User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2020 12:43:17 AM EDT
Free audio book
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 1:16:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the post.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 1:25:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Bet it's an interesting book, but can't listen to that voice for 6 hours. I'll look for the real book.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 1:43:34 AM EDT
[#3]
There are two of these that I am aware of. Same author with additional stories after the first book was well received. I read these on my way to Europe prior to my visit to Northern France.  Excellent books and great place to visit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are two of these that I am aware of. Same author with additional stories after the first book was well received. I read these on my way to Europe prior to my visit to Northern France.  Excellent books and great place to visit.
View Quote
Indeed.  I saw it the other day but haven't listened to it.  Good for when you're driving and can't read.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Listening to book 2.  First chapter includes the Russians born German soldiers.  Per the speaker, Russian Commissars landed in the later waves to help separate Russian collaborators and to have them shipped to Murmansk for execution.

Can anyone confirm this?
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#6]
@2:50 of book 2 you hear about a Liberator pistol having been used to kill a captain of the 21st Panzer.  The feldgendarme called it a Browning (but Browning is synonymous for pistole in Europe).
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#7]
My great-uncle served with an engineer division that landed on Omaha Beach. He had no love for Nazis, and killed his share, but he was known to say "It had to be a damn lonely feeling, looking out into that sea and watching that steel wall steaming closer and closer, and knowing that THIS is the beginning of the end. You have to feel for a man who knows he's about to lose the war, and just wants to get home to the family before the enemy starts getting some payback."
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bet it's an interesting book, but can't listen to that voice for 6 hours. I'll look for the real book.
View Quote
They're both fascinating books and were the first I'd read from the German point of view. I got them on a Fire tablet from Amazon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top