Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2021 9:02:44 PM EDT
I live where the only interwebs connection is unfortunately AT&T DSL.
Been having even more issues lately with sketchy service. Wondering if I should try a new modem/router hookup thingamajig.
Hoping some of you more tech adept folks could help with a recommendation.

This is what I have now;

Will there be any benefit to replacing this?
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:22:55 PM EDT
Depends on why you think it sketchy.
Combo boxes are not strong wireless routers. If your wireless is not performing, you can buy a dedicated wireless router and put the Death Star box in bridge mode. You can also play with location of the Death Star box. Move as central as you can and get it up. Line of sight is best. Minimize obstructions. Plaster/outside walls are the worst. Anything with metal is just as bad (furniture, appliances, lamps, etc).
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:29:27 PM EDT
I guess I should be more descriptive than sketchy.
Service drops a lot lately and downloading anything takes forever.

Since AT&T provided this one, I figure it’s probably not the best and it does have some age on it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:18:26 PM EDT
Run Speedtest and compare to what you are paying to get.
Run both wired to their box and wireless.
Wired should be close to stated rates.
Wireless will be less.
The wireless will vary with distance and obstructions.
This is one way to tweak the location of the Death Star box - compare Speedtests.

If you want to dig into it, head to SNBForums. I'm just scratching the surface here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:11:17 AM EDT
Get anohter router.  I have no idea what the hot-shit routers are now in teh all-in-one configuration.  Asus? Netgear maybe?  WRT54G was the router/ap to have the last time I looked into that stuff.
At my old place, the DSL router I had was shit... memory leaks and slow LAN throughput, requiring bi-monthly hard resets to recover.  

Put that modem into bridge mode... which will turn it into a modem and nothing more.  Converts DSL to ethernet.  No auth, no dhcp, no wifi, nothing but a media converter.
Configure your other router to do PPPoE (probably) or DHCP (less likely) on that ether port connected to the modem.  Plug your ISP username/password into that, and let the better router do the auth and IP/routing.  

I used a Ubiquiti USG3P into a Netgear managed/smart switch.  Once I did that, I never had to restart the modem because it "just stopped working" again.
A Mikrotik hAPac2 might be worth looking into.  Not as user friendly, but far more capable than anything you'll find at best-buy or similar.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:49:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 7:09:38 PM EDT
It's DSL. Anything you do will be like trying to fix a 3 legged horse.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:07:12 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By averwo:
It's DSL. Anything you do will be like trying to fix a 3 legged horse.
View Quote

Be careful lumping all of DSL together like that.

This is bonded VDSL2 on a 400 meter run to the DSLAM:

Attachment Attached File

Certainly not fiber, but not certainly not a three-legged horse, either.

In any event, OP, do you have a stable connection when plugging a computer directly into that box via Ethernet?
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:27:14 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wswartzendruber:

Be careful lumping all of DSL together like that.

This is bonded VDSL2 on a 400 meter run to the DSLAM:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/318440/Speed_Test__2021-04-02__png-1889800.JPG

Certainly not fiber, but not certainly not a three-legged horse, either.

In any event, OP, do you have a stable connection when plugging a computer directly into that box via Ethernet?
View Quote

Yeah I know about VDSL. Been in the business for 20 years. It's not what the OP has.
Top Top