Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/24/2021 10:27:23 PM EDT
I'm older than 40 and younger than 50. Any tips? Any older guys do this? Experiences? Chicks?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Why? Do as much as you can online.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Retired at 49 and went back... Almost retired again...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why? Do as much as you can online.
View Quote

For the chicks. Duh!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m 38 and went back at 31 to finish my bachelors. I finish my masters degree in 6 weeks.

Going back to school was the best decision I’ve ever made.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Couple hundred k in student loan debt at that age?
It'd never get paid back.

Hhhmmm
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Yoga pants are appreciated by the professors since they make your ass look great.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I did it at 35, finish my bachelors in 6 months or so. It took a min to get into the swing of things. I’m doing online as being an adult with a family doesn’t bode well for in person instruction. Main reason is I’m ready for a career change. Hopefully it works out, worst case I did something I put my mind to.
ETA, paying for all of it out of pocket. No debt.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#9]
McD's, Wally, and the Bell are going to be paying $15/hour soon,

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw a documentary about this

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
ROI

Cost of school vice pay of projected career.

Might be better to go-to a trade school.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:56:07 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I heard chicks are more into anal these days so thats a plus
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hhhmmm
View Quote

Nah. Out of pocket.
Quoted:
I did it at 35, finish my bachelors in 6 months or so. It took a min to get into the swing of things. I’m doing online as being an adult with a family doesn’t bode well for in person instruction. Main reason is I’m ready for a career change. Hopefully it works out, worst case I did something I put my mind to.
ETA, paying for all of it out of pocket. No debt.
View Quote

Career change is why I'm interested as well. Thanks.
View Quote

LOL!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
ROI

Cost of school vice pay of projected career.

Might be better to go-to a trade school.
View Quote

I have considered that as well. Just weighing my options with some feedback.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I assume you don't have kids that go to college / university. If you feel you really want to do it and burn the cash go for it :-)
If you work in any admin job (HR, Finance, IT)  and you add a bachelor or even a master in the same discipline it doesn't do anything for your compensation.
Much more interesting option is to work for a company that pays for your college or MBA (evening, weekends, ...)

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#17]
As someone about to graduate college, prepare for some culture shock
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#18]
well what do you want to go to school for is the real question.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As someone about to graduate college, prepare for some culture shock
View Quote

Ain't that the truth
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As a general rule, the older guys tend to have their shit together, be more serious, and be much better at time management.

If you decide to do it, it will probably be pretty easy for you.  
View Quote

I went back to college in 2018 at 44 years old. I'm wrapping up my bachelors of Health Care Administration in May and starting on my BSN in the fall.

Looking back, there weren't really any hard classes for me. I took all the prerequisite classes for BSN on this degree since they were in line with my major. Even those classes weren't that hard. The only classes I was really concerned about were Algebra and Microbiology, but I breezed through those with no problems.

If you have benefits with the VA or your Post 911 GI Bill, I'd recommend you do it. Don't leave any money on the table. I didn't need the money, but the monthly stipend has allowed me to put back some serious cash in savings and buy myself some cool toys.

I am very fortunate to have a job that I can set my schedule to allow me the time I need to attend classes. I work 12hr shifts Friday thru Sunday and an 8hr shift every other Monday. Tuesdays thru Thursdays I'm able to devote to school.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I went to college after high school. That sucked and I was a terrible student and it showed. total waste of time and money.

I returned to college after some growing up, some life experiences and some military time. It was the best freaking time of my life and I excelled as a student and loved the material.

One day I'm going back for at least a masters, possibly a PHD once I'm old and too broken to make my living by selling my body.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I assume you don't have kids that go to college / university. If you feel you really want to do it and burn the cash go for it :-)
If you work in any admin job (HR, Finance, IT)  and you add a bachelor or even a master in the same discipline it doesn't do anything for your compensation.
Much more interesting option is to work for a company that pays for your college or MBA (evening, weekends, ...)

View Quote

I have a kid, but she's five. I feel like I'm too old for an apprenticeship in a trade. Maybe not. I dunno.
Quoted:
well what do you want to go to school for is the real question.
View Quote

Keep laughing fags, but I was thinking about being a nurse.
Quoted:

I went back to college in 2018 at 44 years old. I'm wrapping up my bachelors of Health Care Administration in May and starting on my BSN in the fall.

Looking back, there weren't really any hard classes for me. I took all the prerequisite classes for BSN on this degree since they were in line with my major. Even those classes weren't that hard. The only classes I was really concerned about were Algebra and Microbiology, but I breezed through those with no problems.

If you have benefits with the VA or your Post 911 GI Bill, I'd recommend you do it. Don't leave any money on the table. I didn't need the money, but the monthly stipend has allowed me to put back some serious cash in savings and buy myself some cool toys.

I am very fortunate to have a job that I can set my schedule to allow me the time I need to attend classes. I work 12hr shifts Friday thru Sunday and an 8hr shift every other Monday. Tuesdays thru Thursdays I'm able to devote to school.

View Quote

Thank you.

On another note, making threads asking questions gives me anxiety; because I feel I should respond to people's input. If I don't respond, fuck you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I went to college after high school. That sucked and I was a terrible student and it showed. total waste of time and money.

I returned to college after some growing up, some life experiences and some military time. It was the best freaking time of my life and I excelled as a student and loved the material.

One day I'm going back for at least a masters, possibly a PHD once I'm old and too broken to make my living by selling my body.
View Quote

This is where I'm at. I started college right after high school and I was unprepared. Quit, got into law enforcement quickly thereafter and now I'm done with it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I went back at 36.

What are you considering for a major? How much credit do you already have, and much do you have left? Are you going part time or full time? What school?

If you don't already have your general education requirements done, take them at a community college. It's cheaper, and in a lot of cases you'll find that the lower-level courses are actually better taught in junior colleges than in large institutions.

Chances are, it will be much easier than when you were a kid. As an adult, you have probably learned to manage your time, stress, and competing responsibilities. Just that makes it remarkably easier.

On top of that, technology has changed so much in the past 20 years that it is objectively easier to be a student.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:14:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I got my bs in business at 25. I’m back in now for a nursing degree. Go for it you only live once
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Do it. Will be the time of your life and you will be an object to young females - they will get wet from you with all your middle-aged idiosyncrasies and fallibility. Go big though, college girls are size queens, the very idea of a voluminous peen sends them into spiritual rapture. So emphasize this, either through very tight jeans, or if needed, stuff a tightly-rolled old t-shirt down there. it doesn't matter how, just emphasize the gondola, as we call it in the size community. it won't matter what you say, you will be able to spout-off all your borderline boomer tropes and gibberish without repercussion. As an older man, you will inevitablly accidentally chit yourself in class at some point, we all do it. But if you are "Flexing the Gondola," as we say, they won't care....chit your pants, wax borderline racist rhetoric, talk about voting machines, wear your Glock tutleneck, whatever you want. They will be so distracted by the prodigous older man in their vicinity, you will fly above all the social justice-Marxist- anti-American gibberish they spew.

Pro Tip: When you are sitting across from them talking, subtly use your hands to form a square or diamond and rest it upon your stack. There is a reason artists frame their work, it draws the eye in. Anytime you are talking to any woman, you should be framing YOUR art. Make her fight the stare. Make her get neck and jaw spasms from craning a peak as you wave to Mr. Egerton, your English Lit professor across the Quad. "Always be framing" as my Grandfather used to say. Just be subtle but efficient. For example, anytime I leave a restroom, i get a paper towel on exit I start patting and wiping my crotchal-proud, as we call it. Every woman within 37 feet of the bathroom door will immediately find themselves gazing at the art. Go to college, frame it, get drunk with a homely gal, prosper.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Do it, I went back after dropping out 10 years ago. I’ll finish this fall with my bachelors in supervision and management and since going back to school I’ve gotten 2 promotions just from that. Totally worth it to me. I’m early thirties and I was a C and D student the first time around and I’ve made straight A’s since going back because it literally is that easy. Once I grew up it was no problem.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm in software engineering, which I suppose could, under broad definitions, fall under IT.

I don't currently have a degree. I am working towards one right now. I will get a guaranteed 12% raise from my company upon graduation. They're also paying for school.

Sure doesn't feel like it won't do anything for my compensation.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:26:05 PM EDT
[#29]

I went back at 42 with a wife and 3 kids to Physician Assistant school I'm now 63.  Just make sure the time and effort are worth the reward either monetarily or satisfaction, hopefully both. And trade school is a good option. Medical field is great but it will burn you out.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Do it. Will be the time of your life and you will be an object to young females - they will get wet from you with all your middle-aged idiosyncrasies and fallibility. Go big though, college girls are size queens, the very idea of a voluminous peen sends them into spiritual rapture. So emphasize this, either through very tight jeans, or if needed, stuff a tightly-rolled old t-shirt down there. it doesn't matter how, just emphasize the gondola, as we call it in the size community. it won't matter what you say, you will be able to spout-off all your borderline boomer tropes and gibberish without repercussion. As an older man, you will inevitablly accidentally chit yourself in class at some point, we all do it. But if you are "Flexing the Gondola," as we say, they won't care....chit your pants, wax borderline racist rhetoric, talk about voting machines, wear your Glock tutleneck, whatever you want. They will be so distracted by the prodigous older man in their vicinity, you will fly above all the social justice-Marxist- anti-American gibberish they spew.

Pro Tip: When you are sitting across from them talking, subtly use your hands to form a square or diamond and rest it upon your stack. There is a reason artists frame their work, it draws the eye in. Anytime you are talking to any woman, you should be framing YOUR art. Make her fight the stare. Make her get neck and jaw spasms from craning a peak as you wave to Mr. Egerton, your English Lit professor across the Quad. "Always be framing" as my Grandfather used to say. Just be subtle but efficient. For example, anytime I leave a restroom, i get a paper towel on exit I start patting and wiping my crotchal-proud, as we call it. Every woman within 37 feet of the bathroom door will immediately find themselves gazing at the art. Go to college, frame it, get drunk with a homely gal, prosper.
View Quote

And a new copypasta is born!

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:26:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh, never mind. I didn't notice it was our resident shitposter. Kthnxbai.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Did you enjoy working with and taking care of the homeless and degenerates while in LE?

Hopefully you said yes because your going to be wiping their asses and bringing them diet cokes as an RN.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:30:24 PM EDT
[#33]
If you follow some of the advice posted it probably makes perfect sense assuming your career path has a real ROI at the end of it.

That being said, right now isn't everything online due to CoV? That would personally make me put my decision off until things normalize
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:33:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Did you enjoy working with and taking care of the homeless and degenerates while in LE?

Hopefully you said yes because your going to be wiping their asses and bringing them diet cokes as an RN.
View Quote

Hells yeah! Highlight of my day. If I can wipe my ass, I can wipe any ass.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you follow some of the advice posted it probably makes perfect sense assuming your career path has a real ROI at the end of it.

That being said, right now isn't everything online due to CoV? That would personally make me put my decision off until things normalize
View Quote

Something I haven't even thought about while considering all this. I reckon I wouldn't be a good fit for online learning. Not because of some deficiency, just feel I need to be in a classroom. I wonder how that would work with a trade school. I don't know what the colleges are like, but my kid has been back in the classroom since school started. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:40:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Always be framing"Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Collage is for loosers...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:44:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I saw a documentary about this

View Quote

The triple lindy!...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:47:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Collage is for loosers...
View Quote

What you did there, I see it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:48:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Hhhmmm
View Quote

Absolutely! We all have a duty to help burn it down as soon as possible! Take advantage of every benefit offered, no matter how ridiculous or whether you need it!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Did my BA at night classes after working a full time job for years from age 25-30ish. The other students thought I was old even then. 40-50s? Yeah, you aren't gonna have a place in the college babe scene like on Pornhub so fugettaboutit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Clown college or fake college or real university?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#43]
don't raise your hand and mention life experiences ever, please

please don't do it

but in all cereal you're probably finna matriculate into a program with 90%+ women, as nursing is dominated by them

just find one with BPD and enjoy
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:08:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
As a general rule, the older guys tend to have their shit together, be more serious, and be much better at time management.

If you decide to do it, it will probably be pretty easy for you.  
View Quote

Also, the course work in the humanities has gotten much easier. The trick is surviving the overt SJW bs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:09:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I knew you were into butt stuff

I am currently working on my last 2 classes.  As a working adult, let me tell you IT FUCKING SUCKS!  

Cons:
  • You will have to give up a lot of your free leisure time with friends and family.
  • Taking College Math courses 20 years after graduating high school sucks
  • I'm asshole and elbow deep in student loan debt
  • SJW Breeding Center - Expect the campus emails looking for Volunteers to be a Trans Advocate
  • Liberal Professors (He, She, They Fuck-all)
  • Seeing smoking hot 22YO classmate tail, then realizing you are old enough to be their Dad (then you start feeling like a perv)

Pros:
  • I do 100% Online
  • I can drink while doing coursework
  • Kid are so fucking dumb now, that they can't even write a basic discussion board response, which makes you feel like you're really fucking smart
  • Hoping this degree helps elevate my career for future potential.  I'm tired of making 50K
  • Sense of accomplishment - knowing that despite how fucking hard it was, I DID IT!  and I succeeded.  (Provided I pass this last fucking Calculus class)

I'm sure there's more, I'm just ready to be done.  My biggest fear is going through all of this, investing this much time and money into getting this degree, then not getting hired by prospective employers due to my age....This, I really struggle with.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do it. There's a lot of good money in nursing. GD has a ton of male nurses.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:17:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Thank you everybody for all your responses. I fucking hate and love you all equally. I should have posted this in Team; but I'm a glutton for punishment. Bitches.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:19:27 AM EDT
[#48]
I was 40 when I finally graduated.  It wasn't any easier the 2nd time around, but this time I had a reason to finish.

The chicks were young enough to be my daughters.  Good looking, distracting, but very little in common.

What part of the medical field you want to work in, OP?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm  facing the same decision.   Without a bachelor's I am hitting a ceiling.   With a bachelor's I can see about a 15% pay bump if I can promote.

I really don't want to go back to school though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:25:54 AM EDT
[#50]
I am also considering saying f-it on an upper management job and going to nursing school.  

I can legit work full time at both jobs.  But I'd get murdered on taxes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top