Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2018 11:42:54 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File

I tried to get  some info in the Griswold thread, but nothing, so here goes.

I read some comments that said to season the thing before use and to never start cooking without first warming it up. Any tips on using this sort of thing?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Why?,,
Cornbread shouldn't be made into little corn sticks
Its corn BREAD man ..make it like it should be,nice and thick and WITH real corn in it
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#2]
That's cast iron?  Use it like anything else cast iron.

Season with repeated use of fats at higher temp.  You can use one of the pre season instructions or do what I would do, line that puppy with bacon and bake some bacon in it.  Repeatedly.

Use your bacon grease bucket (you have one of those right?) to get some good grease in it, throw it in the oven before pouring your batter in.  Batter should sizzle a little bit when you pour.

Put back in oven to bake.

Homegirl here has the basics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pzz8db-hCo

I use bacon fat instead of veggie oil, sometimes add dehydrated jalapenos and cheese.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Brush the pan with shortening just before adding corn bread mix, or spray it with canola oil spray.  Hot oven.

ETA. I put mine I the oven to preheat, add the mix to a hot pan, not cold, less chance of sticking.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why?,,
Its corn BREAD man ..make it like it should be,nice and thick and WITH real corn in it
View Quote
You’re not one of those people that dumps sweet corn into the batter, are you? That’s an abomination. Sweet cornbread too.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You’re not one of those people that dumps sweet corn into the batter, are you? That’s an abomination. Sweet cornbread too.
View Quote
I have no idea what kinda corn..i don't cook.i just eat.
And the best Cornbread isn't Corn sticks

Its Cornbread with corn in it...Delicious
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why?,,
View Quote
We have grandkids to entertain.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?,,
A Southern Gal.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, spray with cornholia oil, then put in oven while preheating.  When oven reaches 450, fill each with cornbread batter then top with a hotdog that has been split lengthwise.  Corn Dogs!  Prepare for panties to drop.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I am going to have to get a smoked hock and some bean soup, to try out that corn bread recipe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top