Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/20/2019 8:02:45 AM EDT
Headed down for a long weekend soon.

Just read the rules, ok, skimmed the rules. 52 pages.

Can’t carry in a bar.

Kinda rules out half the city, no?

And the permitting process?

Oy vey!
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#1]
They recognize Georgia carry permits
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#2]
You want to carry in N.O. New Orleans is one of the top 50 cities in the entire world for murders per capita. I think the are #4 in the US. It is not for a lack of trying. There is a reason why the first 48 films in New Orleans
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to live in Louisiana, and I would definitely recommend carrying in New Orleans-especially if you are out and about after dark.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Concealed means concealed
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Meh, just be prepared to pee on your attacker.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got back from a week there...

CARRY.

EVERYWHERE.

Be highly suspicious of anyone approaching you and engaging in conversation.  If they are talking to you, they want something from you. Money, clothes, valuables, etc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I’d imagine the rules aren’t much different from the rest of Louisiana, but I could be mistaken.

As others have said, I wouldn’t even casually glance down the road in the direction of New Orleans without a double stack automatic on me. Think about a braced AR slung up under a trench coat.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’d imagine the rules aren’t much different from the rest of Louisiana, but I could be mistaken.

As others have said, I wouldn’t even casually glance down the road in the direction of New Orleans without a double stack automatic on me. Think about a braced AR slung up under a trench coat.
View Quote
Last time I was driving in New Orleans I made sure that the windows were up, the doors were locked, and the Glock went from the holster to under my thigh until we were back on the freeway at 70 mph.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve from LA and have been to Nola 50+ times. If you don’t go to the wrong area, you are fine. There are rarely issues in the tourist areas, and cops are aplenty there.

That said, carry when traveling but do not carry if you are going to drink. The cops don’t play with drinking and CCW and you are likely to get pulled aside just for being in the general direction of a drunk ahole that gets the cops attention. I’ve seen it several times. I even saw a guy get arrested for a concealed knife while drinking
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#10]
You staying in Nola or in the burbs?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want any chance of blending in as a local, don't call it "Nawlins"
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#12]
In New Orleans, the bars are exactly the areas you want to carry in.

Is it Canal St where all the local shit goes down? It's a weird town. I've seen cops in restaurants working security do some really weird shit, open air drug sales in the middle of the day on Jackson Square. And mind you, I've only been there a handful of times for a day or two. And seriously, the women are out there, trying to engage you in some sort of something that I didn't want any part of. I was literally followed by two young girls in an SUV for half a block who wouldn't leave me alone. I finally cut down a street that didn't allow car traffic to get away from them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#14]
This is exactly why pocket pistols were invented.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Is it Canal St where all the local shit goes down? It's a weird town. I've seen cops in restaurants working security do some really weird shit, open air drug sales in the middle of the day on Jackson Square. And mind you, I've only been there a handful of times for a day or two. And seriously, the women are out there, trying to engage you in some sort of something that I didn't want any part of. I was literally followed by two young girls in an SUV for half a block who wouldn't leave me alone. I finally cut down a street that didn't allow car traffic to get away from them.
View Quote
Not Canal St....Ferret St is where the real party at

Plus plenty of Trannies
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
X2
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I chase my mothers po boy down with Barqs and Dixie, that makes me Naturally Nawlins
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I bet you $20 I can tell you where you got your shoes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

CARRY.

EVERYWHERE.

Be highly suspicious of anyone approaching you and engaging in conversation.  If they are talking to you, they want something from you. Money, clothes, valuables, etc.
View Quote
So why even go?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#20]
When I was living in New Orleans in the seventies and eighties, carry permits were difficult to acquire.
The laws were such that each jurisdiction required you to have a permit to be legal, and each had different requirements.

As it turns out, I ended up getting five separate concealed carry permits....New Orleans, Jefferson Parish,
St. Tammany Parish, Slidell, and finally...a Louisiana State permit. None were easy, all required a bond, each
was issued at the discretion of the issuing authority.
To this day, I am probably the only person ever issued that many permits.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Going there in 6 days for work so no carry for me.

I'm staying downtown; can't any worse than Detroit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So why even go?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CARRY.

EVERYWHERE.

So why even go?
As shitholes go, it's a really fun shithole.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So why even go?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CARRY.

EVERYWHERE.

So why even go?
To have fun and enjoy the places and cuisine. Do you refuse to go the range because there might be idiots there and people that want to talk to you?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I chase my mothers po boy down with Barqs and Dixie, that makes me Naturally Nawlins
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm 'Naturally Nawlins' as well (RIP Frank Davis), but have never referred to it as "Nawlins" unless making fun of Hollywood or tourist commercials.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I live an hour away and always carry when I go - no issues.

Go to Cafe du Monde.

Go to Central Grocery and make sure you get a muffaletta and Barq's in a glass bottle. Thank me later.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I bet you $20 I can tell you where you got your shoes.
View Quote

You will hear this at least twice a day.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Only five bystanders wounded Sunday night on Canal street.

https://www.nola.com/opinions/2019/02/what-can-nopd-do-to-keep-bystanders-safer.html
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Crime is everywhere there. Hey, some ref even stole the Superbowl from the Saints right in front of everyone on live TV......
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Crime is everywhere there. Hey, some ref even stole the Superbowl from the Saints right in front of everyone on live TV......
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I carry everywhere when I'm there.
Texas has reciprocity, so...
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Why do you all go there if it's that bad? lol
Is this for business?

The only person I know that is from there does carry.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
They're back in business and the FDA didn't issue a nation wide warning? I chased some Vienna sausages with Dixie once and the whole wad ran back up my gullet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Frank Davis (RIP).
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So why even go?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So why even go?
Exactly.  I went because the wife just had her work convention down there and her boss felt it would be best for me to go with them.

Quoted:
Only five bystanders wounded Sunday night on Canal street.

https://www.nola.com/opinions/2019/02/what-can-nopd-do-to-keep-bystanders-safer.html
I was a few blocks away when that went down.  It looked like Canal St. a few blocks up from Walgreens was completely blocked off afterwards.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I’ve from LA and have been to Nola 50+ times. If you don’t go to the wrong area, you are fine. There are rarely issues in the tourist areas, and cops are aplenty there.

That said, carry when traveling but do not carry if you are going to drink. The cops don’t play with drinking and CCW and you are likely to get pulled aside just for being in the general direction of a drunk ahole that gets the cops attention. I’ve seen it several times. I even saw a guy get arrested for a concealed knife while drinking
View Quote
My experiences in LA.  Stay in the tourist areas in crowds and you’ll likely have no problems.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I thought all the problems in New Orleans were fixed since all the Confederate statues are gone.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mufeletta and a Barq’s goes down pretty smooth, too.  Now I’m gonna have to head to Rouses for more olive dressing this evening.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
So what is the point?  Scam?  Shoe theft?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
To have fun and enjoy the places and cuisine. Do you refuse to go the range because there might be idiots there and people that want to talk to you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CARRY.

EVERYWHERE.

So why even go?
This.  Fortunately the cuisine stretches down a strip on the Gulf Coast so I can get most of the same food in Mobile, but it is a pretty fun place to go from time to time. The WW2 museum, Civil War museum and aquarium are awesome.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#41]
why is that famous powdered sugar fired donut place all Filipinos and they only take cash?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scam.  You "got yo shoes" on your feet.  Had a guy approach me at the Artillery Park and try this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I live an hour away and always carry when I go - no issues.

Go to Cafe du Monde.

Go to Central Grocery and make sure you get a muffaletta and Barq's in a glass bottle. Thank me later.
View Quote
Cafe Beignet chain is less crowded and cheaper than Cafe du Monde.  Mufalettas are awesome and fortunately I can get them locally or make my own at home.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a huge Saints fan, but probably the most expensive robbery in the history of NO.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Scam.  You "got yo shoes" on your feet.  Had a guy approach me at the Artillery Park and try this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve usually seen kids trying this one.  There’s someone nearby a little more intimidating if you decide to welch.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Whatever I carry in New Orleans has pearl grips. I want to blend.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I’ve usually seen kids trying this one.  There’s someone nearby a little more intimidating if you decide to welch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering about that.  The kid that approached me looked like he could get chucked in the river a little too easy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I was wondering about that.  The kid that approached me looked like he could get chucked in the river a little too easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fortunately, I know somebody that fell for that one years ago, but I’m naturally suspicious anyway.  Good rule of thumb is that anyone walking up to strike up a conversation in NO is wanting some money.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#49]
You got midcap in here. You could also ask @scotchymcdrinkerbean and @BigeasySnow as they are more local than my north Louisiana ass.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Why do you all go there if it's that bad? lol
Is this for business?

The only person I know that is from there does carry.
View Quote
I spent Christmas day to New Year's day down there.  I'm headed down there again tomorrow for 6 days of fun.  I'll be going back in May for a concert.  We already have a hotel booked for Halloween.

I carry any time we are not headed to a bar so I don't carry all that much but I carry as much as possible.  For example, lunch at Elizabeth's - I'm carrying.  My wife wants to take pictures in the park - I will be carrying.

When we hit Bourbon Street, we don't wander up and down aimlessly.  We are only on the street when we are moving between a bar and/or a restaurant.  And going between bars usually means we are walking with the band members from the bar we are leaving.

If you want to go to Frenchman's Street, the path to get there is getting dangerous.  The state police have run most of the gutter-punks off Bourbon and they settled on Decatur.  My wife and I will usually wait for a group of people to head that way and tag along.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top