Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2021 6:48:03 AM EDT
I have a loud snapping or cracking sound coming from my front end. It only starts after successive big hits in very rough trails. I checked the frame, headset, all bolts, and suspension pivots. Everything is torqued correctly. I cannot reproduce the sound by manually cycling the fork with reduced or no air pressure.

I let all the air of out and pressurized the fork. The cracking sound was less pronounced but came back. The fork is 18 months old and has about 2500 miles on it. I’m going to go ahead and service the air spring and lowers.

Any other suggestions on what is making the sound?
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope. A service disassembly will tell you all you need to know.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I had problems with a 36 creaking and popping.  Turns out it was the upper stanchions steer tube. It’s press fit into the stanchions.  Used copious amounts of red locktight around the upper and lower steer tube where it’s pressed in.
It works for a couple months then comes back but I just reapply when I’m done deep cleaning the bike.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I replaced the oil and seals. There was a ton of grease on the air spring. I cleaned it all off and applied slickoleum. I just got back from a ride and couldn’t believe how bad my fork was before. It is so smooth and quiet now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top