Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/17/2019 9:20:11 PM EDT
I was hoping to hear your experiences with both, and also the advantages and disadvantages career wise (possible special training, transition to investigative positions, duty locations) for CBP Officer vs. BP Agent.

Any insight would be welcome. I already have federal LE training and a graduate degree, and I'm thinking about trying for a position in DHS.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#1]
When I applied, it was for Border Patrol Agent.

The way it was explained to me is the Agents do more of the field work. The Officers have a more regular work station at a port of entry. However from my understanding they often perform intersecting roles at various times.

Again, this is just how it was explained to me. If there are any errors hopefully someone more knowledgable can set me straight.

Also, don’t be colorblind you can’t get in no matter how well you do on everything else
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 1:07:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's some stream of consciousness for you:

Border Patrol Agent on the Southwest border is running the bush grabbing illegals and dope.  CBP Officer (Field Operations) on the SWB is sitting at a port of entry processing traffic, commercial traffic (trucks and trains) and pedestrians.

BP on the northern border is taking naps, riding four wheelers/snowmobiles, pulling over stupid Canadians and helping the locals.  CBPO is doing the same thing as the SWB, but less busy and a hell of a lot colder.

BP isn't really at airports or seaports - that's the CBPO's domain.  This could involved sitting in a small box stamping passports 16 hours a day or tearing apart containers in 100 degree temps with 100% humidity.

BP has slightly better pay at first (GL pay scale) but a CBPO has the potential to make quite a bit more.

The transition to an 1811 job is pretty much equal for both... as far as my anecdotal observations goe.

Overall, CBPO's have a much better selection at duty locations.

CBPOs have a hell of a lot easier time getting a gig overseas if that's your thing.

Which position is more rewarding?  Probably BPA your first few years... but then you get sick of the SWB and can't get out - so you switch to CBPO and hate your life while making more cash in a slightly less shitty place.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 1:20:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Just a thought, you can apply for both, and see what they offer you.  BP is always going to start on SWB, but there's a HUGE difference between, say, Sanderson and Corpus Christi.  OFO does all sorts of weird hires, sometimes it's nationwide, sometimes for a specific region, sometimes for specific POEs.  BP typically hires by sector, but it varies sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, don’t be colorblind you can’t get in no matter how well you do on everything else
View Quote
That sucks!
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Border Patrol Agent on the Southwest border is running the bush grabbing illegals and dope.  CBP Officer (Field Operations) on the SWB is sitting at a port of entry processing traffic, commercial traffic (trucks and trains) and pedestrians.

BP on the northern border is taking naps, riding four wheelers/snowmobiles, pulling over stupid Canadians and helping the locals.  CBPO is doing the same thing as the SWB, but less busy and a hell of a lot colder.

BP isn't really at airports or seaports - that's the CBPO's domain.  This could involved sitting in a small box stamping passports 16 hours a day or tearing apart containers in 100 degree temps with 100% humidity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It sounds like BP would have more action and excitement initially, but I can't say that I'm thrilled about moving to the southern border for a few years. Working at a seaport could be very interesting, but I'd imagine that I could just as easily end up being sent to an airport. The northern border might get boring...

Quoted:
BP has slightly better pay at first (GL pay scale) but a CBPO has the potential to make quite a bit more.

The transition to an 1811 job is pretty much equal for both... as far as my anecdotal observations goe.
What you say about the pay seems to be the consensus based on what I've read so far. I'll just be happy if it's enough to pay off my student loans.

I figure that somewhere down the road an 1811 position might be more interesting and intellectually stimulating, so it's nice to know it's a possibility.

Quoted:
Overall, CBPO's have a much better selection at duty locations.

CBPOs have a hell of a lot easier time getting a gig overseas if that's your thing.
That is a major factor that might push me toward the CBP Officer. I would very much like to move back overseas.

Quoted:
Which position is more rewarding?  Probably BPA your first few years... but then you get sick of the SWB and can't get out - so you switch to CBPO and hate your life while making more cash in a slightly less shitty place.

Good luck.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just a thought, you can apply for both, and see what they offer you.  BP is always going to start on SWB, but there's a HUGE difference between, say, Sanderson and Corpus Christi.  OFO does all sorts of weird hires, sometimes it's nationwide, sometimes for a specific region, sometimes for specific POEs.  BP typically hires by sector, but it varies sometimes.
View Quote
I might just end up applying for both just to see what happens. I already applied for a GS-9 position as a CBP Officer. It doesn't hurt to apply for BP at the same time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone know how long it takes before a CBPO can request an overseas assignment or a pre-clearance location?
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't answer the OP's questions but did meet a former BP guy who said he was hired for the northern border. I was surprised but he told me it is possible to go straight to work at the northern border. He did say it was pretty boring.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Okay, I get the feeling that the northern border is terribly boring.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have a graduate degree why not go ahead and apply for 1811 gig? FBI and USSS love advanced degrees from what I've seen.  A degree isn't even a requirement for USSS 1811 anymore (although unlikely to get hired without one).
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 3:12:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I can't answer the OP's questions but did meet a former BP guy who said he was hired for the northern border. I was surprised but he told me it is possible to go straight to work at the northern border. He did say it was pretty boring.
View Quote
It used to be possible to get hired to any location, but for at least the last 5 or so, all new hires start on the SWB- technically, some of the stations are not actually on the border, but except for Corpus they're all within 100 miles.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you have a graduate degree why not go ahead and apply for 1811 gig? FBI and USSS love advanced degrees from what I've seen.  A degree isn't even a requirement for USSS 1811 anymore (although unlikely to get hired without one).
View Quote
I've applied for various 1811 positions in the past with no luck. I just applied for a CGIS 1811 position yesterday morning. I'll probably give the FBI and USSS positions on USAJobs.gov a try just to see what happens.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Apply for both and see what shakes out.  I know we're doing a bunch of hiring but the problem has been the polygraph and the contractor who runs it.  I've seen a lot of ads for USSS recently so I guess they're doing a hiring push as well.  The problem we're (BP) having with retention is that the nature of the job means you have to work and live in remote areas with nothing to do off-duty.  Doesn't do well for guys with families.

The work is definitely more boring for a CBPO but you get much better duty locations, double time for OT, and other small things.  If action is your thing, then BP is the way to go.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does anyone know how long it takes before a CBPO can request an overseas assignment or a pre-clearance location?
View Quote
From what I've heard they wont look at your application for PC until your at least a 12.
I'm coming in at a 09 when I EOD in Sept and my wife and I are also both hoping for a PC spot in a couple of years.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
While your probably right, I do know two SA guys who were hired on without degrees. They did come from the .mil though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#17]
There seems to be a lot of confusion on the organization of CBP and calling agencies by the wrong name in here.  Would hate for anyone to apply for a job and go to an interview and not understand the hierarchy.

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is the overarching entity within DHS for customs and border protection and consists of three law enforcement agencies that work together to secure the US Borders.  Those three agencies are :

Office of Field Operations (OFO)  These are the officers in blue working at the Ports of Entry
US Border Patrol - These are the agents in green working between the ports of Entry
Air and Marine Operations - These agents work the boats and aircraft patrolling the borders

Another confusing and often misunderstood part of DHS is ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement)
ICE has two agencies in it:
Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) - they investigate pretty much anything that has a cross border nexus
Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) - these are the guys that round up illegals and process the removals
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There seems to be a lot of confusion on the organization of CBP and calling agencies by the wrong name in here.  Would hate for anyone to apply for a job and go to an interview and not understand the hierarchy.

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is the overarching entity within DHS for customs and border protection and consists of three law enforcement agencies that work together to secure the US Borders.  Those three agencies are :

Office of Field Operations (OFO)  These are the officers in blue working at the Ports of Entry
US Border Patrol - These are the agents in green working between the ports of Entry
Air and Marine Operations - These agents work the boats and aircraft patrolling the borders

Another confusing and often misunderstood part of DHS is ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement)
Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) - they investigate pretty much anything that has a cross border nexus
Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) - these are the guys that round up illegals and process the removals
View Quote
Just to add more confusion, USBP operates some boats too

Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Yep, you are absolutely correct...I didn't want to add additional confusion to the already confusing confusion.  USBP does have some nice boats, jet skis, atv's, etc.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've applied for various 1811 positions in the past with no luck. I just applied for a CGIS 1811 position yesterday morning. I'll probably give the FBI and USSS positions on USAJobs.gov a try just to see what happens.
View Quote
I was told by a DEA recruiter that for them to keep up with attrition over the next few years they'll need to hire and train hundreds of new 1811's within the coming years.  You'll have to go to dea.gov and apply since they have a different hiring process than the OPM listing on usajobs.gov.  It's not a hard test at all.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

While your probably right, I do know two SA guys who were hired on without degrees. They did come from the .mil though.
View Quote
That's about on par with what a SAC and ASAC told me about the few guys they've seen get hired without degrees. Came from special operations type backgrounds.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Currently poised to hit "yes" to accept the conditional offer and start navigating the interview, poly, medical, stuff.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Currently poised to hit "yes" to accept the conditional offer and start navigating the interview, poly, medical, stuff.
View Quote
Do it.  It'll take a year to navigate through the process anyway
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I thought they were trying to expedite applicants these days?
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are but it's the government, nothing moves fast.  Maybe they've knocked a lot of the time down in the last few years.  I don't usually deal with new hires where I'm at
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's my understanding that they are.  What I've read is maybe 6 months.  The test was processed quickly, though the invitation might have been generated automatically.  Really only concerned with the poly since it's got a 2/3rds rate of failure.  Although, things might a little hectic if my bosses find out since they tend to just fire people when it's found they are looking elsewhere.  But, I tell myself, why stay somewhere like that anyway.  The pay is way less then I currently make so it will be a hardship for a couple years.  Luckily, my wife can work anywhere she wants.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's my understanding that they are.  What I've read is maybe 6 months.  The test was processed quickly, though the invitation might have been generated automatically.  Really only concerned with the poly since it's got a 2/3rds rate of failure.  Although, things might a little hectic if my bosses find out since they tend to just fire people when it's found they are looking elsewhere.  But, I tell myself, why stay somewhere like that anyway.  The pay is way less then I currently make so it will be a hardship for a couple years.  Luckily, my wife can work anywhere she wants.
View Quote
What is your starting GS/GL level?
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:54:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch!
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 8:15:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was told by a DEA recruiter that for them to keep up with attrition over the next few years they'll need to hire and train hundreds of new 1811's within the coming years.  You'll have to go to dea.gov and apply since they have a different hiring process than the OPM listing on usajobs.gov.  It's not a hard test at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to look into the DEA.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This ->

Quoted:

It's not like applying for normal people jobs, at all.  Some (many) take years; there are web forums dedicated to this. Each member has a sigline with all the various tests and steps they are on for the multiple agencies they shotgun applied for.

Some agencies only accept aps during certain windows. USSS and I think like USMS used to be hyperpicky.

When I applied for TSA, it took almost a year to hear anything back. I had totally forgot that I had applied. (shrugs)

Meantime, what are you doing to improve your odds? How are you formatting your job-specific resumes? Do they parallel the KSA's?
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:18:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
If we're being technical, ICE does not have two "agencies" in it. ICE "is" the agency that is one of many agencies under DHS. ICE has two "branches," one is known as ERO - which has the Immigration Enforcement Agents and Deportation Officers and HSI, which is the investigative branch of ICE. Years ago HQ ICE Investigations tried to establish themselves as a separate agency from ERO and came up with the "agency" "sounding name" of HSI with their own badge and credentials which do not the list actual agency on them, namely ICE. They are still a branch of the agency known as ICE, they just don't have it on the credentials or badge. I know because I have both, the original ICE badge and credentials and the newer HSI badges and credentials.

It would be like a major metropolitan police department's Homicide Division (let's say Los Angeles PD) came up with their own badge and credentials showing only "Homicide Division Police Department" and badge number on the badge and credentials and no indication that the officer works for LAPD because LAPD is no longer on their badge and credentials.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Well, I was rejected for the CBP Officer GS-9 position (my graduate degree isn't in a law enforcement specific field). I'll have to see what happens with the CBP Officer GS-7 grade and the Border Patrol Agent GL-7 grade. I don't really want to work on the border, but my student loans aren't going to just disappear!

Time will tell with the CGIS and USSS 1811 positions. I still need to finish applications for DEA and FBI 1811 positions. The last 1811 announcement that I applied for was with ICE back in 2016.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If we're being technical, ICE does not have two "agencies" in it. ICE "is" the agency that is one of many agencies under DHS. ICE has two "branches," one is known as ERO - which has the Immigration Enforcement Agents and Deportation Officers and HSI, which is the investigative branch of ICE. Years ago HQ ICE Investigations tried to establish themselves as a separate agency from ERO and came up with the "agency" "sounding name" of HSI with their own badge and credentials which do not the list actual agency on them, namely ICE. They are still a branch of the agency known as ICE, they just don't have it on the credentials or badge. I know because I have both, the original ICE badge and credentials and the newer HSI badges and credentials.

It would be like a major metropolitan police department's Homicide Division (let's say Los Angeles PD) came up with their own badge and credentials showing only "Homicide Division Police Department" and badge number on the badge and credentials and no indication that the officer works for LAPD because LAPD is no longer on their badge and credentials.
View Quote
Very interesting. It sounds as if it's an attempt to adopt a more generic designation in order to highlight their broader mission as an investigative agency under DHS.

Regardless, I'd love to get a position with ICE/HSI.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was with ICE there was talk of making all of the IEAs into DOs, did that ever happen?  This was 2014 timeframe
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Does anyone know if ICE/HSI is going to be hiring again this year? I think the last announcement was in March or April.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Is entering duty on provisional clear status advised?  I don't believe there are any dis-qualifiers in my back ground, but would be disappointed to get the boot at a later date.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone take the entrance exam? I have it coming up in 2 weeks, and am wondering how difficult it is lol
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

When I was with ICE there was talk of making all of the IEAs into DOs, did that ever happen?  This was 2014 timeframe
View Quote
IEA is gone and they are all DOs now.

2014:
1.) Promote them all and have the contractors do even more of the work originally done by IEAs
now:
2.) Start worrying about all the liability of have non-sworn doing so much LE work...
Soon:
3.) Reinvent the IEA position with actual agency employees again
Later:
4.) The new IEA workers will complain they are not paid as -12s
2024 or so:
5.)Return to step 1
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
All Border Patrol Agents start on the SWB.  About 8 or 9 years ago they did a batch of direct hires to the northern border at a few different sectors.  It was a mistake and won't likely happen again.  If you put in for green you will go to the south west border.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Anyone take the entrance exam? I have it coming up in 2 weeks, and am wondering how difficult it is lol
View Quote
Here are some study guides: https://www.cbp.gov/careers/car/study-guides

It looks like just basic Logical Reasoning, Arithmetic Reasoning, and Writing Skills.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Very interesting. It sounds as if it's an attempt to adopt a more generic designation in order to highlight their broader mission as an investigative agency under DHS.

Regardless, I'd love to get a position with ICE/HSI.
View Quote
I think that's exactly what they (HSI) are trying to do.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-ice-difficulties-20190319-story.html

"It’s a stroke of public relations that officials hope smooths a reputation that last June prompted 19 heads of HSI offices around the country to send a letter to Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, requesting that the division break apart from ICE."

https://www.texasobserver.org/ice-hsi-letter-kirstjen-nielsen-criminal-civil-deportation-zero-tolerance/

"A majority of ICE’s top criminal investigation agents are asking Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen to spin their division off from the agency.

In a letter sent last week, 19 special agents in charge at ICE’s Homeland Security Investigations unit said that ICE’s controversial detention and deportation policies have made it hard for them to conduct investigations into threats to national security, organized crime, narcotics smuggling and human trafficking. "
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The recruiter emailed me an answer as to how long it might take to process someone. She said it could be as much as 8-9 months, mostly because of the medical and polygraph.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
^^^Wow that's surprising.  I wonder how recent a change that was.

@Michael.  I'm not sure what your area of interest may or what particular Federal LE training you have - but if you really don't care what agency you work for, don't neglect other Federal LEO jobs like DOD OIG, AFOSI, DSS, Army CID, NCIS, Forestry Service LE&I, etc.  Almost every major U.S. department/agency has their own version of an OIG unit that will look into crimes involving that particular agency.  You could even go ATF, but I think you're required to resign your AR15.com membership if so, I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't suppose that I can use the CBPO entrance exam for BPA?
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@Michael.  I'm not sure what your area of interest may or what particular Federal LE training you have - but if you really don't care what agency you work for, don't neglect other Federal LEO jobs like DOD OIG, AFOSI, DSS, Army CID, NCIS, Forestry Service LE&I, etc.  Almost every major U.S. department/agency has their own version of an OIG unit that will look into crimes involving that particular agency.  You could even go ATF, but I think you're required to resign your AR15.com membership if so, I could be wrong.
View Quote
I am aware of how many agencies exist for LE in the federal government. I just started to get back into applying for positions because some recent life events required me to alter my plans for the next few years (lack of funding for my doctorate), so my focus has shifted as of late to finding steady employment. I have been keeping a lookout for Diplomatic Security Service 1811 positions and I had noticed that entry-level enlistment options were now available for Army 31D and 35L (I've never looked into the civilian positions). I've also never really given much thought to AFOSI or NCIS, but it is worth researching. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#47]
DSS just had an announcement last Fall...  they're finally getting to the interviews now. I wouldn't expect to see another announcement for at least a year.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if ICE/HSI is going to be hiring again this year? I think the last announcement was in March or April.
View Quote
They typically only put out an announcement once a year and it's a bit of a shit show.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Different entrance exam, SI, and PT.  Everything else will transfer over.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I've got two 4.5 hour exams to look forward to?

Quoted:
They typically only put out an announcement once a year and it's a bit of a shit show.
Why is it a shit show? I think the last one that I saw lasted for only a few days, so is that what you mean?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top