native of Florida and was a graduate student at Ohio State, studying social work.
View Quote

Victim:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
https://amp.dispatch.com/amp/4210482001?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&__twitter_impression=true

A dropped credit card is believed to be responsible for an accident in a Downtown parking garage that left a woman dead.

Around 5:40 a.m. Tuesday, police were called on a report of an unresponsive woman at a parking garage on Vine Street, near the Arena District.

The woman had been found by a security guard with her head stuck between her vehicle and the exit toll booth of the garage.

According to police, the incident was captured on security cameras in the garage and happened around 11:30 p.m. Monday.

The video showed the woman attempting to pay for her parking as she was leaving the garage when she dropped her credit card. The woman is seen on the video reaching down to pick up the credit card and accidentally stepping on the accelerator in her vehicle.

The vehicle moved forward, causing the woman's head to become trapped between the car and the toll booth.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics. Her name has not been released.
View Quote
View Quote

Dead is pretty unresponsive.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Ban paid parking garages (I actually wouldn't miss em if this happened)
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#5]
One should always use their head when they get into a tight spot.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Lol!

On a related note, we had a guy at a local concrete company remove his own head with the door of his mixer.

He was backing up and stuck his head out of the door looking for a pole and the pole was right there and offed him.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Remember folks, always be careful when heading out of the office.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#8]
At least she died doing what she loved.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#9]
That is Darwinish but I don't believe it's far fetched that it couldn't have happened to many others attempting the same thing. Kind of just some terrible luck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#10]
That's no way to get ahead at her job.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Obviously only her brain was in neutral.....
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That is Darwinish but I don't believe it's far fetched that it couldn't have happened to many others attempting the same thing. Kind of just some terrible luck.
View Quote

Yeah. I feel really bad for her family
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#14]
An older guy did that at a drive thru restaurant.  Dropped his change and opened the door slightly to pick it up.  Stepped on gas while turning the wheel slightly toward the wall and sandwiched his head in the door.  I was first on scene but there was nothing to be done.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Earlier this summer I was mowing around one of my apple trees on my zero turn...Done this thousands of times, however for some odd reason this time, when I ducked to miss a huge low hanging branch, and leaned slightly to the left, must have pushed the left handle back just enough that the zero turn actually spun me into the tree, and pinned my neck to my shoulder on the low hanging branch making what sounded like a 4-5 .22 shots going off.. Scared the fuck out of me... My neck was stiff for a few weeks, but she's all good now.. To be fair, These trees are at the back of my property, so I average about 2-3 beers per acre when mowing, so I was the better part of a 12 pack deep when this happened.. Now I just do all the trees, and obstacles first, and than start to drink my beers and make pretty lines...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Personally, I wouldn't ever open my door or try to exit (partially or completely) my vehicle without putting it in park first.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#18]
How long before her family files suit...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, kinda crazy. I can't see why she didn't put it in park, though. Whenever I have to open my door the first thing I do is put the car in park.
ETA: Now I'm REALLY sad after seeing her pic.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#20]
How the resale value of the car
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#21]
From the linked article: According to records, Strauss is a native of Florida and was a graduate student at Ohio State, studying social work.

Surprised?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#22]
She should sue herself for negligence.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#23]
The guy that played Chekov in the new Star Trek movie died in a similar fashion.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The guy that played Chekov in the new Star Trek movie died in a similar fashion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No shit, I forgot all about that. From his wikipedia page:

On June 18, 2016, when he failed to arrive at a rehearsal, Yelchin was found by friends just before midnight pinned between his Jeep Grand Cherokee and a brick pillar gate post[33] outside his house in Studio City, Los Angeles, the victim of what was described as a "freak accident".[34][35] As Yelchin got out of his car and went to check his locked gate and mail, the vehicle apparently rolled back down his driveway, which was on a steep incline, and trapped him against the pillar and a security fence. Yelchin was pronounced dead at the scene on June 19, 2016, at the age of 27;[36] the Los Angeles County Coroner's office identified the cause of death as "blunt traumatic asphyxia" and stated that there were "no obvious suspicious circumstances involved".
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Enubriated.  Her stylish probably stiletto type heels slipped off the brake and onto the accelerator.  DRT
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#26]
nice lookin' girl... not to bright..
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#28]
The worst story was the Asian couple trying to park a mini van in a parking garage stall. Iirc, dad was behind, mom backing up with head out window. Wall takes her head off, van accelerates and squishes dad against Wall. Their young daughter was in the back seat.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  It made me cringe, precisely because that shit almost happened to me once.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Her cappa was detated.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Dang, one less hottie out there.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#33]
That's sad. I'd put that more in the freak accident category than a Darwin award winner.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Not bad looking.

I've dropped my card and been pissed enough to crash over the toll booth. If I took off my own head because of that I would be even more pissed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#35]
You know that carnival comes into
Town every year? Well this year they came through with a ride
Called The Mixer. The man said, "Keep your head, and arms, inside
The Mixer at all times." But Bill Jr, he was a DAAAREDEVIL, just
Like his old man. He was leaning out saying "Hey everybody,
Look at me! Look at me!" Pow! He was decapitated!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn she did it at 1130 at night and found the next morning. 23 years old.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Earlier this summer I was mowing around one of my apple trees on my zero turn...Done this thousands of times, however for some odd reason this time, when I ducked to miss a huge low hanging branch, and leaned slightly to the left, must have pushed the left handle back just enough that the zero turn actually spun me into the tree, and pinned my neck to my shoulder on the low hanging branch making what sounded like a 4-5 .22 shots going off.. Scared the fuck out of me... My neck was stiff for a few weeks, but she's all good now.. To be fair, These trees are at the back of my property, so I average about 2-3 beers per acre when mowing, so I was the better part of a 12 pack deep when this happened.. Now I just do all the trees, and obstacles first, and than start to drink my beers and make pretty lines...
View Quote

Holy shit, lol!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're gonna make fun of a hottie about her intelligence, at least spell-check your shit.
FUCK! A bunch of dumbasses around here!!
Oh, it's TOO, not to.
FUCK!

But yeah, check yoself.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Why is this funny??
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If you're gonna make fun of a hottie about her intelligence, at least spell-check your shit.
Oh, it's TOO, not to.
FUCK!

But yeah, check yoself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, it's TOO, not to.
FUCK!

But yeah, check yoself.

not in my house it's not..
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I guess I'll be that asshole.  This was someone's kid., I fail to see any humor in a young girl dying.

RIP kid.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:47:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

not in my house it's not..
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:01:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The video showed Strauss dropping her credit card while attempting to pay for her parking as she was leaving the garage. Strauss is seen on the video reaching down to pick up the credit card and apparently accidentally stepping on the accelerator in her vehicle.

The vehicle moved forward, causing her head to become trapped between the car and the toll booth.

Strauss was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

According to records, Strauss is a native of Florida and was a graduate student at Ohio State, studying social work.
View Quote

Victim:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269116/1_JPG-1786828.JPG
View Quote

If only she had listened to Dave Ramsey...

Do you think she knew Mercury is the closest planet to the Sun?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:13:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why is this funny??
View Quote

Because some people are assholes?

That was someone's daughter, and some of the jackasses here are hee hawing over it.

I almost ran over myself once.

Jumped out of the truck to open a gate, and I forgot to put it in park, I turned around right before my own truck hit me in slow motion.

Even smart people can get careless, forgetful... or do stupid stuff, especially when in a hurry.

My truck could have killed me easily.

I was a 2 seconds from getting hit/run over/pinned/dragged (gods knows what could have happened).

I was able to jump out of the way and put the truck in park.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:58:58 AM EDT
[#46]
What a bunch of miserable people.

It would make great PPV to watch her dad kick some of your asses.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:04:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeah. I feel really bad for her family
View Quote
Yeah, I couldn't imagine having to live with that as a parent.

This happens more often than people think, many times at a fast-food drive-up when people try to get their dropped card, easing their foot off the brake with their body hanging out.

Freaking sad, someone's daughter finishing college.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:07:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Personally, I wouldn't ever open my door or try to exit (partially or completely) my vehicle without putting it in park first.
View Quote

That's just crazy talk.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:33:16 AM EDT
[#49]
When I went to NYC with my family a while back, the parking attendant in the lot across from our hotel killed himself like that trying to back a car onto a lift.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That's sad. I'd put that more in the freak accident category than a Darwin award winner.
View Quote

From the title I expected someone who died trying to avoid paying.
From the story, it's just someone that was careless with their automobile.
On, the other hand, now I know it's prudence and not paranoia, when I shift into park in such situations.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top