Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2021 10:02:30 AM EDT
I know this has been hashed out many times but I am curious. What is the most popular pistol WML in use with Law Enforcement? What does your agency authorize?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I voted TLR since that’s what we issue but the X300 is allowed too. I’m guessing we get the TLR because it’s a bit cheaper. It’s a good light though so no complaints.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#2]
TLR1.

I think Surefires are grandfathered in though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]
tlr-1 is issued, surefire is authorized on your own dime though no one chooses to. The tlr-1s have worked great for us.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#4]
TLR-1's are issued. They work fine until the stupid plastic latch breaks. When you contact Streamlight they just send you a big bag of replacement parts. They have good customer service but it's clearly a bad design.

Anyway get a Surefire if you can handle the cost.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the TLR1 remote contoured pressure switch. Used the same thing on a Surefire X300 but actually the Streamlight versions seems to be more durable.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#6]
TLR on pistols, surefire 600DF with hot button on rifle
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#7]
TLR-1 variants are by far the most common in my agency, but the guys who have a higher level of tactical training or understanding all opt for the SureFire U-boat.  
The new Modlight WML is going to be the next big thing once it comes out, which should be any time now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:50:07 AM EDT
[#8]
My agency is pretty liberal and nothing in policy limits us to a brand.  Most have Streamlight TLR's because they are cheaper than Surefire.  I prefer Surefire myself and I see alot of TLRs pop off handguns when we are doing quals on our guys.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Tlr 1 HL on my g23.  Cloud Defensive Owl on my Patrol Rifle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:45:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Personal purchase here so anything goes. Surprisingly weapon lights are not mandatory ?????
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Not mandatory.

Has to be inspected by the Training Captain.

Pistol / Long Gun / Shotgun ok
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:25:53 AM EDT
[#12]
You'll see more TLR 1's at my agency because they're good lights and they're cheaper.  There are those of us who prefer the surefire X300U if for no other reason than for the switches and varrying attachment methods.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Department issues TLR but anything is allowed.  I don't know anyone using a Surefire.  I've used both & prefer Streamlight for pistol & long gun but the Surefire shotgun forend.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#14]
My agency has always allowed anything (or nothing). It just recently started to issue the TLR-1. Its probably pretty evenly split between streamlight and surefire variants, with the X300U being the most popular, and the newest XC model a close second.

Nothing wrong with the TLR-1HL, but I much prefer the switch on the X300U. I normally run the surefire on my duty gun, but have used the TLR in training and carry it in my bag as a backup.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:40:15 PM EDT
[#15]
TLR-1hl, X300U And whatever the Insight v2 dealy is are authorized. I carry a Streamlight.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:09:41 AM EDT
[#16]
My old agency authorized both, I preferred the X300 with a DG switch. I saw way too many problems with the TLR during night quals to ever run one on one of my guns. The switch on those things absolutely suck and turns off under recoil.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#17]
We issue TRL-1's to everyone so that's what everyone uses but our policy does not preclude other lights (with the knowledge that you supply the light, replacement batteries, holster yourself).

J-
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#18]
It's optional.  Most opt for the TLR-1 HL.  One guy has a TLR-2.  I had the TLR-1HL but recently switched to the TLR-7A with low switch.
No one has surefires since we're buying these ourselves.  We haven't had any issues the the TLRs and it's been a long long time.  Those of us that had it started the with old xenon/halogen TLR-1.
My HL went years with no issues on our Glock 31s and I'm one of the few that shoot a lot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#19]
TLR1. I actually like it more than the surefire for a lot of reasons. I also work midnights so it gets used a lot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#20]
TLR1, TLR1HL, TLR7, and something else I don't remember. I've been using the same TLR1 for 7+ years.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#21]
TLR-1s are issued, a few older X300s remain. They tried the TLR7 but didn’t like them.

I haven’t seen any issues with the TLR-1s.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#22]
TLR-1s are issued to everyone.

I could probably use a Surefire if I really wanted to, but I would have to buy my own holster to accommodate it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:19:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I should note that for academy recruits that run the TLR-1 WMLs, we make them disable the strobe feature immediately on day 1 of firearms training.
Our current recruit academy started two weeks ago and are the first ones that are being issued pistols with RDS.  Sig P320 RXP with Romeo1Pro to be exact.  As such, it’s the first class to be mandated to carry a WML since they need one for the Safariland holsters they are issued.  We mandate the TLR-1 HL or X300U-B, though we are going to allow the new Modlite when it comes out.  I’m glad we’ve finally managed to prohibit all the other garbage out there from getting onto officers’ guns.  We still have veteran guys running BlackChicken! Xyphos lights, Inforce and at least one or two asshats running Olight.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I should note that for academy recruits that run the TLR-1 WMLs, we make them disable the strobe feature immediately on day 1 of firearms training.
Our current recruit academy started two weeks ago and are the first ones that are being issued pistols with RDS.  Sig P320 RXP with Romeo1Pro to be exact.  As such, it’s the first class to be mandated to carry a WML since they need one for the Safariland holsters they are issued.  We mandate the TLR-1 HL or X300U-B, though we are going to allow the new Modlite when it comes out.  I’m glad we’ve finally managed to prohibit all the other garbage out there from getting onto officers’ guns.  We still have veteran guys running BlackChicken! Xyphos lights, Inforce and at least one or two asshats running Olight.
View Quote

Please give an update on the 320s with the Romeo 1 pro. My agency is looking at switching to those and we've got two in to t&e, but the weather has prevented us from getting out to the range.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#25]
We can choose but have to pay for them.  Almost everyone runs a TLR-1
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 12:46:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I voted TLR since that's what we issue but the X300 is allowed too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I voted TLR since that's what we issue but the X300 is allowed too.
This.
We allow more models too.

Weapon lights are not required, but a functional light (handheld) is required duty gear.

I'm guessing we get the TLR because it's a bit cheaper. It's a good light though so no complaints.
We issue the TLR-1 HL (because it's cheaper than Surefire and the performance is close). I was involved in the purchasing decision.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#27]
TLR 1

Not bad but not great either IMO.  I feel like I'm constantly changing my batteries and as mentioned earlier, the plastic latch is a weak point.  I wish we hand something that was rechargable.  Dept would save a lot on CR123's as well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
TLR 1

Not bad but not great either IMO.  I feel like I'm constantly changing my batteries and as mentioned earlier, the plastic latch is a weak point.  I wish we hand something that was rechargable.  Dept would save a lot on CR123's as well.
View Quote

Getting people to keep their handheld flashlights and radios charged is a challenge.....pretty sure a rechargeable weapon mounted light would be dead all the time for most officers.  I’ve even seen officers who knew their weapon mounted light batteries were dead but waited till someone could get them new batteries....so carried a dead light for a week or two. I suggested they just buy a few batteries to keep on hand but the attitude I got was “I’m not spending my money for that”. My response was “guess your life isn’t worth a few dollars for a few batteries”. Now that I’m a supervisor, I keep batteries on hand and make sure each officer has at least one set of spares. I also buy them with my own money so I have extras to hand out just in case the department temporarily runs out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Getting people to keep their handheld flashlights and radios charged is a challenge.....pretty sure a rechargeable weapon mounted light would be dead all the time for most officers.  I've even seen officers who knew their weapon mounted light batteries were dead but waited till someone could get them new batteries....so carried a dead light for a week or two. I suggested they just buy a few batteries to keep on hand but the attitude I got was "I'm not spending my money for that". My response was "guess your life isn't worth a few dollars for a few batteries". Now that I'm a supervisor, I keep batteries on hand and make sure each officer has at least one set of spares. I also buy them with my own money so I have extras to hand out just in case the department temporarily runs out.
View Quote

My radio goes into a charging dock which is located in my locker.  I'd be interested to hear what kind of setup your dept runs. In my case, having a power outlet in your locker is probably considered a luxury.

At my last dept all radios got tuned in at end of shift and subsequently got put on a charger.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My radio goes into a charging dock which is located in my locker.  I'd be interested to hear what kind of setup your dept runs. In my case, having a power outlet in your locker is probably considered a luxury.

At my last dept all radios got tuned in at end of shift and subsequently got put on a charger.
View Quote

We have take home cars.  Everyone keeps their radio and usually flashlight chargers at home.  When I get home, the radio and my rechargeable flashlight get put on the charger immediately as I'm getting undressed.  We have new portable radios so the batteries should last at least two shifts (10 hr shifts).  Guess some people get lazy and don't drop it on the charger when they get home.  

If I had a rechargeable weapon mounted light, I would want to charge it at the end of every shift. The negative there would be removing the weapon from the holster and leaving it charging.  We are required to keep all issued weapons secure.  Would work fine if we had lockers with a plug in each locker but I'm not willing to give up my take home car for that!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#31]
The problem with rechargeable weaponlights is what you see with the Olight Valkyrie where if it runs out of juice, you’re fucked.  There’s no way to get it back up and running without recharging it.  I have burned out a set of batteries before in a single shift.  In fact, during the riots last year when my team went into to clear buildings and structures that had been looted, or burned buildings looking for bodies, we went through a lot of batteries.  Pistol WML batteries need to be able to be changed in the field.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The problem with rechargeable weaponlights is what you see with the Olight Valkyrie where if it runs out of juice, you're fucked.  There's no way to get it back up and running without recharging it.  I have burned out a set of batteries before in a single shift.  In fact, during the riots last year when my team went into to clear buildings and structures that had been looted, or burned buildings looking for bodies, we went through a lot of batteries.  Pistol WML batteries need to be able to be changed in the field.
View Quote

I see what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree.   For 99% of nightshift police work I think something like the Olight magnetic charger would be awesome for the convenience factor though.

There has to be a better system than the TLR....Drop the mag, eject the round.  Unscrew the TLR from the pic, fuck with the latch, find the LT that keeps the CR123s under lock and key (or use your own) and reverse the process.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top