Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2021 10:17:26 PM EDT
I’ve had a 60lb dog for about 3 years. Never really had any issues with nail trimming. I wouldn’t say he enjoyed it but he wasn’t difficult.

Last time I cut them,  I got too close and he bled. Not terrible and I got it clotted up quickly. I gave him a treat and he was playing around in no time.

However - Ever since then there is NO WAY to cut this guys nails. He doesn’t bite or get aggressive but he will jump and spin and yank every which way to get away. I’ve tried having 3 people (including me) hold him down and he still wiggles too much to do it. I’ve tried sedatives (Benadryl 1mg per pound of body weight). I’ve tried choke collars. Nothing works. His nails are getting so long that they touch the ground so it needs to get done but this dog is not a fan.

Any tips?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Throw a tennis ball for him to retrieve on the rough concrete.

Only throw it about 10 times a day so the nail don't become too short too fast and bleed.

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Find a treat he loves that takes a while to eat, such as peanut butter smeared on a plate.  Trim quickly while he eats.

I have also used a Dremel tool with a sandpaper wheel on dog nails as an alternative to nail cutters.

The best cutters I have are Boshel nail chippers, because they prevent cutting to much, which allows me to work quickly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine don't care, but I never cut to much off at once.  Running around our porch deck pretty much takes care of it anyway.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve had 2 like that. Vet can do no problem but both wouldn’t let me. I started putting them up on the workbench in the shop or on the tailgate of my truck. Different setting sort of like at the vets office helped. Also just do it by yourself in a calm way. No kids or helpers around and take your time and stop and calm him down if he starts to fuss.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen it done with a dremel and sanding drum
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Treats and time, get him on a bench, hold all 4 paws one at a time, one tiny nibble only after he let you hold each paw and done for the day. No clipping
Next day up on the bench, samething.
After he is comfortable with just paws then one nail clip,one tiny nibble done for the day.
Next day up on the bench repeat repeat........
After awhile you should be able to get a few nails done for one nibble.
Consistency
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Only throw it about 10 times a day so the nail don't become too short too fast and bleed.

View Quote
Or have it chase anything on a rough surface. I use a laser pointer. Less than five minutes on driveway and it's done. Regular walks on concrete or asphalt with also keep them short.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I typically do several sets of dog nails a day (while managing a doggie daycare), as well for my own herd.

I prefer to clip (using a plain old Miller's Forge clipper) the nail to start, and then use the dremel with a sanding drum to finish, rounding off the cut end. Don't leave the dremel on the nail too long, as it'll get hot. I do a bunch of small passes, like I'm peeling a potato.

Once you get to the stopping point, you'll see the area you are clipping or dremeling start to change from chalky to a smooth finish.

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#9]
My GSMD simply decided one day that she didn’t like her nails cut any longer.

At the vet it takes three techs to hold her down and cut her nails. They have to lay on top of her with two techs while the third cuts.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:02:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Our 5 month old French Bulldog is a pain in the ass!  The last time I did it over the course of three days.. I have to wait until he is tired as hell and out cold.  Then I have to gently rub his feet and spread his toes enough to get a quick clip in.  He may or may not wake up and then I do the next after he is back asleep.  It is nuts and frustrating.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the answer you seek. I’ve been doing it this way for years.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#12]
We let the groomer do it
We pay the guy to give Dorky Dog a shamooo and nails are included.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#13]
The vet does it.

He's a big ol' lumbering sweetheart of an animal, but he is NOT on board with nail trims.

All animals have their quirks. I don't fault him for it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine tolerate it.  The dremel seems to be the least terrifying for them.

Luckily the weims have translucent nails and you can get a good idea of how much you can cut off.  My lab / pointer cross has black nails that split easily.  Hes a pita to trim.  I get blood almost every time with him.

Rosie, my young female weim isn't crazy about the process however I do it.  Usually I can do her front or her back, then shes done with it. I have to wait a day or 2 and ambush her to get the other end done.

I've heard peanut butter smeared on the shower wall works good.  I wouldn't know, the weims go berzerk if they think you're putting them in the shower.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I use a small pocket sized LED flashlight and shine it through my dogs nails. It will somewhat illuminate the nail so you can see where the nail root runs into the nail so you don’t ever cut to short.
This method is hard to do on dogs with black nails though
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:24:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Team, concrete fetch.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s how I always do it. Much easier.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bingo!

Its the only way I can trim a couple of my dogs' nails.... I like my blood in my body.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#19]
3 of my dogs, while not a fan of it,  will let me or my wife cut them. Sometimes we have to hold them down on their backs but usually we can grt them when they r laying on the couch.  My 4th dog, he's always bit his own nails.   Never seen a dog do this, but he will randomly chew his nail.  If anything I may have to take a quick finger nail file to them, but usually they r good.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top