Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2020 9:31:48 PM EDT
I have a couple of gates from a long-gone cotton wagon from which I want to salvage some expanded metal.    I have reciprocating saws, circular saws, plasma cutter, angle grinders.    Of these, I'm guessing the circular saw with the right blade will be the least painful way to cut out the expanded metal panels without having to haul the gates back to my shop.

Anyone have a recommendation on the correct blade for the job?

Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Abrasive wheel will make quick straight cuts fast
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Abrasive wheel will make quick straight cuts fast
View Quote

+1

I had a similar project and picked up some cheap cut off blades from harbor freight to use on my angle grinder. Make sure you get the right size to fit the shaft on your tool.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes. Angle grinder all the things.

I'll add to make sure you match the rpms on your wheels to the rpms on the grinder. Especially with cheap HF wheels - if your grinder is too fast the wheels can come apart. I've never seen it, but it sounds exciting in a way I'd rather not experience.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a CNC plasma table... I still used the thin cut-off wheels on my 4.5" grinder to make expanded metalhanging racks for my powder booth rack.   Quick, fast cuts.  Get the thin wheels, though, and cut perpendicular through the expanded metal.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:04:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a CNC plasma table... I still used the thin cut-off wheels on my 4.5" grinder to make expanded metalhanging racks for my powder booth rack.   Quick, fast cuts.  Get the thin wheels, though, and cut perpendicular through the expanded metal.
View Quote

I thought a plasma cutter would be much faster.  I was wrong.

These are the best cut off wheels I have used.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Angle grinder with a cut off wheel.  It should go without saying, but avoid pressure to the side of the blade (like the pressure you would put on a normal grinder wheel).
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I thought a plasma cutter would be much faster.  I was wrong.

These are the best cut off wheels I have used.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/213346/17E59428-EC8C-4CF5-9CAB-F61ABD53528E_jpe-1342993.JPG
View Quote

I'm sold on the Norzon products, Norton makes good stuff.  A cut-off wheel will make short work of expanded metal, just keep the RPM's up and let the wheel do its job.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I would likely grab the angle grinder but I also have a metal cutting circular saw blade from diablo that is good too.  Depended on the thickness of the expanded metal bars if I would bother with the circ saw.   With a straight edge I can cut a neater line with the circ saw.  I am a bit clumsy with the cut off blade on an angle grinder.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would likely grab the angle grinder but I also have a metal cutting circular saw blade from diablo that is good too.  Depended on the thickness of the expanded metal bars if I would bother with the circ saw.   With a straight edge I can cut a neater line with the circ saw.  I am a bit clumsy with the cut off blade on an angle grinder.
View Quote
unless it's a really fine tooth blade, you'll rip teef out right and left. expensive cuts
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Make a cradle or saw guide for the grinder. There are several on YouTube. Long straight cuts with no broken discs are easy.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Make a cradle or saw guide for the grinder. There are several on YouTube. Long straight cuts with no broken discs are easy.
View Quote

I screwed the metal to a 2x4 using cabinet screws and ran the blade along the 2x4. Cut off discs won’t chew into the wood and prefer to graze along it. Don’t put a ton of pressure on it of course, but I just did a fairly large project doing this and it was cake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top