Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2019 1:18:42 PM EDT
I know I could look this up eventually, but I'm new to this and would like to hear other people's opinions and experience.

After messing around w/ my printer the last couple of nights I'm finding that I need to have a computer near it to deal w/ the card and gcode files.  I know I've read about various methods of controlling the 3d printers from different computers including a Raspberry Pi.   I'm probably going to put a NUC running Ubuntu w/ a full size monitor on the same desk as my printer.    What options does that open up for me connecting to the printer?
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I like Repetier! (coupled with a pi4) Lots of cool features!
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That's the kind of info I am looking for.  I'm going to start w/ the NUC on the desk next to it.  That gives me a SD slot to put files on the card and a computer which can run Cura which I've got on it.  I'll keep reading up on what my options are.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:51:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would personally go OctoPi.

For $50, your setup with a 3B+, power supply and cable. Add $30 for webcam. Then use whatever computer you want, wherever you want to interface over your network. This is my exact setup. You could get fancy later and have the Pi control a solid state relay for the main power supply and completely turn off your printer and Pi after a print is done (or whenever you want to remotely). A very simply added button on the Pi natively acts as a "wake up" button when its idle to turn it all on.

Between that and the machine interface, you should be GTG.
View Quote
I've got a Pi floating around.  I've got cams for them.    I'm just not sure yet what it gives me over a normal PC sitting there.  I'm asking what feel like stupid questions because I know how little I know about this.   I can (and probably will) plug the printer into a Wyze outlet which I can turn on or off from anywhere. I may decide to do that.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've got a Pi floating around.  I've got cams for them.    I'm just not sure yet what it gives me over a normal PC sitting there.  I'm asking what feel like stupid questions because I know how little I know about this.   I can (and probably will) plug the printer into a Wyze outlet which I can turn on or off from anywhere. I may decide to do that.
View Quote
With OctoPrint/OctoPi you can watch prints, change settings or control the printer from your phone on the comfort of your couch. Conveniently watch your prints fail from anywhere!
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
With OctoPrint/OctoPi you can watch prints, change settings or control the printer from your phone on the comfort of your couch. Conveniently watch your prints fail from anywhere!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can already watch the prints fail from the comfort of my couch.  One of the first things I did before I even printed my first project was to point a Wyze camera at it.  I'm probably going to print a mount for it at some point here.

The rest of that tempts me, but I'm reading I can add the octoprint stuff to an Ubuntu install on a normal PC fairly easily.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top