Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 8/30/2018 4:01:17 AM EDT
Greetings,

I'm looking to get a decent 6' DSMB, and a spool. I'll be diving mostly in Florida with a few dives in Lake Michigan. All dives will be within recreational depths.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can find this OMS spool in black, get it. I have it in pink.

The center acts like a brake. Squeeze on it to slow spool down. I have a pink 6ft OMS SMB

OMS black spool from DGX

DGX has it as a kit with the 6ft SMB in stock (what I have, just not pink).

Link
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Halcyon DAM. Best SMB's around. They're more expensive than other SMB's, but well worth the cost, especially since you'll be diving in cold water.

Any delrin spool will work for you. You don't want to get a metal spool for shooting an SMB.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Flurda boy here..
Use this one.  Prefer open bottom to deploy using octo.  Had it for over 3yrs and is holding up well.   This gets deployed for all my local drift diving at depth.
I use a cheapo delrin spool.   I have a ratchet reel that I will be using on next outing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Any thoughts whether orange or yellow is better for visibility? Also, has anyone used the SMB from DAN?

Thanks for your recommendations.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Halcyon DAM. Best SMB's around. They're more expensive than other SMB's, but well worth the cost, especially since you'll be diving in cold water.

Any delrin spool will work for you. You don't want to get a metal spool for shooting an SMB.
View Quote
That's what I use in the 4.5 foot length. It's a great SMB.

Don't get wrapped up in paying fancy high prices for a spool. Make sure the opening is big enough for your fingers if you're wearing gloves.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any thoughts whether orange or yellow is better for visibility?
View Quote
This is subjective and the color of the water and ambient light will effect visability.
I have a yellow one.  When in a boat and looking at the string of smb's scattered on the surface, the yellow ones really pop.....to me
Where in FL do you dive?
I am in the Jupiter area.  You mentioned a 6' smb.  Stick with that length.  4' will disappear in swells. Subtract a foot off the length when you are hanging on it...that's 3' above water line....that is assuming you get it full of air
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Any thoughts whether orange or yellow is better for visibility? Also, has anyone used the SMB from DAN?

Thanks for your recommendations.
View Quote
The one I have is orange on one side and yellow on the other.  I prefer the orange if going all one color.

I prefer the type that are not open on the bottom, but use a valve to inflate.

I have a simple delrin spool with yellow line. 100 feet.

I use a double D clip to attach it to my BC.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top