Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2020 11:00:16 PM EDT
So long story short, I have rusty interior rockers on the underside with holes and all. Has to pass PA inspection. Someone told me about rockers you can actually cut away and put on the underside.

They said it while I was leaving the shop. Anyone know what this?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 1:06:17 AM EDT
[#1]
They make slip on rockers. They dont fit for shit but if you are just trying to pass inspection they would work.

slip on rockers

Bushwacker makes plastic covers that are held on with 2 sided tape if your are not too far gone.

bushwackers
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Goostoff:
They make slip on rockers. They dont fit for shit but if you are just trying to pass inspection they would work.

slip on rockers

Bushwacker makes plastic covers that are held on with 2 sided tape if your are not too far gone.

bushwackers
View Quote

sweetness. Do they go UNDER the truck because that's where the rot is.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread is relevant to my interests for cosmetic reasons.

What's the safety/inspection issue with rusted out rockers?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Dsparil:

sweetness. Do they go UNDER the truck because that's where the rot is.
View Quote

Do you have any pics of the rot?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm doing a full weld in set of rockers on my Silverado right now. The slip on one's that I've seen go over the outer rocker not the inner.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 2:51:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MOLONxLABE:

Do you have any pics of the rot?
View Quote

Unfortunately I don't.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:35:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Your state inspects for rust?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ark-and-spark:
Your state inspects for rust?
View Quote

Yeah guidance issued from the state includes the following

RUST
If substantial rust is observed externally on a vehicle during a safety inspection, it should serve as an indicator for the inspector to look more closely at other areas of the vehicle (frame, flooring, etc.) as these areas may be compromised. The following would be cause for rejection under the passenger car and light truck inspection procedure: rust that permits exhaust gases to enter the passenger or cargo compartment; protruding metal, loose or dislocated parts protruding from the surface so as to create a hazard; bumpers that are rusted so they are not firmly attached or have broken or torn portions protruding so as to create a hazard; and frames that are not in solid condition. Inspectors should follow the specific inspection procedure for the type of vehicle being inspected to determine pass/fail conditions.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:37:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sweetness. Do they go UNDER the truck because that's where the rot is.

Do a web search for Chevy trucks  .
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm doing a full weld in set of rockers on my Silverado right now. The slip on one's that I've seen go over the outer rocker not the inner.
View Quote

How big a job is that?

Are you able to get to the back side of them to paint them after welding, so they don't rust out again real quick?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By gman350:

Do a web search for Chevy trucks  .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gman350:
Originally Posted By MOLONxLABE:
Originally Posted By Dsparil:

sweetness. Do they go UNDER the truck because that's where the rot is.

Do you have any pics of the rot?

Do a web search for Chevy trucks  .

lol      but yeah, road salt sucks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't know how y'all put up with that shit up north.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#13]
LMC trucks might have what you need. I know they sell replacement panels and body components to weld in.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL will this shit works? I just need the bitch to pass inspection LMAO.

https://www.amazon.com/ICI-UCUT-RKP6-Chrome-Universal-Rocker/dp/B005C99EFQ

I'll just sand em and spraypaint em.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I have nothing constructive to add to the thread, but to say that PA vehicle laws really suck.  

I’m planning to move over the border from NY in not too long for obvious reasons (only 10 minutes away from the border as it is).

Somehow PA seems to out commie NY by a mile with car laws. Fender flare and tire poke laws, can’t take my Jeep doors off, rust makes you fail inspection. I thought it was a free state

Seems like every pa truck i see in town has pieces of metal pop riveted over the rust holes like that somehow makes it more structurally sound
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got an '05 Explorer with rusty rockers and looked at the slip-over covers.
I decided to replace the rockers because I'd rather remove the rust than hide it.
I bought replacement rockers off of Ebay and will weld those in.
Only the portion by the rear doors is rusted, so I'm debating whether to weld in just that portion, or the entire rocker.
If you only want to hide the rust, those slip-ons are a huge time saver.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:19:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have nothing constructive to add to the thread, but to say that PA vehicle laws really suck.  

I’m planning to move over the border from NY in not too long for obvious reasons (only 10 minutes away from the border as it is).

Somehow PA seems to out commie NY by a mile with car laws. Fender flare and tire poke laws, can’t take my Jeep doors off, rust makes you fail inspection. I thought it was a free state

Seems like every pa truck i see in town has pieces of metal pop riveted over the rust holes like that somehow makes it more structurally sound
View Quote

LOL I moved here from Texas five years ago and am starting to look elsewhere. West Virginia or wherever. Tom Wolf is working VERY hard at making sure this state turns HARD blue this year. Local and state. Not just state.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've got an '05 Explorer with rusty rockers and looked at the slip-over covers.
I decided to replace the rockers because I'd rather remove the rust than hide it.
I bought replacement rockers off of Ebay and will weld those in.
Only the portion by the rear doors is rusted, so I'm debating whether to weld in just that portion, or the entire rocker.
If you only want to hide the rust, those slip-ons are a huge time saver.
View Quote

Well this is for rust on the interior rockers only able to be seen UNDER the vehicle. There's holes and what not in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top