Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2022 10:25:35 AM EDT
Hi gang.

I am trying to get some video of a reticle through a scope.  With my phone and a cheap action cam, the reticle and the scene behind it are both in perfect focus, just as though I were looking through the scope with my eye.  However, with a Canon D60, using various prime and zoom lenses, I cannot achieve focus on both at the same time; I can either have the reticle in focus, or the scene behind it in focus, but not both.

Obviously I am a total novice here.

Looking for some advice.  Is there a way to get a DSLR to have both focal planes in focus at the same time?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to manual or aperture priority and stop way down?  Give that a shot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That helped a bit, thanks.  I think I am running into parallax issues with the optics I'm messing with.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That helped a bit, thanks.  I think I am running into parallax issues with the optics I'm messing with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You may need a macro lens or other lens that has the minimum focus distance you need while providing an aperture on the order of f/32. You may also want to consider an adapter specifically for this purpose (example).
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#4]
tucansam: The problem you have is called "depth of field(DOF)." ie thickness when you focus on a subject and what is in-focus and out-of-focus. Some photogs want this effect and it is called "bokeh."

The DOF varies with distance, focal lenght of your lens, AND aperture.  

As you get closer to the subject this thickness gets shallower, and conversely when you get further away it gets thicker. Also it varies by aperture, the larger the aperture, the shallower the DOF, and of course the smaller the aperture the thicker. As you get a shorter focal length the DOF gets thicker and conversely a longer focal length lens get a shallower DOF.

Here is where a bit of experience is needed, you need to set the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO to minimize motion blur(unless you intend it), in-focus image, and the for  sensor noise. All of this influences the quality of your photo.

From the description of your OP,  your phone & scope and your camera are not exactly the same; I think your phone & scope has a thicker DOF.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Try using your widest lens. Your phone is using a very wide-angle lens, which produces a large depth of focus (it is dependent on focal length, and wide angles have much greater DOF than a long telephoto lens). I am not sure about Canon, but Nikon has a 40mm macro lens for their APS sensor cameras that could be used for this type of photo - yes you will just get the center circle of the frame having picture on a full-frame camera but that's all you need to see the reticle in a scope anyway. You may not need to use a macro lens as most wide-angle lens have a short minimum focus distance.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Depth of field.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top