Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2023 2:08:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox]
Digital Photography Review, or DPReview, which was founded in 1998 and acquired by Amazon on May 14, 2007 had built up a sterling reputation for providing photographers with some of the most detailed reviews of cameras, lenses, and related equipment in the world. DPReview was originally based in London, but eventually moved its operations to Seattle to be closer to its parent company and where it continued to operate relatively independently.

DPReview, easily one of the most beloved publications among photography enthusiasts, will shut down and its content will be deleted. The website was caught up in the recent layoffs that hit Amazon and it will cease operations on April 10.

https://petapixel.com/2023/03/21/dpreview-is-shutting-down/
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Well damn, that sucks
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Archive the whole site!
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#3]
That sucks.  Bozos probably doesn't want honest reviews saying the cheap Chicom knockoffs are not as good as a real-deal camera.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]
That is a fuck ton of knowledge wiped out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Deleted? Wtf?
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, the deletion sucks.  A lot of info in one spot.  Wayback might capture most, but it can be slow to get info at times.

Would be nice if one of the major brands would buy the site from Amazon and at least archive the news, articles, reviews, and camera and lens databases.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I would love someone to pick this back up. It is crazy that they’re shutting down.

I’ve been going there for almost as long as they were on the web. What a shame. Such a wealth of knowledge.

B&H, I’m looking at you…
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Amazon ruins everything it acquires.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck that's a great site.

Guess I'll have to go back to Steve's Digicam.

Fuck that's gone too!
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:27:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendel-OK] [#10]
Boycott Amazon. Don’t buy any photo or video gear from them

What a bunch of ass fuckers.

ETA: let’s include audio gear also.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:50:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I just saw the announcement. I try to avoid buying anything from Amazon, nothing good comes out of it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 10:26:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grunteled] [#12]
Leftists destroy everything good.

I've been going there since the day I bought my first SLR.  This sucks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I have seen this before, it was a matter of time, when the advertisments don't make enough money, the .ORG gets deleted. The owners got their money.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Just saw that they are going to be kept online as a reference. So…neat I guess, but no new reviews or awards.

Phil Askey we need you back!
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kraquine:
Fuck that's a great site.

Guess I'll have to go back to Steve's Digicam.

Fuck that's gone too!
View Quote

Steve died in 2017
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Camera phones destroyed the digital camera industry for all but the serious photographer and videographer
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Absolutely agree!

Frankly the problem is people don't know what they don't know, they're lazy and on top of that the majority are just idiots.  Let me explain, if someone has never seen great photographs and doesn't know anything about the shallow depth of field or proper lighting or what defines a good photograph,... basically most photographs are good/great for majority of people.  In addition the majority never learned to be discriminating, so when iphone 14 came out with their new camera, it basically destroyed the DSLR world, just like how DSLR's replaced film cameras.  To this day my 6x7 medium format film cameras take better photographs than my 50 meg pixel full frame Nikon D850, but the convenience, the good enough factor and marketing even converted a purist like me.  

I very much suspect amazon doesn't see the squeeze - measured in many different ways, foot traffic to the website, purchase referrals to amazon, perhaps even the AI training data collected,  ... - is worth the juice due to unpopularity of the real cameras and are cutting bait!

Bottom line, I'm biased but,  the root cause of every evil in this country is poor K-12 education that doesn't teach discrimination for quality and teaches mediocrity at best!
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#18]
https://petapixel.com/2023/06/20/dpreview-saved-gear-patrol-acquires-the-publication-from-amazon/

Nearly three months after DPReview announced its imminent shutdown, and more than two months after DPReview was initially slated to shut down and go offline, the beloved publication has found a new lease on life.

DPReview is now owned and operated by Gear Patrol, a publication and content studio that focuses its coverage on broader consumer products, but now has the tools to focus heavily on the camera space as the current "core" editorial, tech, and business team are being retained.

Link Posted: 6/20/2023 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
https://petapixel.com/2023/06/20/dpreview-saved-gear-patrol-acquires-the-publication-from-amazon/

Nearly three months after DPReview announced its imminent shutdown, and more than two months after DPReview was initially slated to shut down and go offline, the beloved publication has found a new lease on life.

DPReview is now owned and operated by Gear Patrol, a publication and content studio that focuses its coverage on broader consumer products, but now has the tools to focus heavily on the camera space as the current "core" editorial, tech, and business team are being retained.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Yes! I’ve been a fan since the 90s. Stoked to see they’ll still be around!
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

AWESOME news!
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top