Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/29/2020 2:07:38 AM EDT
Interesting

In the 12 years since [Heller], scholars have gained access to a new research tool that some hope can settle this debate: corpus linguistics. This tool allows researchers to search millions of documents to see how words were used during the founding era, and could help courts determine how the Constitution was understood at that time—what is known as “original public meaning.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 5:42:35 AM EDT
[#1]
They mention “common law” ownership of firearms, but then blow right by it.  Aside from their specific analyses of the phrases right to keep and bear arms, the authors did not research words and phrases on general firearms ownership and use.  Private ownership was prolific and universal, and to suggest the founders considered it anything other than an individual right is either dishonest or a sign of incompetence.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Blah, blah, blah.

The Pennsylvania Constitution, ratified in 1776, is unequivocal:

XIII. That the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the state; and as standing armies in the time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; And that the military should be kept under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power

The irony for me is how minutely we parse the RTKBA yet completely gloss over the Founders' fear of standing armies.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The irony for me is how minutely we parse the RTKBA yet completely gloss over the Founders' fear of standing armies.
View Quote
Rendered utterly comical by the fact that one of the modern justifications for elimination of the RKBA is we have a standing army to defend us.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Rendered utterly comical by the fact that one of the modern justifications for elimination of the RKBA is we have a standing army to defend us.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We all know the minutiae is grilled in the 2A to try to parse out exceptions, but even in their own conclusion, they still couldn't come out & say the individual right doesn't exist.

A constitutional amendment is the only legal means to nullify the 2A.  Otherwise, the only other alternative is conflict.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
The last historic memory is that appropriation for the military have a two year limit.
With some larger projects taking more than two years we have found other ways of
hedging the Constitution without out-and-out breaking it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Wouldn't most writing (written word being a somewhat expensive proposition through most of history) focus on larger public events (ie. related to the military) rather than the individual rights and goings on of the every-day person?  I'm surprised they found much that wasn't specifically related to the military.  It's not like sampling all of social media today.  I hope they do try to publish academically, because this needs peer review.

Also, why throw in the prediction about the New York City case pending?
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Blah, blah, blah.

The Pennsylvania Constitution, ratified in 1776, is unequivocal:

XIII. That the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the state; and as standing armies in the time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; And that the military should be kept under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power

View Quote
The "Pennsylvania Constitution" is of very small value in deciding issues about the meaning of the Federal Constitution.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top