Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2018 7:19:02 PM EDT
Been lifting and running a lot over the past year, and I want to get into CrossFit now.
Looking at the variety of events, as well as competitions, I was wondering if I could use my Salomon's.
Been using the Sense Ride's for a while and I'd like to grab another pair specifically for CF.
Is there any chance I wouldn't be able to use them?

thanks
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:44:35 PM EDT
[#1]
You can do it in anything really, but something with a little cushion for running short distances, but not TOO soft for lifting in is good. The only Salomons I have are hiking shoes so I don't know what you have exactly. If you're looking to buy something check out the Reebok Nanos, Nike Metcons, Inov-8s or something like that. There's a lot of good options out there. I like the Nike's.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Any shoe will work as long as you can still drink your protein shakes and talk about crossfit all day.......
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Shoes aren't that important.
Find a good gym with a good coach.
Get the form right, turn up your intensity as required.
You'll figure out the shoes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any shoe will work as long as you can still drink your protein shakes and talk about crossfit all day.......
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Go Nike Metcons, the latest nanos are crummy IMHO.  A lot of people are trying No Bull project, former Reebok employees, and the shoe are supposedly quite good.  I may give them a try myself
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shoes aren't that important.
Find a good gym with a good coach.
Get the form right, turn up your intensity as required.
You'll figure out the shoes.
View Quote
There's truth to this, but really squishy running shoes really suck to try to lift in...even at light weight.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I would stay away from running shoes, they are going to have too much cushion.  Get some kind of "training" shoe, Nike Metcon, Reebok Nano, Adidas Crazypower TR, NoBull Trainers, etc.  If you are going to do it more than a couple of times, use the equipment that was designed for it.  The running shoes will be fine while you try it out to see if you like it though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Been lifting and running a lot over the past year, and I want to get into CrossFit now.
Looking at the variety of events, as well as competitions, I was wondering if I could use my Salomon's.
Been using the Sense Ride's for a while and I'd like to grab another pair specifically for CF.
Is there any chance I wouldn't be able to use them?

thanks
View Quote
Make sure that whatever shoes you choose to wear, you tell everyone how awesome they are.....before they even ask. Even if you are sitting down and someone can't see you shoes, make sure you prop them up on the table and tell them all about them
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy Nike shoes if you support those who kneel for the National Anthem.

I realize all companies at some level have political notions that I don't agree with, but I try to stay away from those that are open and direct about it.

Love inov-8s
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Nike Metcons from a few years back. Im a runner, but i can't run more than a few hundred meters with the metcons before my knees start to ache. They are good for lighter squat work when i don't want to use my lifting shoes though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Buy Nike shoes if you support those who kneel for the National Anthem.

I realize all companies at some level have political notions that I don't agree with, but I try to stay away from those that are open and direct about it.

Love inov-8s
View Quote
My first pair of inov-8s lasted 2 years of everyday use - the most recent pair I have are on three months and garbage.

The sole is coming unglued and the inserts keep coming out. I won't be buying another pair.

I'm going to check out the vivo barefoot, any experience with those?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Go Nike Metcons, the latest nanos are crummy IMHO.  A lot of people are trying No Bull project, former Reebok employees, and the shoe are supposedly quite good.  I may give them a try myself
View Quote
No Bull is a nice shoe but $$$.  Not a big deal if you wear them 200+ days a year.

I'm on my 3rd pair of New Balance Minimus that I really like.  Take that with a grain of salt though,  I have wide, stubby hobbit feet and wear NB almost exclusively.

I find most of mine on a website that rhymes with Shmoe's New Balance Outlet.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There's truth to this, but really squishy running shoes really suck to try to lift in...even at light weight.
View Quote
True.  If I didn't have weighlifting shoes, I'd use a trail runner or low hiking shoe like Merrel Moabs, Accentors, or a pair of Oboz.  Those have fairly solid soles.  Most Keens are too squishy IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd buy a purpose built Crossfit shoes if I was you.

I've had both the Nike Metcon and Reebok Nanos. I liked both, so pick whatever one feels good for you.

I also enjoy running and like the running workouts our coach programs. With that said, if we have a lot of running in the workout I'll wear dedicated running shoes.

Running shoes suck to lift in.

I really enjoy Crossfit and have a lot of fun. Hope you like it!
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I already have the METCON 3's and theyre alright.
Looking for something a little more supportive in terms of box jumps, sprints, etc.
I really appreciate the feedback, and love the jokes!

thanks again
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 5:57:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I do it in New Balance minimus trainers. I forget the bumber but the ones that have a flyeknit-type material, they have an elastic sock liner in them which gives them good mid-foot/arch support but also let my toes splay out naturally. I do long runs in Altra Ones, which have lore cushion, but are also zero drop so I don't kind doing shorter runs and sprints in the New Balances.

ETA:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 6:13:03 AM EDT
[#17]
CrossFit specific shoes work for rope climbs, other don't or at least will be destroyed by the decent.
https://www.511tactical.com/abr-trainer.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top