Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2021 11:50:37 PM EDT
Christianity: 50 Denominations Compared

I turn out to be closest to Calvary Chapel. What's yours?
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#1]
None. I'm in one of the groups he mentioned leaving out.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting channel.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I can see why he picked his definition of evangelical, but it's not a definition, it's just a description of some things that people do/believe in who are *called* (rightly or wrongly) evangelical.  Not surprising, really, because that word is almost meaningless anymore.

Evangelical vs liberal, if you want a decent diving line, it's simply a matter of do you treat the bible as God's word and the final authority or not. That's very rule of thumb but it works to at least separate the groups, even if you get some wild fliers on either side of that who don't fit the modern non-definition. But if you use that rule of thumb, you won't find liberal denoms on the side where the bible is treated as God's word and the final authority or not or evangelical denoms on the side of God's word not authoritative and final.

PCA is on it's way to a split. They didn't handle the federal vision stuff as they should have and are already moving towards ordaining women and have not handled the inroads of the sexual anarchy movement very well.

SBC is also up in the air after their big meeting this year. Russel moore smeared the denom on the way out the door by making accusations of abuse and *not* saying who did it; there was some pretty stupid political campaigning to control who got elected to the sbc presidency, and the messengers at the convention were stopped in their attempt to clearly define CRT and intersectionalism as the evil it is. If you read that article on thefederalist about the convention and nothing else - you got suckered (and the federalist ought to know better). https://founders.org/2021/06/17/the-2021-southern-baptist-convention-what-just-happened/

... aaand he goes off the nutter end re: listing seventh day as christian. At least he bothered to say some don't agree that they are.

Link Posted: 6/26/2021 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#4]
That was an actual helpful vid in a broad sense-thank you.

I’ve spent the majority of my Christian life in Calvary Chapel but align with conservative Quakers and Mennonites easily.
I’m a member of a Baptist church.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 2:41:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

PCA is on it's way to a split. They didn't handle the federal vision stuff as they should have and are already moving towards ordaining women and have not handled the inroads of the sexual anarchy movement very well.

View Quote
Less likely yesterday than today.
Federal vision folks are pretty much gone from the PCA.
And just tonight, there was a large majority rejecting SSA/gay affirming officers, CRT, and that presbyteries oversee that pastors can't teach their exceptions to the WCF.
In fact, the conservatives didn't lose a a single vote this year.

Link Posted: 7/2/2021 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I’ve spent the majority of my Christian life in Calvary Chapel but align with conservative Quakers and Mennonites easily.
View Quote

I was raised a Baptist but they're about to go "woke" and all LGBT all the time.  Nope, nope, and NOPE.

I attended a Quaker church service once.  I'm not sure if it was typical, but they just sat around meditating.  I'm all for the mystic, direct spiritual aspects of communing with God, but that takes it to the extreme.  You can meditate at your house.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#7]
It's interesting how much discord arises over how to "do church".

I grew up LCMS.  I greatly esteem Calvary Chapel's biblical focus.  I'm probably somewhere between.

I think it's important for believers in christ to heed his call to overcome the shortfalls of any congregation one finds themselves amongst
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was raised a Baptist but they're about to go "woke" and all LGBT all the time.  Nope, nope, and NOPE.

I attended a Quaker church service once.  I'm not sure if it was typical, but they just sat around meditating.  I'm all for the mystic, direct spiritual aspects of communing with God, but that takes it to the extreme.  You can meditate at your house.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The little Baptist Church that I’m a member of isn’t going woke anytime soon. Quakers/Mennonites are peculiar. Some of them make Dem Underground seem like like right wing wackos-that sounds like the group you fell into. Others actually try to do what Jesus said and have a pastoral leadership organizational structure.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Born and raised Independent Baptist moved over to Primitive Baptist...now a Calvary Chapel guy.

All of those options are very close in most absolutes of the Bible but they are very different on practice.

For me and the Church bodies Ive been a part of it comes down to who is fulfilling what they believe through the way the interact with society and culture.

Plus I love CC take on expository preaching.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I grew up in a Methodist, then United Methodist church.  

I am NOT Methodist. As I study and read through the Bible, I'm on a trajectory ----> agreeing with Calvinistic / TULIP / Reformed understanding of scripture. I'm currently studying early church fathers, reformation, puritan theology.  

Yeah that's all well and good, but what are you?  Meh.  Too much emphasis on labels and sects.   At my new, NOT Methodist, church, "Bible is our middle name.".    

ALL 66 books of the Bible
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
At my new, NOT Methodist, church, "Bible is our middle name.".    
ALL 66 books of the Bible
View Quote

What would your Church's "middle name" have been for the first 400 years of Christianity when there was no Bible?

And, if they hold the Bible in such high regard, why do they only honor 66 of the 73 original Bible Books, you know, those extra 7 that were in the Bible for nearly 1200 years before their removal?

Seems a bit contradictory.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#12]
No one says don’t read those books...at least no one I know.  How often do you read Leviticus or Numbers?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top