Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2020 3:26:35 PM EDT
What am I missing here? Assuming driving it about 5,000 miles a year.

Purchase price: $275k
Sales Tax: $22,700
Gas Guzzler Tax: ~$5000

Annual Costs:
Car Insurance: $7500 / yr
Maintenance Costs: $25,000 / yr  (includes Annual Maintenance)
Registration (CO): $5000 /yr
Fuel (premium only): $1200/yr

Sounds like it would cost you about $40k a year to own, not including the cost of the vehicle. A new set of tires installed around $2000-2500.  Maintenance varies tremendously, the first year probably only $6k but later years being much higher. It might be safe to assume new tires every year.

I'd also assume you HAVE to have a large, unoccupied space in a climate-controlled garage to store this beast in- with a security system. Am I way off? Missing something critical?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Annual Costs:

Sounds like it would cost you about $40k a year to own, not including the cost of the vehicle. A new set of tires installed around $2000-2500.  Maintenance varies tremendously, the first year probably only $6k but later years being much higher. It might be safe to assume new tires every year.

I'd also assume you HAVE to have a large, unoccupied space in a climate-controlled garage to store this beast in- with a security system. Am I way off? Missing something critical?
View Quote

you don't need annual maintenance for 5000 mile driven years.

people tend to do 15K/30K etc service intervals which can be pretty sporty depending on model of exotic.  

you change the oil once a year.     if you don't do it yourself on an exotic can be 500 - 3000 per change (again depending on model)  

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

people tend to do 15K/30K etc service intervals which can be pretty sporty depending on model of exotic.  

you change the oil once a year.     if you don't do it yourself on an exotic can be 500 - 3000 per change (again depending on model)  

View Quote

Thanks for your info. Do other "Lambo" owners look down on those that change their own oil? For some reason I really enjoy doing that on nice cars- cost savings aside.

Also I should mention this is more of a pipe dream than a personal circumstance at this point.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#3]
$40,000 /year to own.

5,000 miles/year

That's $8/mile!

$275k to own + (100,000 miles life expectance / 5,000 miles/year) * $40k/year = $275k + $800k = $1.1 M total cost

$1.1M / 100,000 miles = $11/mile!

When you are done, you have a 20 year old Huracan that's in need of a complete re-do (100,000 miles on the odo) and it's not yet old enough to be collectable. so resale value is low.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have to ask.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you have to ask.
View Quote
This.

You are not going to be able to keep up in a money-spending contest with other Lamborghini owners, who will drop $200 or $300 on "a nice dinner" at their favorite restaurant without thinking anything of it.

Same with Ferrari people, don't try it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for your info. Do other "Lambo" owners look down on those that change their own oil? For some reason I really enjoy doing that on nice cars- cost savings aside.

Also I should mention this is more of a pipe dream than a personal circumstance at this point.
View Quote

8 drain plugs and some panels to get to them doesn't sound like a fun Saturday afternoon. Costs ~$1K to have a shop perform the "service". Over 4 hours book  labor just for changing the oil.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have to ask how much it costs to own/operate, you can't afford it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are two answers to this;

1.  Do NOT ever do maintenance yourself if you ever plan on selling this car.  The 2nd owners want a paper trail on everything.

2.  If you are looking at buying one of these new or even used within the last five years, why are you asking these questions on AR15.com?  I can tell you if you are serious about a purchase like this, come join a specialty board.  There is more than likely a car club in your area on said internet board.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd check your annual registration cost.
Colorado isn't cheap as you already know.
I'm guessing the first year or two are going to be closer to $8-10k a year.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#10]
BTW, the 3rd and 4th and 5th tier owners of these want maintenance receipts as well.  I have a good friend who is a 4th owner on a car.  He seems to think he can have these elite expectations on a car that has been whored out to 3 people before him.  I rib him about it, but idea behind the comment is still there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
BTW, the 3rd and 4th and 5th tier owners of these want maintenance receipts as well.  I have a good friend who is a 4th owner on a car.  He seems to think he can have these elite expectations on a car that has been whored out to 3 people before him.  I rib him about it, but idea behind the comment is still there.
View Quote
I have no idea what that statement means, can you try it a different way?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His friend wants detailed traceable receipts (dealer maintained) for every oil change, maintenance, every time the tires were filled with that special tire filling air, etc. for a car that's on its 4th owner.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:38:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Your maintenance costs are pretty steep IMO. People drive these every day. There's getting to be high mileage ones out there whose owners report very few problems. 188k miles on some Vegas rental Huracan on a google search.
Unless racing every day, I'd imagine the tires are good for 10k - 15k miles, so call it every other year.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Your maintenance costs are pretty steep IMO. People drive these every day. There's getting to be high mileage ones out there whose owners report very few problems. 188k miles on some Vegas rental Huracan on a google search.
Unless racing every day, I'd imagine the tires are good for 10k - 15k miles, so call it every other year.
View Quote

25,000/yr in maintenance?  Give me a break.  It's an Audi.

Unless you're planning on the engine seizing in the fourth year and amortizing that cost over the entire period you'll probably have a few grand in maintenance on a new Huracan.

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There are two answers to this;

1.  Do NOT ever do maintenance yourself if you ever plan on selling this car.  The 2nd owners want a paper trail on everything.

2.  If you are looking at buying one of these new or even used within the last five years, why are you asking these questions on AR15.com?  I can tell you if you are serious about a purchase like this, come join a specialty board.  There is more than likely a car club in your area on said internet board.
View Quote

This. When it comes to exotics, buyers insist on a maintenance paper trail. Many years ago I knew someone who was into Ferrari. The listing for a car stated things like all work done by (experts tech name or shop). It seemed some mentioned more about the maintenance than the car itself.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Buy a C8.

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you have to ask.
View Quote

Quoted:
If you have to ask how much it costs to own/operate, you can't afford it.
View Quote

Simply not true.  

I have money and I’m a numbers guy.  I also like knowing things, I like knowledge.   I like trivia as well.

Just because a man is curious does not mean he doesn’t have the means.

If you don’t have his financials, you just don’t know.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#18]
There is an ex rental Lamborghini listed for sale right now with 149,000 miles on it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Annual Costs:

View Quote
My neighbor is that million next door type. He has two Ferraris and two Maseratis. Three out of the four are stored in his garage in a climate controlled environment. He waxes them all the time. The older Ferrari requires annual tube ups that cost $3500-$5000 if I remember correctly. Maintenance is very, very expensive. The newer models do require less maintenance though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Buy a Vette.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My neighbor is that million next door type. He has two Ferraris and two Maseratis. Three out of the four are stored in his garage in a climate controlled environment. He waxes them all the time. The older Ferrari requires annual tube ups that cost $3500-$5000 if I remember correctly. Maintenance is very, very expensive. The newer models do require less maintenance though.
View Quote
As I recall, on some of the earlier ones(308?) you had to pull the engine to change the spark plugs.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Your not working on your own car. They make sure of that...
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a 911 and do most of the maintenance myself.  I keep a log book.  People are going to PPI the car anyway.
Records are good, dealership records aren’t necessary IMO.
911 is a bit different market but I’d argue the buyers are as anal as any...
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Simply not true.  

I have money and I’m a numbers guy.  I also like knowing things, I like knowledge.   I like trivia as well.

Just because a man is curious does not mean he doesn’t have the means.

If you don’t have his financials, you just don’t know.
View Quote

Sorry.  You are right.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Your not working on your own car. They make sure of that...
View Quote

They sure to try to keep owners from wrenching, that's for sure.  You may have the tools and ability to replace a clutch but, unless you have access to the software, you can't reset the computer.  

A Huracan may have a bunch of Audi parts in it but see what happens if you drive up to an Audi dealer for service.  They probably won't even touch it, much less do any work on it.  It's just not worth it for an Audi dealer to have someone on staff that can work on a Lamborghini.  At least in most cases.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Why is the registration so much? I’m not talking about property tax, unless that’s what you mean by “registration”. Here, the registration is the license plates annual fee, like $50.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why is the registration so much? I’m not talking about property tax, unless that’s what you mean by “registration”. Here, the registration is the license plates annual fee, like $50.
View Quote

Some states roll the property tax in with the registration so they can essentially force the owner to pay the taxes and not just get the tag renewed.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nevada and many others base the registration fee on the value of the car. It blew my mind when I moved down here and they wanted a couple grand to register my excursion which in Alaska cost $150 for two years. I asked why they were taxing me on a vehicle I already owned and she said it wasn't a tax. I explained that a fee based on value was a tax and walked out. Ran my AK registration as long as I could and saved a pile of money.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:17:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Colorado is now the most expensive state in the country to register vehicles, thanks to Jared "Pole Smoker" Polis and John Hickenlooper before him.
The registration fee is a de facto ownership tax that is based on the retail price of the vehicle.\

Example: $26k Honda Accord: $460
             $275k Lamborghini: $5005
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I work(ed) on highlines/exotics.  How in the world are you coming up with $25,000 a year maintenance?

Even if you drove 3000miles/month and changed the oil every month and assume the oil change is $1000(Which it's not), there's just no way you're going to get there unless you're replacing carbon rotors every 6 months; and I've never had to replace a carbon rotor.  In fact I've only done one brake job on a Lambo and that was a super high mileage Gallardo.

When I was at the dealer The only yearly maintenance was brake fluid and oil if not driven.  Even if you did spark plugs and filters, that number is pretty absurd.  That number is even ridiculous for engine out timing belts like on the older Ferraris.

That number would be akin to Bugatti/Mclaren F1 type "Super Exotics"  but those insane services aren't every year, more like 3 to 7 (Bladder fuel tanks and such)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#31]
It’s actually not that expensive to insure and maintain.  Buy a used one and sell after a year or two, won’t depreciate as much either.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#33]
OP, your numbers are a bit on the high side...

MSRP - It is what it is (2021 RWD well optioned is $260k)
Tax - Get your tax guy involved...more than one way to skin that cat.
Maintenance - Buy maintenance at purchase.  5yr cost me $8,700.
Insurance -  Agreed value policy runs $4,200/yr.  For reference, GT3 insurance adds approx $1700/yr to my Geico policy.
Registration - Depends on state.  NV is expensive

As far as tires and other service, a private shop is what you’re looking for.  Personally I’d rather pull my wheels and have Discount Tire mount and balance...that’s all they do and they’re good at it.  The 5.2 is bulletproof, hope to convince my wife the benefits of a supercharger by summer.

If you’re seriously looking...
- Consider buying maintenance at purchase.
- Think about the color options...I’d rather have a white (or black) car I can wrap and not look weird when opening the doors.  And you can get matte with PPF.  Also for resale...while giallo horus looks amazing, it’s not for everyone.
- Look at the R8...dealer network, insurance can be easier, easier to load up for a weekend trip.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Somebody here has one, you should ask them. ETA it could be the guy above me, LOL

Somebody in my neighborhood has a mclaren, but I don’t know him. I’ll bet maintenance on that thing is a bitch. Sounds mean as hell though when it gets wound up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Just buy a Miata and throw a $5 bill out the window every mile you drive. That should be pretty similar.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just buy a Miata and throw a $5 bill out the window every mile you drive. That should be pretty similar.
View Quote

I like Miatas, but that's not nearly the same thing.

And also, I am too tall / big to fit in one comfortably.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Everyone I know with exotic cars or high end RVs has them registered in Nebraska or Wyoming or something like that to save a pile of $ on taxes.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't tell you what lambo owners think of other people, but you'd be surprised how down to earth some of them are. A good friend of mine's brother is the head of the Laborghini Club of America, he's just a salaried Controls Engineer for Ford. The guy wears jeans and beat up T-Shirts everywhere but has not one, but TWO Miuras and a Huracan. He's a little on the aloof side, but you can talk to the guy like anyone else.

The Ferarri dealership my old Ducati club had a meeting at would charge $2k for an oil change and $2k for a no-start. You read that right, if your car was left off of it's battery tender and you had to call them to make it run again, they would pick up the car on a flatbed, take it to the shop, charge the battery, look the car over, and deliver it again for TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS. All their customers need to do is clamp a battery charger to the battery posts for a few minutes and achieve the same outcome, but these people want to be 'taken care of'.

If you're counting cost, you may not be cut out for this, and god help you if you break something down the road.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'd check your annual registration cost.
Colorado isn't cheap as you already know.
I'm guessing the first year or two are going to be closer to $8-10k a year.
View Quote

This is why many high value vehicle owners-even RV owners get their plates in states like Montana.

Oh, and OP: Values on cars like this depend on how many of them are available at the time you want to buy. If there are only one or two Huracans for sale, you're Boned when you go to buy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

It means that they want Provenance on the vehicle, just like the second owner did. He wants to know that the maintenance was done by someone qualified to do it and that the work was done on time. These aren't really cars that you sit down and fix with your Chilton's manual. People that have these cars expect White Glove treatment.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Buy a Vette.
View Quote

Better off with an Ariel Atom if you want to go fast. The Vette is nice, but the Atom is something that is cheap to work on and if it isn't, for some reason, fast enough.... well, it's a Civic Type R engine and you can tune the bejeesuz out of it and buy a whole new motor when it blows up for less than the labor on the C8 build to go half as fast around a track.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Montana.

You aren't saving money registering in Wyoming. Lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone I know with exotic cars or high end RVs has them registered in Nebraska or Wyoming or something like that to save a pile of $ on taxes.
Montana.

Maybe that's it.

ETA: none of them have MO tags
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I work(ed) on highlines/exotics.  How in the world are you coming up with $25,000 a year maintenance?

Even if you drove 3000miles/month and changed the oil every month and assume the oil change is $1000(Which it's not), there's just no way you're going to get there unless you're replacing carbon rotors every 6 months; and I've never had to replace a carbon rotor.  In fact I've only done one brake job on a Lambo and that was a super high mileage Gallardo.

When I was at the dealer The only yearly maintenance was brake fluid and oil if not driven.  Even if you did spark plugs and filters, that number is pretty absurd.  That number is even ridiculous for engine out timing belts like on the older Ferraris.

That number would be akin to Bugatti/Mclaren F1 type "Super Exotics"  but those insane services aren't every year, more like 3 to 7 (Bladder fuel tanks and such)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/498109/20140402_175644_zps319c5647_jpg-1758946.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/498109/20140127_125428_zps5e06b3e5_jpg-1758957.JPG

View Quote

No can do on the Bugatti service prices.  $21k an oil change at any Bugatti dealer.  I think it’s $27k on the Chiron.  New set of tires?  $38k.  Don’t believe me:

$50k per annum on Bugatti service
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#45]
How about a preowned i8?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:28:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How about a preowned i8?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Montana.

View Quote

or Nebraska... F' that place.  They tax you every year you register your vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#48]
My neighbor has a 1991 Diablo. He and his car buddies do their own maintenance. To be honest the car was not that fast and tremendously uncomfortable. I'd rather have a yacht or airplane.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My neighbor has a 1991 Diablo. He and his car buddies do their own maintenance. To be honest the car was not that fast and tremendously uncomfortable. I'd rather have a yacht or airplane.
View Quote

I'm not sure I would want anything to do with a yacht or airplane that you can buy for the cost of a '91 Lambo.

I knew a guy that had anywhere between eight and twelve exotics at a time. Enzo for awhile, Lambos scattered around like skittles. He was the ultimate exotic car guy stereotype in that get rich quick kind of style.

That said he was a funny guy. Late one night in a bar a bunch of us were sitting around bullshitting with the waitress and someone made a joke about how big his dick was. The waitress jokingly asked the car guy "What about you?" and he replied "Honey I own nine Lambos...I'm hung like a field mouse."
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No can do on the Bugatti service prices.  $21k an oil change at any Bugatti dealer.  I think it’s $27k on the Chiron.  New set of tires?  $38k.  Don’t believe me:

$50k per annum on Bugatti service
View Quote

Oh, I believe it.  I watched a couple guys do one on video.   They said some ridiculous amount.  Entire car comes apart.  People with that kind of money don't have any concept of money by the point.  $30,000 oil changes and people skin leather; only the best for the elite.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top