Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Even though I would have handled this slightly differently, I still don't think they should be prosecuted for it. The "protesters" broke down a gate so this is far beyond just hanging out on a public sidewalk. Based on recent events there was a clear threat of this turning violent. All it takes for a protest to turn into a riot is one asshole throwing a rock or molotov cocktail.

Does anyone think this would be handled any differently if they had kept the guns at a low ready? They probably could have left them in a case, and the leftists would still be screaming about it, and the corrupt DA would likely go after them for that as well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nuance is lost on GD sometimes. You can be armed without pointing guns at people. You can be on the record as fearing for your life instead of arguing on camera with people you are allegedly so afraid of you have to point guns at them.
View Quote

"nuance"   really?  your comments are hilarious.  Think of how many innocent people have been harmed by these so called "protesters".  People have been killed by these assholes.  I don't give a shit what side of the political spectrum these homeowners reside on or in.  They have a right to take whatever steps they need to in order to protect their life and property.  Pointing the firearm at these asshats could be exactly what convinced them to move on "peacefully".  Looking directly into that blank hole at the end of a barrel tends to have an amazing affect on people..........

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Even though I would have handled this slightly differently, I still don't think they should be prosecuted for it. The "protesters" broke down a gate so this is far beyond just hanging out on a public sidewalk. Based on recent events there was a clear threat of this turning violent. All it takes for a protest to turn into a riot is one asshole throwing a rock or molotov cocktail.

Does anyone think this would be handled any differently if they had kept the guns at a low ready? They probably could have left them in a case, and the leftists would still be screaming about it, and the corrupt DA would likely go after them for that as well.
View Quote

Even if they didn't damage the gate it doesn't change the fact that they trespassed
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Even if they didn't damage the gate it doesn't change the fact that they trespassed
View Quote

True. I just think that the damaged gate should make it easier to defend against whatever charges the liberals want to file, but we do live in a clown world so who knows. By breaking the gate, the protesters knowingly trespassed on private property and lost any excuse to say otherwise.

They should be allowed to carry guns anywhere on their own property in the first place so the whole uproar from the liberals (and some posters here) is bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, if you can't manage to outlaw and confiscate firearms, simply criminalize their legitimate use.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

True. I just think that the damaged gate should make it easier to defend against whatever charges the liberals want to file, but we do live in a clown world so who knows. By breaking the gate, the protesters knowingly trespassed on private property and lost any excuse to say otherwise.

They should be allowed to carry guns anywhere on their own property in the first place so the whole uproar from the liberals (and some posters here) is bullshit.
View Quote

Nobody ever said they could not carry guns or protect their own property. Some people (my self obviously included) have doubts about pointing firearms at people in the street or on the sidewalk when there is no other apparent justification for that level of escalation.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One thing is for use if they create a legal precedent where these people actually go to prison for defending their home we are all screwed.
View Quote

If and when it comes to that I'm going to be getting my moneys worth for my trouble.  Lots of lead flung and blood spilled.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#8]
And this is why I don't buy into the "Back the Blue" , TBL bullshit.  Because it is exactly that, bullshit.
Cops can't protect you all the time, cops won't protect you all the time.
When you're forced to protect yourself, the cops will then come and confiscate your means of self protection, so when the mob comes back to burn your house and beat you to death, you're helpless.
If the cops turn against their corrupt masters and start triple S'ing communists like the St. Louis DA & prosecutor, then I'll consider supporting them.
In the meantime, FTP & FBLM, they're both assholes colliding.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And this is why I don't buy into the "Back the Blue" , TBL bullshit.  Because it is exactly that, bullshit.
Cops can't protect you all the time, cops won't protect you all the time.
When you're forced to protect yourself, the cops will then come and confiscate your means of self protection, so when the mob comes back to burn your house and beat you to death, you're helpless.
If the cops turn against their corrupt masters and start triple S'ing communists like the St. Louis DA & prosecutor, then I'll consider supporting them.
In the meantime, FTP & FBLM, they're both assholes colliding.
View Quote

It's all bullshit. None of these virtue signalers made an 8 page thread when Jacob Bracken got arrested. They would rather support two BLM supporting lawyers.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-man-filmed-pointing-ar-15-at-protesters-arrested-charged-assault
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I still say the best way for Mr. McCloskey to have handled this was to go outside the house, sans spouse, announce in a loud voice that the mob was trespassing and to vacate immediately.  Then he should have retreated to the inside of the house and left the door partially open.  

If anyone had followed him inside, it would have made use of his weapon prudent, legal, necessary, reasonable, and socially acceptable.  IOW, https://youtu.be/HORkT4a2MhQ
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Pretty sure they were chanting "eat the rich!" on his front lawn.

But that's not a threat, somehow, unlike "white lives matter." Right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You generally cannot point guns at people that are trespassing. This has been a thing since forever.

They didn't . They guns didn't come out until they were threatened by the mob

Link to video of threats before guns came out?

Pretty sure they were chanting "eat the rich!" on his front lawn.

But that's not a threat, somehow, unlike "white lives matter." Right?

A criminal threat is immediate, specific and non conditional. “Eat the rich” is a slogan no rational person would believe to be a credible threat.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They apparently have a history of engaging with and escalating with perceived trespassers including pointing a gun at a neighbor. This is an established pattern of behavior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He said "probably" but sure, let's assume whatever details we must to justify a prosecution.

Right?

They tried chasing these guys off verbally.  "Escalating" things as you put it.  Well, the mob refused, because they were unarmed, and appeared worrisome enough for the guy to go back & get a gun before re-engaging.

But sure, let's assume he was totally just over-reacting, had tons of better options that made sense.  Anything to justify a prosecution.

Right?

They apparently have a history of engaging with and escalating with perceived trespassers including pointing a gun at a neighbor. This is an established pattern of behavior.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I still say the best way for Mr. McCloskey to have handled this was to go outside the house, sans spouse, announce in a loud voice that the mob was trespassing and to vacate immediately.  Then he should have retreated to the inside of the house and left the door partially open.  

If anyone had followed him inside, it would have made use of his weapon prudent, legal, necessary, reasonable, and socially acceptable.  IOW, https://youtu.be/HORkT4a2MhQ
View Quote

That's an interesting thought.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is the only reason why I support abolishing all law enforcement agencies. Since they are no longer even following the law themselves, then what purpose do they serve other than being used as a punishment tool against the left's political adversaries?
View Quote

Yes and yes.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Even though I would have handled this slightly differently, I still don't think they should be prosecuted for it. The "protesters" broke down a gate...
View Quote

Are you referring to the open left side of the HOA pedestrian gate?

We do not know who opened it or by what method. A sympathetic homeowner could have opened it for the marchers. Local kids could have forgot to close it. Or one or more people may have forced it open at any time prior to the marchers walking through it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One thing is for use if they create a legal precedent where these people actually go to prison for defending their home we are all screwed.
View Quote

that will mean some people will choose not to go to prison.

and some of them will go offensive to do it.

I can say I would blame them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless a resident gave permission to enter, obviously.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A criminal threat is immediate, specific and non conditional. “Eat the rich” is a slogan no rational person would believe to be a credible threat.
View Quote

After weeks of rioting, murders, arson and beatings nationwide by leftist mobs, are you really going to try to make that argument? Angry leftist mob shows up at rich peeps house chanting “eat the rich” and you’re like no big deal? That’s absolutely insane.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes and yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the only reason why I support abolishing all law enforcement agencies. Since they are no longer even following the law themselves, then what purpose do they serve other than being used as a punishment tool against the left's political adversaries?

Yes and yes.

Basically. They're a luxury and a new idea anyway. The world got by for thousands of years without professional armed guards everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

After weeks of rioting, murders, arson and beatings nationwide by leftist mobs, are you really going to try to make that argument? Angry leftist mob shows up at rich peeps house chanting “eat the rich” and you’re like no big deal? That’s absolutely insane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Showing up at their house? You mean marching past until confronted at gunpoint
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

WTF is with you people?  That doesn't really matter, since the invaders were already IN THEIR HOUSE essentially now does it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wouldn't shock me. They don't seem to have a grasp on self-defense laws and pointing guns at people.

WTF is with you people?  That doesn't really matter, since the invaders were already IN THEIR HOUSE essentially now does it?

Emotions don't matter. I know in my state, I could not point a gun at someone who has trespassed on my property, absent any other articulation of a threat (robbery, arson, kidnapping)...and even then, in today's climate I would want to verify means before my gun comes out.

The invaders were on their property, not IN their house (a keen distinction). If they are not indicted, and the same exact scenario were to unfold, where they don't have security guards, how do you think they will approach the Mulligan?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

"nuance"   really?  your comments are hilarious.  Think of how many innocent people have been harmed by these so called "protesters".  People have been killed by these assholes.  I don't give a shit what side of the political spectrum these homeowners reside on or in.  They have a right to take whatever steps they need to in order to protect their life and property.  Pointing the firearm at these asshats could be exactly what convinced them to move on "peacefully".  Looking directly into that blank hole at the end of a barrel tends to have an amazing affect on people..........

View Quote

If they don't play  their hands right, and end up stripped of their rights or incarcerated, what ability will they have to protect their lives and property?
They were playing the short game, not the long game. I don't blame em for acting how they acted - they were not "wrong", but as with all things in live, most actions or choices we can take are not a hard binary decision.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

An open gate next to a sign that says "Private Property" does not give you permission to enter.

If I leave my garage door open, that doesn't mean that a hobo can just walk into my house.

View Quote

If you've got a Prius parked in there Dirty Mike and the boys might take that open door as an invitation
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
i dont blame them for wanting to defend their home / standing up to the crowd, but id not have done it the way they did it. walking out to sit on the porch and cleaning a rifle with a second loaded rifle leaning against the wall, while the wife shot video of the protestors while calling 911,  would have accomplished the same thing. or having a rifle conceiled under a blanket on your knees as you drink your coffee.

protestor.  " whats under that blanket? "
home owner.. " fuck around and find out"

protestors light a molotov, or try to attack you, and you shoot them with wife getting it all on video, they are kind of fucked. its for this reason im installing a security / camera system soon, so i can have proof of what actually happened on my property, vs what someone else claimed happened. its hard to refute video proof, proving you acted legally to actual threats, its also useful for prosecuting people who threaten you, tresspass, etc..

they might still have charged you, but it would have been a lot harder to prove intent to threaten, sitting and calmly cleaning your rifle, or sipping coffee with a conceiled rifle vs waiving guns around, pointing them at the crowd and screaming threats at them.  they SHOULD have been able to start shooting tresspassers as soon as they ignored warnings to leave, IMHO, as property rights should be absolute in my opinion, and the right to defend them absolute, and someone breaking the law should have no legal recourse or ability to sue... but unfortunately thats not the world we live in today. people video everything, and plenty of bleeding heart, politically motivated government agents are more than willing to ruin your life, even when your in the right legally. what might get you praise in the news in one area, might get you life in prison in another area, optics are always important IMHO, and you had best try to have good optics in your favor if shit goes sideways.  

a 60 year old man running around outraged, waving a gun around, and screaming threats will not get nearly as much compassion in the media / court proceedings as a 60 year old man appearing meek , feeble and disabled, who draws a weapon in fear for his life at the last minute as a horde of angry people decend on him on his own property after asking them to leave for example. or the elderly feable wife shooting them from a window as they attack her unarmed husband.
View Quote

The reality is you could tell from the video neither of them had much in the way of training if any. They reacted to a situation they probably had never been in or even thought about until then.

I am not criticising them, just stating people react and if they have no training in force escalation or scenario dependant weapon use, they don't even know what they are going to do before they are doing it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I disagree.

This couple had undoubtedly been watching news reports and footage of mobs of BLM supporters over the past few days vandalizing and burning and destroying structures in multiple places in the U.S.

A mob exactly like that (as far as they know) then illegally enters their PRIVATE street, and when asked to leave, not only refuses to leave, but starts chanting "eat the rich" .... and you don't see how someone MIGHT see that as threatening?

Really?
View Quote

I suppose the dividing line is when does the emotion of being frightened cross the line into a reasonable man test passing credible threat?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#29]
From the video footage I saw neither one of them appear to take aim at anyone . Mark McCloskey's muzzle was down but his wife on the other hand was just flagging the shit out of people probably due to a lack of training in the proper handling and use of firearms .
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They are the first house inside the gate, once you enter the (clearly marked) private street.

How are they supposed to know if the mob is going to stop at their house, or keep walking?  The mob is not supposed to be there at all.

Your suggestion is a little like telling a guy who is facing a charging rhino  "Do you really know that he is going to trample you?  Maybe he is planning to run right past."  That's easy to say in hindsight, but a lot trickier when you are the first house on the street, and you see a mob entering the gate and heading towards your house.  Sure, they MIGHT just be out for a stroll in your private street in your private neighborhood ... but they MIGHT also be there to burn down your house, because you are a rich white asshole.

Should you wait until your house is on fire, before you are sure?
View Quote

All of that justifies a planned response and perhaps low ready, not pointing firearms at randoms seemingly for the sole purpose of an exclamation point at the end of a verbal argument with trespassers. Look at the conduct of the Silent Brigade vs these idiots.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#32]
It's just a mob, there's no articulable threat, no immediate harm, etc.

Let's flip this around.

If the McKloskeys were black, and this was a group of people in white pointy hats going for a stroll through the neighborhood, would anyone be criticising the couple for their actions?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And that is presumably exactly what the charges/trial will probably revolve around.

I consider myself extremely reasonable.  I would have done everything exactly the same as what this guy did, EXCEPT I would not have pointed the weapon at anyone.  I would have had an AR visibly on me, but I would have stayed in low ready, muzzle pointed at the ground.
View Quote

I think we agree on actions and even on the general principles, but that big ole EXCEPT is kind of a night and day difference when it comes to avoiding legal trouble. One would think a pair of lawyers would be familiar with the concept.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

He said "probably" but sure, let's assume whatever details we must to justify a prosecution.

Right?

They tried chasing these guys off verbally.  "Escalating" things as you put it.  Well, the mob refused, because they were unarmed, and appeared worrisome enough for the guy to go back & get a gun before re-engaging.

But sure, let's assume he was totally just over-reacting, had tons of better options that made sense.  Anything to justify a prosecution.

Right?
View Quote

We only saw a fairly small number, and short time on video, of the crowd, with various estimations putting them between 100-300 people. I don't believe the mob was unarmed, as a reporter had tried to interview them just prior to entering the McCloskey's neighborhood. She stated she was chased off by a guy with an AK47. Maybe an AR and she was confused, but she saw a rifle. The McCloskey's stated that a guy pulled pistol mag's out of his pocket in front of them and started "clacking" them together while threatening them.

Being the litigious rascal that he is, I can't believe the house is not wired with camera's. There is a very good reason McCloskey hasn't revealed that and shown videos from their point of view just yet.

The entry gate was destroyed, as was an exit gate on the opposite end of the housing area.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Let's flip this around.

If the McKloskeys were black, and this was a group of people in white pointy hats going for a stroll through the neighborhood, would anyone be criticising the couple for their actions?
View Quote

If the Klan is marching down a street and not committing any other crime than alleged simple trespass pointing a gun at them is illegal. If this goes to court it is going to be interesting since the McClosky's are in a legal fight with their neighbors and have pointed a gun at neighbors over people allegedly trespassing in the same spot previously.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I agree completely.

... except I do not think they are "idiots" - I honestly think they were scared, and I do think they had the legal right to do what they did.

I agree they could have displayed better judgment, but not everyone is equally cool under pressure, and not everyone responds the same to stressful situations.  I think they could have done better, but I still think they did okay.

Had they opened fire, then we would agree 100% on the "idiot" part.  
View Quote

And now we are back to looking at pictures of fingers on triggers and the gun allegedly being broken. The only thing dumber than threatening a mob with no backup is doing so with a nonfunctioning weapon.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

And now we are back to looking at pictures of fingers on triggers and the gun allegedly being broken. The only thing dumber than threatening a mob with no backup is doing so with a nonfunctioning weapon.
View Quote

Ironically the thing you proclaim as dumb worked to disperse the mob. If it’s dumb but it works...
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ironically the thing you proclaim as dumb worked to disperse the mob. If it’s dumb but it works...
View Quote

They didn't disperse they kept traveling on their original intended path to the mayor's house. The only people that cared about that strip of land that isn't even their yard or house grounds proper are the McCloskys, who care so much about it they are in a legal fight with their neighbors over it, pointed a gun at a neighbor previously over it, and decided to accost a mob traveling through it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yes and yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and yes.

Yep.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They didn't disperse they kept traveling on their original intended path to the mayor's house. The only people that cared about that strip of land that isn't even their yard or house grounds proper are the McCloskys, who care so much about it they are in a legal fight with their neighbors over it, pointed a gun at a neighbor previously over it, and decided to accost a mob traveling through it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

if you cant read between the lines,  i cant help you.  your peaceful until its time to use force, showing your armed is sometimes useful to deescalate, sometimes its not. iv shown i was armed several times and it descalated the situation and kept me from harm. i would not have done so in front of a horde of people all filming everything however.

the guy could have had the rifle slung, pointing at the ground across his chest, hand on the grip, it accomplishes the same thing, and harder to claim your " threatening" anyone. the wife pointing and waiving her gun around at everyone not so much. it could be easily argued she was guilty of reckless endangerment for example, against a " peaceful protest". you can argue all you want about defending your property, but there are DEFINATELY better ways to go about it, and worse ways, to claim there is not is completely ignoring the legal system, and the politicized country we live in today, and prosecutors eager to put a notch in their social justice belt by sending you to prison if possible, or bankrupt you trying to, take away your rights to keep and bear arms forever thru a conviction etc..

you can be completely in the right, and lose everything and go to prison, and completely in the wrong and come out like a saint, the recent news proves it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i dont blame them for wanting to defend their home / standing up to the crowd, but id not have done it the way they did it. walking out to sit on the porch and cleaning a rifle with a second loaded rifle leaning against the wall, while the wife shot video of the protestors while calling 911,  would have accomplished the same thing. or having a rifle conceiled under a blanket on your knees as you drink your coffee.

protestor.  " whats under that blanket? "
home owner.. " fuck around and find out"

protestors light a molotov, or try to attack you, and you shoot them with wife getting it all on video, they are kind of fucked. its for this reason im installing a security / camera system soon, so i can have proof of what actually happened on my property, vs what someone else claimed happened. its hard to refute video proof, proving you acted legally to actual threats, its also useful for prosecuting people who threaten you, tresspass, etc..

they might still have charged you, but it would have been a lot harder to prove intent to threaten, sitting and calmly cleaning your rifle, or sipping coffee with a conceiled rifle vs waiving guns around, pointing them at the crowd and screaming threats at them.  they SHOULD have been able to start shooting tresspassers as soon as they ignored warnings to leave, IMHO, as property rights should be absolute in my opinion, and the right to defend them absolute, and someone breaking the law should have no legal recourse or ability to sue... but unfortunately thats not the world we live in today. people video everything, and plenty of bleeding heart, politically motivated government agents are more than willing to ruin your life, even when your in the right legally. what might get you praise in the news in one area, might get you life in prison in another area, optics are always important IMHO, and you had best try to have good optics in your favor if shit goes sideways.  

a 60 year old man running around outraged, waving a gun around, and screaming threats will not get nearly as much compassion in the media / court proceedings as a 60 year old man appearing meek , feeble and disabled, who draws a weapon in fear for his life at the last minute as a horde of angry people decend on him on his own property after asking them to leave for example. or the elderly feable wife shooting them from a window as they attack her unarmed husband.

OK, so you're cool with violent, destructive goons roaming across your property so long as they don't burn anything.

if you cant read between the lines,  i cant help you.  your peaceful until its time to use force, showing your armed is sometimes useful to deescalate, sometimes its not. iv shown i was armed several times and it descalated the situation and kept me from harm. i would not have done so in front of a horde of people all filming everything however.

the guy could have had the rifle slung, pointing at the ground across his chest, hand on the grip, it accomplishes the same thing, and harder to claim your " threatening" anyone. the wife pointing and waiving her gun around at everyone not so much. it could be easily argued she was guilty of reckless endangerment for example, against a " peaceful protest". you can argue all you want about defending your property, but there are DEFINATELY better ways to go about it, and worse ways, to claim there is not is completely ignoring the legal system, and the politicized country we live in today, and prosecutors eager to put a notch in their social justice belt by sending you to prison if possible, or bankrupt you trying to, take away your rights to keep and bear arms forever thru a conviction etc..

you can be completely in the right, and lose everything and go to prison, and completely in the wrong and come out like a saint, the recent news proves it.

I am somewhat surprised, both being lawyers, that they would not know the local laws and be more careful.

But like I said before, and I am not criticising them, but when people feel threatened and they have no training or experience in confrontation and the escalation of force they have no baseline to fall back to, they are frightened and hyped and have nothing to fall back on.  They generally don't know what they are going to do until they end up doing it. It is just human nature and why training is so important.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Accost a mob. Interesting choice of language there.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

It also does not change the fact an angry mob of people were shouting out loud they “intended” to cause destruction and/or harm others.
Any group of people standing in front of my home Loudly shouting, directly pointing in my direction and proclaiming they Intend to cause harm. Get treated as the direct threat they are.

Good brandish. Brandishing of a firearm To show they will not willingly accept mob rule may have actually made those assholes think twice before actually doing something that would get them shot.
The mob bitched and moaned but they never got the nerve to follow through on their verbal threats.

In the totality of circumstances I see no problem. Espically since no rounds were fired.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If the Klan is marching down a street and not committing any other crime than alleged simple trespass pointing a gun at them is illegal. If this goes to court it is going to be interesting since the McClosky's are in a legal fight with their neighbors and have pointed a gun at neighbors over people allegedly trespassing in the same spot previously.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's flip this around.

Except that isn’t even what remotely happened here, so you might as well used the high school marching band as an example.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Nobody ever said they could not carry guns or protect their own property. Some people (my self obviously included) have doubts about pointing firearms at people in the street or on the sidewalk when there is no other apparent justification for that level of escalation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are times to be contrarian, and in isolation I might even agree with you. Given the actual circumstances, I just can’t, and really, you should join the side you’re on.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It also does not change the fact an angry mob of people were shouting out loud they “intended” to cause destruction and/or harm others.
Any group of people standing in front of my home Loudly shouting, directly pointing in my direction and proclaiming they Intend to cause harm. Get treated as the direct threat they are.

Good brandish. Brandishing of a firearm To show they will not willingly accept mob rule may have actually made those assholes think twice before actually doing something that would get them shot.
The mob bitched and moaned but they never got the nerve to follow through on their verbal threats.

In the totality of circumstances I see no problem. Espically since no rounds were fired.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#48]
I would have done the same but used a 12ga semi auto loaded with double o buck...Held low but ready. just because joe says it is the way to go.
Lol
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#49]
They should absolutely have a legal right to carry firearms on their own property.

However, the number one rule when shooting is not to point a gun at something you don’t intend to destroy.  My dad taught me that when I was four.  

They screwed that up and made all gun owners look irresponsible.  

Mixed emotions about how it should be handled, but they should not be made a political example of.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You generally cannot point guns at people that are trespassing. This has been a thing since forever.
View Quote

The rules change when THERE’S 300+ OF THEM AND 2 OF YOU

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top