Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2019 12:24:25 PM EDT
So I scanned through the old sticky on a coolerdor and it was difficult with all of the photobucket fuckery.  Please excuse me for not digging deeper into that mess.

But I have what I consider a very historical box that currently houses an old electronic switch panel that controlled the microphones for the SC House of Representatives back around 1998.  It's a really nice box, about 16" X 12" and about 8" tall and is hinged and split almost in the middle with an angle cut on the opening halves.
No shit, I've cared for this box for over 20 years now trying to figure out what to do with it.

Son wants me to build him a bar and he asked for a humidor.  BINGO!! I have the box.  Doing some light reading, from what I can tell I just need to be able to have a tight seal between the lid and the bottom and line it with Spanish Cedar and then install the humidity gauge and a source for the humidity?  
I found Spanish Cedar on line, anyone got links for the other devices needed?  The old coolerdor thread has dead links in it.

I'll follow up with some pics of what I'm working with.  FWIW, I have all the woodworking tools and skills, so making a liner and a top tray is not an issue.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a cool project. Check out the "large custom cigar humidors" section in the Shop area of my site. You'll find some good info and examples of converting old wood boxes into humidors (I use vintage military wood crates...but a box is a box). Let me know if you have any questions or need help sourcing any materials. Good luck with the build!

https://www.ammodors.com/category/large-cigar-humidors/
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much as you stated.  Main thing will be sealing the lid when closed.  For humidity, would suggest a 65gram Boveda.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top