Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2021 5:19:32 PM EDT
To start I have my own Electrical contracting business.  We are small but efficient and do just enough work to keep some people employed.    I was sent a text today from one of my suppliers that they are going to start having to do allotments on certain materials such as PVC conduit and Romex.    The Romex does not affect me as we dont fuck with houses but we use a decent amount of PVC conduit now and then along with rigid and plastic coated rigid.    My old estimator is working up North somewhere and said that they have been cut to only being able to purchase in numbers to match the last 12 months use or something along those lines.  

HAs  else in the other trades such as plumbers ran into this yet?
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m part of a group that my supply house only sells certain things to that are hard to get or prices are going up as they bought a crap load at a certain price. But it won’t last forever  and I have a huge amount of work.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Shortages are hitting every industry. The foundries we get castings from cant get enough raw materials to meet our demand, so we cant provide enough product to meet our customers demand. Also starting to see longer and longer lead times on bearings.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#3]
No, just massive price increases due to shortage of cement from normal supply chains.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, just massive price increases due to shortage of cement from normal supply chains.
View Quote

I'm curious about year over year for you on cement? I've heard this, can you quantify it?
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I am not a contractor or tradesman of any type.  I just live in an area where they dont give a shit about permits so I try to do it all myself.

I have had problems locating PVC of various sizes in any decent amounts, shortage of Romex from the two hardware stores I shop at and the lumber yards are short on lots of wood material.

I tried to place an order with a local lumber yard that I have done business with for the past 14 years and the owner told me not to hold my breath on any of it arriving.  

He said he has a generator order placed with a manufacturer thats over 2 years old and they told him they had no timeline on when they would be able to fill the order.

Edit to say I did hire a plumber this fall to install some black gas pipe and wall heaters.  He had a hell of time sourcing enough pipe and supplies.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]
My framers are telling me they are seeing $95 sheets of 3/4” osb now...I hear a lot of projects are going into a holding pattern until prices come down....89 stud is now $3...
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess you missed the post almost 4 weeks ago now that there is a copper shortage and everything electrical would most likely have major supply chain issues.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My framers are telling me they are seeing $95 sheets of 3/4” osb now...I hear a lot of projects are going into a holding pattern until prices come down....89 stud is now $3...
View Quote

Even though I have many starts I am waiting for this to happen. The corporations(material) are choking construction. Maybe a good idea to let material inventory build up. Who knows.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I guess you missed the post almost 4 weeks ago now that there is a copper shortage and everything electrical would most likely have major supply chain issues.
View Quote

I promise you I didn't miss it but we are not talking about a copper shortage here..  

Hell I can order any kind of wire I want in almost any qnty except for Romex.   It goes down to the yellow jacket and the materials needed to make that.   The same same thing with PVC conduit.  It has been an issue for several months IE I bid a job with 20k feet of it a while back and the lead time was 6-8 weeks.   Its a resin issue which is also related to the post around here last week about truck production coming to a halt due to issues getting the plastics needed to produce a bunch of shit.

My point is up till recent days no one has gone to an allotment system.  The past the price was just raised and raised like you are seeing with plywood and wood products.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep.

The past 10 months or so have been an absolute shit show with regard to materials availability and pricing.  And... LABOR (thanks UEI/ Covid bonus for giving piece workers and low wage folks a raise).

Started off with the entire East Coast PT lumber stock disappearing, to absolutely retarded pricing that continue today on just about everything needed to build anything, then the whole circuit breakers being unobtanium ordeal, next was cabinets, windows, doors and siding doubling their lead time on to appliances coming whenever they get there (someday, maybe) and now rationing on pvc, conduit, romex and some common solid and strandeds (THHN) among a bunch of other stuff as well.  Of course scheduling and delivery dates mean jack and shit to pretty much everyone, nobody commits to anything, and unless you can put your hands on it physically, don’t count on it as being yours.  All on top of pricing doubling or tripling (or more!) on damn near everything.

Fun times.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yep.

The past 10 months or so have been an absolute shit show with regard to materials availability and pricing.  And... LABOR (thanks UEI/ Covid bonus for giving piece workers and low wage folks a raise).

Started off with the entire East Coast PT lumber stock disappearing, to absolutely retarded pricing that continue today on just about everything needed to build anything, then the whole circuit breakers being unobtanium ordeal, next was windows, doors and siding doubling their lead time on to appliances coming whenever they get there (someday, maybe) and now rationing on pvc, conduit, romex and some common solid and strandeds (THHN) among a bunch of other stuff as well.  Of course scheduling and delivery dates mean jack and shit to pretty much everyone, nobody commits to anything, and unless you can put your hands on it physically, don’t count on it as being yours.  All on top of pricing doubling or tripling (or more!) on damn near everything.

Fun times.
View Quote

I ran into the breaker issues near the end of last year.  I had an entire gearset for an ISD project held up almost 3 months.   It became a shitshow because LD's were being discussed due to us not being able to finish the project until the gear rolled in.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Plumber here. Charlotte Pipe sent out emails saying PVC is going up like 12%. The supply house is limiting what you can buy before the price increase so they dont get wiped out and there isn't a supply anymore. They are limiting it to your monthly average of pipe.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Not to mention appliances, water heaters and the like...I’m having to install door frames with no slabs just to keep siding going which sucks...but getting truck loads of siding on a constant delivery basis is questionable...even with assurances from suppliers...I’m actually ahead of schedule right  now but am fearing delays due to basically everything!!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I am a Manufactured Home dealer.  Our pricing is increased almost every week, with no end in sight.  The factory invoice is now what I was retailing the homes for five years ago.
Back log is so far out we are a year for the orders I have place in the last month to be built.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm curious about year over year for you on cement? I've heard this, can you quantify it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price increases?

Depends on the location.

Last year my base price per yard on 4000psi was 135. Closest plant to me this year is 148, next few plants out are 158, Rochester area is 170.

So between 9-25% on my base price this year over last year. Usually it's under 5%. Fiber is also up from $8 to $10/yard

That's in addition to new surcharges. They increased the short load minimum to 5 yards, so an order under that comes with an additional $100 surcharge, plus a $50 fuel charge if their cost goes above $4/gallon.

And just because, they tacked on a $100 clean out fee if you add color to the truck, unless you buy their color, which costs twice as much and isn't as good as the stuff I get from my decorative concrete supplier.

I haven't gotten pricing from the other supplier I use (they were a pain to deal with last year so I barely used them), but I've heard they are even higher.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I ran into the breaker issues near the end of last year.  I had an entire gearset for an ISD project held up almost 3 months.   It became a shitshow because LD's were being discussed due to us not being able to finish the project until the gear rolled in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

Started off with the entire East Coast PT lumber stock disappearing, to absolutely retarded pricing that continue today on just about everything needed to build anything, then the whole circuit breakers being unobtanium ordeal, next was windows, doors and siding doubling their lead time on to appliances coming whenever they get there (someday, maybe) and now rationing on pvc, conduit, romex and some common solid and strandeds (THHN) among a bunch of other stuff as well.  Of course scheduling and delivery dates mean jack and shit to pretty much everyone, nobody commits to anything, and unless you can put your hands on it physically, don’t count on it as being yours.  All on top of pricing doubling or tripling (or more!) on damn near everything.

Fun times.

Damn.  Yeah, these shortages, rationing and price hikes have been doing a number on everyone.  

Speaking of LD’s and (contracts that basically erased margins) - there’s gonna be a slew of all kinds of clauses being added to future contracts and subcontracts because of what’s happened the past year.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Price increases?

Depends on the location.

Last year my base price per yard on 4000psi was 135. Closest plant to me this year is 148, next few plants out are 158, Rochester area is 170.

So between 9-25% on my base price this year over last year. Usually it's under 5%. Fiber is also up from $8 to $10/yard

That's in addition to new surcharges. They increased the short load minimum to 5 yards, so an order under that comes with an additional $100 surcharge, plus a $50 fuel charge if their cost goes above $4/gallon.

And just because, they tacked on a $100 clean out fee if you add color to the truck, unless you buy their color, which costs twice as much and isn't as good as the stuff I get from my decorative concrete supplier.

I haven't gotten pricing from the other supplier I use (they were a pain to deal with last year so I barely used them), but I've heard they are even higher.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price increases?

Depends on the location.

Geez.  I had a stamped patio put in last year and I built a fairly large pergola on it.  Luckily prices hadn't really increased around here yet.  Can't imagine how much more that project would have cost me today.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Geez.  I had a stamped patio put in last year and I built a fairly large pergola on it.  Luckily prices hadn't really increased around here yet.  Can't imagine how much more that project would have cost me today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price increases?

Depends on the location.

I've been looking at having a pad poured. Your numbers seem to confirm what the guy near me told me. He's maxed out even with high material costs because he can't get labour.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#19]
The Texas freeze shut down multiple large PVC plants, I think the supply chain had enough to carry wholesale/retail to this point.  They have all been back running for some time though, so it will catch up eventually.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price increases?

Depends on the location.

I increased my plain flatwork prices by $1/sq ft this year. 4" thick without any dig out or prep costs I'm usually $5/sq ft, so a 20% increase.

To put it into perspective though, I just sold a stone job at $20/sq ft that would have been $15/sq ft last year.

I've basically gone up 20% minimum on everything to keep up with everything else.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I sell lumber, electrical and plumbing supplies to contractors.

Its nuts right now, materials are increasing almost daily now.

I have had limits placed on what I can and cant sell, and today found out some PT lumber is no longer available until early summer. Damn its going to hurt a lot of folks.

One home builder sad he finished a house and had to pay $8500 out of his pocket to finish due to the rising costs of materials. He said one or two more of those I am closing my doors

A roofer I sell to who blows thru material like its water, paid out his ass for 7/16 osb, he told me, I should have listened when you were trying to get me to order a few truck loads months ago.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've been looking at having a pad poured. Your numbers seem to confirm what the guy near me told me. He's maxed out even with high material costs because he can't get labour.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price increases?

Depends on the location.

I know a lot of contractors hurting for helpers. All the skilled guys are working somewhere already, the unskilled help (which is vital) is nowhere to be found.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Breakers, HVAC units, kitchen appliances, washer dryers and water heaters here. We are being told “ no promises “ here on out.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#24]
There's a PVC resin shortage.  Some of it is blamed on the shut-down of production during the deep freeze in Texas.  Others claim some of the shortage on other countries buying the resin.  

PVC pipe suppliers are telling contractors and engineers that they may not be able to get water main and sewer main PVC pipe later this summer.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have had limits placed on what I can and cant sell, and today found out some PT lumber is no longer available until early summer. Damn its going to hurt a lot of folks.

One home builder sad he finished a house and had to pay $8500 out of his pocket to finish due to the rising costs of materials. He said one or two more of those I am closing my doors

A roofer I sell to who blows thru material like its water, paid out his ass for 7/16 osb, he told me, I should have listened when you were trying to get me to order a few truck loads months ago.
View Quote

Yeah, it’s ridiculous right now.

PR can be scarce, but I haven’t seen it disappear yet like it did last summer.  Fucking hell, hope I don’t have to deal with that again.  Full framing package sitting on a lot, constantly pushing out framers schedules all because we’re waiting on 1500 LF of sill plate.

And, for the first time ever - I pretty much broke even on a project.  Made a tiny bit, but still...
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I know a lot of contractors hurting for helpers. All the skilled guys are working somewhere already, the unskilled help (which is vital) is nowhere to be found.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price increases?

Depends on the location.

100%

Labor is impossible to find.  For many, unemployment + covid kicker ($3-600/wk) was paying piece workers and general laborers $50k per year to sit on their asses.  Hell, even the 7-11 crew has all but disappeared, and the ones that haven’t, their daily has gone from $100-150 up to $175-200.

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Electrical/low voltage contractor here too. No I haven’t been contacted by my normal supply houses about allotments yet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

100%

Labor is impossible to find.  For many, unemployment + covid kicker ($3-600/wk) was paying piece workers and general laborers $50k per year to sit on their asses.  Hell, even the 7-11 crew has all but disappeared, and the ones that haven’t, their daily has gone from $100-150 up to $175-200.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price increases?

Depends on the location.

100%

I was talking to the local UPS driver at the store yesterday.

He said they are hurting too. Starting pay at 18 years old and green as grass is 40 grand, with good potential to grow, but they can't fill slots. They are offering cash bonuses to employees that refer applicants that are hireable.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He said they are hurting too. Starting pay at 18 years old and green as grass is 40 grand, with good potential to grow, but they can't fill slots. They are offering cash bonuses to employees that refer applicants that are hireable.
View Quote

Interesting I had always heard it was difficult to get hired as a full time driver for them.  Also $40k/yr to work 50hr weeks, have drug tests, DOT physical, not flexible hours etc sounds like a PITA for not a lot of money.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Interesting I had always heard it was difficult to get hired as a full time driver for them.  Also $40k/yr to work 50hr weeks, have drug tests, DOT physical, not flexible hours etc sounds like a PITA for not a lot of money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To start sure it sucks. I think they are hourly too, so it would be OT territory over 40 hours.

I doubt you would find that at too many places with no experience though, driving is probably better than laboring.

From what I've been told too, once you have been there a few years you can really start doing pretty well.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

To start sure it sucks. I think they are hourly too, so it would be OT territory over 40 hours.

I doubt you would find that at too many places with no experience though, driving is probably better than laboring.

From what I've been told too, once you have been there a few years you can really start doing pretty well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The # I always heard thrown around was $80k a year.  Which is why people wanted those jobs.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The # I always heard thrown around was $80k a year.  Which is why people wanted those jobs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy on our route said he hates it, but they pay him too good for him to want to quit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Shingles, OSB shortages & price gouging. All a bunch of BS really. Shingle manufacturers complaining that govt. $ is making factory workers stay home.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Price increases have not affected our construction companies- we own 2- at all
We are booked into 2022
We are small, with selected clients, so we’re insulated to a degree from other companies who haven’t been around as long, or as agile as we are in adapting to changing market forces

We could grow, but we choose not to

No skilled workers anyway
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#35]
We got that notice from suppliers too.  They're even talking about rationing EMT conduit and fittings.  Lead times on all kinds of components are getting pushed way out.  Allen Bradley VFDs are allegedly running 8 weeks now with local distributors having huge backorder lists instead of the usual piles on the shelf.
Basically anything you need had better be on your own shelf when you need it or you're gonna be waiting a while.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#36]
8-16 weeks for shingles not in the yard. OSB roof top delivered is over 60 a sheet. Looking at 25% increases from what I saw today in the supply house. Going to be an interesting summer as a roofer
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:44:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

PR can be scarce, but I haven’t seen it disappear yet like it did last summer.  Fucking hell, hope I don’t have to deal with that again.  Full framing package sitting on a lot, constantly pushing out framers schedules all because we’re waiting on 1500 LF of sill plate.

And, for the first time ever - I pretty much broke even on a project.  Made a tiny bit, but still...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LVL beams are out as well. I had a customer needing a dozen 40ft long, thats when I found out they can not be ordered at this time. Reason I was told was raw material shortage and a resin shortage.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:41:58 AM EDT
[#38]
we went to get 4 sticks of 6" sewer pipe the other day, and they didnt have.  so i bought a pallet of solid and a pallet of perforated soon as was available.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:08:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Yes.
My electrical supplier sent me a letter from their PVC supplier that said they could order 1/24 per month of what they ordered in total last year.
Another dealer I was told will only sell to you what you bought last year.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:25:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

No reference to DRIVERS for that pay. That is for loaders. Drivers start at a (much) higher rate.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:48:26 AM EDT
[#41]
My contact in the paint manufacturing industry said last week that builders are panic buying paint. Some paints and coatings are unobtainium and buyers are grabbing whatever they can to finish jobs. The local plant could run 24/7 to fill their exploding orders books but they can't find enough workers to do so. Other plants within the company are on temporary shutdowns due to lack of raw materials. One of the suppliers of raw material they use had an explosion and that facility is DOA.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#42]
I am having my roof replaced, the contractor had to wait over two months to get all the materials needed and the price was up $2,000 over last year.
I have other things to do to my home but I am considering putting a hold on everything until prices settle down.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#43]
None yet. Just longer lead times and higher prices. We build industrial facilities , from foundations, steel framing, piping, process machinery, to sheeting
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top