Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2018 2:16:19 PM EDT
Does pizza dough freeze well? I would divvy it up into rounds big enough for small pies (12"). Want a pizza in the evening? Toss one in the fridge or on the counter in the morning before leaving for work.

ETA: Pioneer Woman says "yes":

https://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/how-to-make-and-freeze-pizza-dough/
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're gonna be using it within a few days, just leave the bagged dough balls in the fridge. They'll actually slow proof and develop even more flavor.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I make mine fresh because I prefer the way it tastes / rises.  Yes you can freeze it and use it later.  How good it is depends on what your OK with.  If I am making home made pizza then I want it to be excellent so I don't settle for a frozen dough ball I made a week or two ago.

Best thing you can do is  get your recipe down. Then try freezing a few to see how it keeps.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Freezing works.  Do it all the time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Pizza dough keeps well sealed up in a bag in the refrigerator. At least a week to 10 days. Worse case....you have sour dough crust.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Freezing works.  Do it all the time.
View Quote
Sometimes from being frozen for a while the dough seems thicker once I finally use it.   Not a huge difference, jurst a little harder to work.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried freezing it, it worked.

But had a thicker skin than I’d have liked. The dough was also a lot more elastic than usual.

I’m sticking with 3day fridge dough.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#7]
As long as you're on her page, grab her Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe.

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/chicken-tortilla-soup/

It's amazingly good.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not a fan of freezing dough balls. Never had good luck with the way it stretched and cooked after being frozen.

I prefer to stretch and par-bake crusts, then freeze them. This gets me closer to "easy food" for those nights I don't want to cook. IE, pre-made bagged pizza ingredients in the freezer, grab a crust, grab toppings I want and let thaw for half hour. Make pizza, pop in oven like I would a store-bought frozen pizza, then remove and enjoy homemade pizza nearly as fast and mess-free as frozen.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#9]
My dad does that recipe too. The results are really good. He usually gives me a couple frozen ones whenever I go over there.

I personally cheat. Jiffy brand just add water type crust. I usually use two boxes for a regular sized pizza. Your local grocery stores probably sell it for 79 or 89 cents a box.

It makes really good breadsticks too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top