Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2021 7:39:41 PM EDT
What are your thoughts?  I am being told by some that this will not be like after Sandy (when 5.56 was pushing $2 a round), because production has increase a lot since then.  However, I don't see why production capitol investment by ammo manufacturers would have been wise after Sandy.  They had to have known the market would drop back down to 'normal' again (which it did).  I don't know?  Do you see ammo going up more and more in coming months?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s only going to get worse from here.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I was worried about.  I need to grab a some of the more obscure calibers I shoot when they pop up.  This is annoying.  But, supply and demand!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#4]
We don’t need another thread on this topic until the last box of common calibers is sold.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Its all about calculations and numbers. If they see this going on for a few years, they may absorb another manu or two.

If they see this lasting another month, they’ll tell us to get bent and maybe add another shift for a bit.

If they see this as the new norm, they will build whole loading warehouses.

It is always too up and down to commit any capitol to one or the other especially when the wind changes directions every 4 yrs.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#6]
This time you had one of the largest ammunition manufacturers in the country, Remington, go bankrupt and that disrupted Supply. & you had covid-19 so  companies were unable to get toxic chemical type of components from China for quite a while. (Lead, mercury, etc) and some had to shut down here do to covid-19.  And gun sales are through the roof, many to 1st time buyers who need ammo for their new guns.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Sandy Hook ... you bought it because you thought it would be outlawed.

Today ... you buy it because you may have to use it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We don’t need another thread on this topic until the last box of common calibers is sold.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm buying 9mm 115  grn fmj for $.26 pr and .223 55 grn fmj for $.39 pr. Delivered ... Do your homework.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm buying 9mm 115  grn fmj for $.26 pr and .223 55 grn fmj for $.39 pr. Delivered ... Do your homework.
View Quote
do share
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's not
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What are your thoughts?  I am being told by some that this will not be like after Sandy (when 5.56 was pushing $2 a round), because production has increase a lot since then.  However, I don't see why production capitol investment by ammo manufacturers would have been wise after Sandy.  They had to have known the market would drop back down to 'normal' again (which it did).  I don't know?  Do you see ammo going up more and more in coming months?
View Quote

The libs have nothing to stop them now. And they are beyond motivated.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
do share
View Quote

He is full of shit
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure you are.  The thousands of people running bots and searching every nook and cranny of the internet must have just missed that ammo that you are buying.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's what I was worried about.  I need to grab a some of the more obscure calibers I shoot when they pop up.  This is annoying.  But, supply and demand!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck. The less common calibers are only produced by major manufacturers occasionally. I don’t expect they making now or in the foreseeable future. What’s already out there is all there is.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He's not
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's not

He probably paid those prices. Stores like Optics Planet list those prices and sell tons of ammo but never ship it. They just keep pushing backorders back further and further. Then a year later they cancel them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously getting ripped off! Don't you know that CTD has 9mm @ .08 and 5.56 @ .22? Plus the 7.62 battle packs for $99 shipped...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I could use some .50AE......If anyone got a line.....
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Components are currently running around that. Why not just say you are reloading?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Really OP? You couldn't determine everyone's thoughts from the myriad other ammo shortage threads?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good call.  Unfortunately it's going to be years (if ever) before you see some of the more obscure cartridges on shelves again.  After the Sandy Hook scare a lot of factory loadings never came back into production.

ETA- I expect things will look much different even if the demand drops to 2018 levels in a few years.  I wouldn't be surprised to find that 10mm is cheaper and easier to find than 40 S&W for example.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP was probably referring to Sportsmans Guide's backorder. Here's a hint, they will never deliver. I was with them for over a decade, and cancelled many years ago, because of that bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sandy Hook ... you bought it because you thought it would be outlawed.

Today ... you buy it because you may have to use it.
View Quote
  And there it is boiled down.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can we cheat and copy yours?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is not like 2013.  People aren't simply buying fearing bans; they're buying because they think they might need to shoot a motherfucker and don't want to miss the boat.

It's a bit more like the .22 crunch from back then - a ton of people realized they were retarded and should have been buying .22 for years while it was cheap and available.   It took a loooonnnnng time for people to get topped up on rimfire.   Now a bunch of people are trying to get topped up on... basically everything, on top of many millions of new shooters starting from zero.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I would bet every supplier around the globe is trying to get their products into America right now
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Between 18-24 months and availability will return. I'm assuming that - on the production side - there are no massive changes in law or regulation.

If there are changes like that? It's anyone's guess and all the guesses are simply shots in the dark.

Same goes for sale/possession law changes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#30]
This is my conundrum - I’ve got a Glock 21 and a few hundred rounds of .45 I want to sell. I just don’t shoot it.  Do I wait for shit to get worse???

My other thought is to buy a 10mm barrel, extractor and recoil spring. But I doubt I’m finding any 10mm ammo anytime soon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don’t believe you.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Who didn’t see this coming?

And why don’t you reload?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:15:11 AM EDT
[#34]
My fort is worth more than my 401k, and my 401k is up almost 30%.

You wanna buy some ammo?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:19:45 AM EDT
[#35]
There is a new thread about ammo every day.

Scroll down the pages and search.

There is better info on previous threads than any on this one!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:19:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Powder was selling for $100/pound at the gunshow this weekend. Primers $125/1000. .40 ammo $40/25 rounds FMJ.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:23:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Good luck. The less common calibers are only produced by major manufacturers occasionally. I don’t expect they making now or in the foreseeable future. What’s already out there is all there is.
View Quote

Warehouses are also using this as a reason to push old stock out, so the situation is likely worse than it seems so far.

I recently bought new 300WM with 2005 and 2008 lot codes
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:25:31 AM EDT
[#38]
You know we almost have this exact thread already;

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Will-Ammo-Manufacturers-Add-Production-Capacity-/5-2415530/

A year ago I could buy 9mm Blazer for 250 shipped (to my door) from PSA.

People only create these threads when the market is in panic. Businesses don't function like that (or at least the decent ones)

Not to mention, how do we know that the big manufacturers haven't been making the very investments you're speaking to?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:28:08 AM EDT
[#39]
I'd say 12-18 months then prices and availability will normalize.

There won't be any laws anymore restrictive than what we have now. It's all chicken little shit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:30:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'd say 12-18 months then prices and availability will normalize.

There won't be any laws anymore restrictive than what we have now. It's all chicken little shit.
View Quote

Ammo import ban is an EO away.

That's the only thing that has me actually nervous right now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:32:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends.

If unrest picks up, things will get worse.

If there's a major mass shooting, things will get worse.

Barring those two, I think we'll see a gradual return to normalcy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:34:45 AM EDT
[#42]
It’s going up more.

Biden Administration will ban importation of ammunition into the USA. That will further reduce supply. Demand will probably rise as Spring time comes and weather improves in the northern states. Right now .223 is about $1 a round, I expect that by April it will be $2.

I think current demand may see a small drop over time, but the addition of hundreds of thousands of new gun owners means we’ll never see demand return to 2019 levels.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:36:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would bet every supplier around the globe is trying to get their products into America right now
View Quote
When are they not?

If Biden starts talking about gun control on TV, the panic and high prices will continue. If restrictive legislation is passed it'll continue.
If neither happens it'll start to normalize within 6 months (or whenever there's a significant reduction in demand).
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:42:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think current demand may see a small drop over time, but the addition of hundreds of thousands of new gun owners means we'll never see demand return to 2019 levels.
View Quote
Sure we will. (It'll be years before we reach lows like 2019 and that's assuming no "stimuli" from .gov) but just because people own guns doesn't mean they shoot them or routinely buy ammo for them.

If he does ban importation then yes it'll skyrocket.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:55:20 AM EDT
[#45]
IF;

Biden doesn't pursue any additional gun regulations/ammo/mag restrictions, AND
No States pursue any additional gun regulations/ammo/mag restrictions, AND
Biden doesn't push more draconian rules, restrictions and lockdowns on COVID, AND
No States push more draconian rules, restrictions and lockdowns on COVID, AND
Biden doesn't spend us into oblivion with his attempts to placate the people losing homes and businesses, AND
There is no violent civil unrest here in the United States, AND
The Federal Government figures it out and backs off the 'domestic extremist' label they're giving a entire segment of the population, AND
Ammo manufacturers continue current production (or can manage to increase it meaningfully), AND
People just fucking give up trying to find and realize that they have enough, or will never get enough.

2 years from ALL of these being completed; .22 ammo will start to become affordable.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Components are currently running around that. Why not just say you are reloading?
View Quote

Oh, really?

You’re buying small pistol and rifle primers somewhere?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#47]
If you don't already have an ammo fort you're fucked. This will last for a long while.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It’s going up more.

Biden Administration will ban importation of ammunition into the USA. That will further reduce supply. Demand will probably rise as Spring time comes and weather improves in the northern states. Right now .223 is about $1 a round, I expect that by April it will be $2.

I think current demand may see a small drop over time, but the addition of hundreds of thousands of new gun owners means we’ll never see demand return to 2019 levels.

View Quote

I tend to agree, unfortunately. An import ban by EO is the exact sort of thing that HoJo would think they can slip past the Fudd’s so as not to hurt Dem’s in the midterms.

But the ripple effect on retail store shelves will be felt.

If there are that many new gun owners, that’s a significant demand increase. But it takes time and investment to build out manufacturing capacity. So capacity doesn’t just spring from the soil the moment that demand increases. You’re going to have to see a prolonged demand spike before companies think it’s safe to invest in increased manufacturing capacity.

I think the domestic oil industry is a good analog for this. These companies know that they can invest billions in increasing production capacity in a high demand market only to have supply eventually catch up to and then exceed waning demand, causing their investment to return cents on the dollar.

As much as we like to stockpile, we all stop at some point. I’m guilty of having topped out on some pistol calibers and .22LR. Wish I hadn’t. But when you have limited discretionary income to spend, sometimes you buy ammo, but sometimes you buy guns, sometimes you buy accessories and sometimes you buy optics.

So every company or prospective company is doing the same sort of thing we are and trying to predict what’s going to happen in the next few years. If they fear that demand might wane or that the regulatory environment will become adversarial, that’s going to deter them investing in capacity expansion. They’d rather sell everything they can currently produce at higher margins than lose money on an expanded production investment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It’s going up more.

View Quote

Something to keep in mind is that not all of the new buyers are actually shooters. A lot of them are people that got scared and just want a gun and a box of shells to put in the nightstand.

I’d love it if all of them are hardcore new pro-2A activist shooters. But a lot of them are people who will take that gun out once to shoot it and think that a box of 50 rounds is all they really need.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you don't already have an ammo fort you're fucked. This will last for a long while.
View Quote

Well said indeed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top