Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2022 10:12:55 AM EDT
I'm going to give it a shot this afternoon, my first attempt

I have a couple of questions

What is the difference, if any, between baby back ribs and "pork loin back ribs"?

Do you regulate temp by the vent on the lid?  Open = more air = hotter?

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Baby back ribs are smaller

You can do ribs on a Weber kettle, but unless you have an accurate thermometer to monitor your grill temp.., it  is difficult to maintain a constant temp or know how long to cook.

Purists will scold you for it... but it is much easier/fail safe to season the rib racks wrap them in foil and bake them in the oven at 250 deg for 3hrs on a cookie sheet.

Then unwrap and transfer the ribs to the (already hot) grill for another 45 mins to finish them.

Throw some applewood chips in (the charcoal) for smoked flavor.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Baby back ribs are smaller

You can do ribs on a Weber kettle, but unless you have an accurate thermometer to monitor your grill temp.., it  is difficult to maintain a constant temp or know how long to cook.

Purists will scold you for it... but it is much easier/fail safe to season the rib racks wrap them in foil and bake them in the oven at 250 deg for 3hrs on a cookie sheet.

Then unwrap and transfer the ribs to the (already hot) grill for another 45 mins to finish them.

Throw some applewood chips in (the charcoal) for smoked flavor.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277150/9E6999F8-309D-4B28-ABE9-9FE4E3EF03C5_jpe-2391614.JPG

View Quote

Interesting

I usually do my ribs in the oven.  Poor substitute for sure, but not garbage

I'll do as you suggest tonight and finish on the grill

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the technique I use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlK-za2JZqg

Sometimes in a kettle, sometimes in a pit barrel, depending on what I want to fire up. When you wrap them, you can just toss them in the oven to finish if you like since the butcher paper blocks the smoke anyway. Or if you want to keep the heat outside and your house cool, leave em out there.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried the oven to kettle method and it worked great

The taste was great, unfortunately since it was my first time, I left them on the grill too long and they were a bit dry

Next time I'll do better

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 4:15:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Slow and sear was a game changer for ribs on my kettle.  Also, get you another thermometer and install it below the handle where the top vent is, you can get a better accurate temp when doing offset.

I barely crack the vent on the bottom and regulate the temp with the top vent.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Indirect heat for a couple hour add some apple wood chips at the beginning. Attachment Attached File

You will know when they are ready to sauce when the meat begins to pull back on the bone. Then go to direct heat to caramelize the sauce.

Takes 2 1/2-3 hours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top