Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2020 4:51:26 PM EDT
Alright. So, my employer (I'm doing the leg work and will be using it) is looking to buy a 3D printer for around $5K. None of us have ever used one. So I'm looking for simplicity and plug and play basically. I think I've narrowed it down to two options below.

Fusion3 F410

Ultimaker S3

I don't know what I don't know and I lack serious experience with these. I've considered getting a Prusa or Ender, but I don't want to spend weeks building it and figuring it out. I would like to take a SolidWorks file, convert it to STL, and start printing.

So far, the Fusion3 has a larger print bed and an enclosed material box. The Ultimaker is almost $1K cheaper and can print with a second head using water soluble materials for support. But I just don't know if I'll ever use it.

Please, anyone with experience that can look at these and advise me would be appreciated. Or any direct experience is also great! Thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Have not heard much about the Fusion (or fusion products in general, but maybe that’s because I don’t read much about commercial printers), but Ultimaker is known for high quality prints, good customer service, and in general a high quality machine. I’m guessing that once you start printing, you’ll realize how nice it is to have a second print head for soluble supports. I don’t have one because I can usually deal with homogenous supports, but I wish I did!

What are you looking to print with it? Materials in mind?
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have not heard much about the Fusion (or fusion products in general, but maybe that’s because I don’t read much about commercial printers), but Ultimaker is known for high quality prints, good customer service, and in general a high quality machine. I’m guessing that once you start printing, you’ll realize how nice it is to have a second print head for soluble supports. I don’t have one because I can usually deal with homogenous supports, but I wish I did!

What are you looking to print with it? Materials in mind?
View Quote

We will be printing prototypes of things and fixturing. I imagine we will print a lot of nylon, possibly with carbon fiber? Again, I really don't know what we will be printing yet. I R DUM.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Supports are very useful as it makes it my l much more forgiving for orientation of parts. A soluble solution would be amazing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We will be printing prototypes of things and fixturing. I imagine we will print a lot of nylon, possibly with carbon fiber? Again, I really don't know what we will be printing yet. I R DUM.
View Quote

If you want to print nylon, you’ll definitely need a way to keep the nylon dry as it’s printing - nylon filament will absorb moisture very quickly, to the point where a print will get progressively worse as it nears completion. The Fusion machine may already have a system to keep the filament dry inside the enclosure. There are other ways to keep filament dry as it’s printing should you decide to go with the ultimaker.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#5]
By 4 enders and make moar things
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
By 4 enders and make moar things
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

The nylon will need some sort of a drying setup as stated. Enclosures are beneficial in an industrial setting as they reduce sound and help keep air borne particulate off the components and filament. However with higher temp materials like nylon something with a heated enclosure would be beneficial to the print quality. Carbon fiber you will want a Harden steel nozzle or equivalent, otherwise the fibers will quickly erode the standard brass nozzle.

I would look a bit harder, for the price point and the intended materials there are some better options out there.

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
We had a couple MarkForged printers at my old job that performed really well.  I think only the Onyx One is in your price range and you might be forced to use their carbon fiber infused filament which is somewhat expensive but very strong.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The nylon will need some sort of a drying setup as stated. Enclosures are beneficial in an industrial setting as they reduce sound and help keep air borne particulate off the components and filament. However with higher temp materials like nylon something with a heated enclosure would be beneficial to the print quality. Carbon fiber you will want a Harden steel nozzle or equivalent, otherwise the fibers will quickly erode the standard brass nozzle.

I would look a bit harder, for the price point and the intended materials there are some better options out there.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Both units are capable of doing carbon fiber filaments. Both offer a hardened nozzle. I think Ultimaker uses a ruby nozzle and Fusion3 uses hardened steel.

Quoted:
We had a couple MarkForged printers at my old job that performed really well.  I think only the Onyx One is in your price range and you might be forced to use their carbon fiber infused filament which is somewhat expensive but very strong.

I talked with a guy from MarkForged about their Onyx printers. The issue is that they are very limited with the material that can be used for the price point I'm looking at. Otherwise, I would have considered them. But I just don't need every part I make to be made out of a carbon fiber material.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#10]
One thing to consider is that the ultimaker uses 2.85mm filament which will limit some of your filament choices compared to a printer that uses 1.75mm filament.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Of the 2 listed, get the Fusion.   We have 2 at work and they get used almost non-stop.  Parts of the feeding system are 3d printed and will fail.  Company always sends replacement parts fast.  They won't send us a file to print our own.

Ultimaker is too expensive for the performance.  I have one and it's biggest problem was using the larger filement size.  The machine is down right now needing a new nozzle and hot head.  The cost of the replacement parts from the factory is too high.  I can by a new printer for the same price.  Not a new Ultimaker printer but one that works just as well or better.

Mark forge uses a cloud based post processor to program the printer.  I don't like that.  Any network problems and no printing.  There filament is 4x the cost of equivalent materials.  You can not program the machine without internet.  It's a machine that fills a small niche of prints needing reinforcement.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a full S5 stack, a Ultimaker 3x, and a Ultimaker 2x at work. For professional stuff I would not consider any FDM printer that doesn't have soluble support.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#13]
This may interest you, although they like to get you on the filament.

https://www.makerbot.com/3d-printers/method-carbon-fiber-edition/

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Of the 2 listed, get the Fusion.   We have 2 at work and they get used almost non-stop.  Parts of the feeding system are 3d printed and will fail.  Company always sends replacement parts fast.  They won't send us a file to print our own.

Ultimaker is too expensive for the performance.  I have one and it's biggest problem was using the larger filement size.  The machine is down right now needing a new nozzle and hot head.  The cost of the replacement parts from the factory is too high.  I can by a new printer for the same price.  Not a new Ultimaker printer but one that works just as well or better.

Mark forge uses a cloud based post processor to program the printer.  I don't like that.  Any network problems and no printing.  There filament is 4x the cost of equivalent materials.  You can not program the machine without internet.  It's a machine that fills a small niche of prints needing reinforcement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is excellent information. Exactly what I've been seeking. I did see that they use 3D printed parts on their machine which has me a little worried. But you're the first person I've seen who has a Fusion. I'm glad they're actually out there. Do you have the air lots on them? How well does it print nylons? Their customer service does seem very responsive with my requests for info and quotes, etc. Thanks!!!

Quoted:
I have a full S5 stack, a Ultimaker 3x, and a Ultimaker 2x at work. For professional stuff I would not consider any FDM printer that doesn't have soluble support.

How many issues have you had with part replacements? Did you have any similar issues as Meche_03 above? Thoughts on the use of larger filament vs standard 1.75? Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I work for a large 3D printer company and sell parts for prototyping and production including traditional methods of manufacturing as well.

I would love to chat with you to learn about your companies needs and see if I could help somehow.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I work for a large 3D printer company and sell parts for prototyping and production including traditional methods of manufacturing as well.

I would love to chat with you to learn about your companies needs and see if I could help somehow.
View Quote

Protolabs? That's who we've been using up til this. But I'll shoot you a PM.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is excellent information. Exactly what I've been seeking. I did see that they use 3D printed parts on their machine which has me a little worried. But you're the first person I've seen who has a Fusion. I'm glad they're actually out there. Do you have the air lots on them? How well does it print nylons? Their customer service does seem very responsive with my requests for info and quotes, etc. Thanks!!!

How many issues have you had with part replacements? Did you have any similar issues as Meche_03 above? Thoughts on the use of larger filament vs standard 1.75? Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The S5 with the material station and air handler

A slightly older set up showing all 3 of our printers

Neither the S5 or the 3ext have needed much tinkering over the years, it's swappable hot ends make things easy, the 2 has had a few bad days but that's mostly because of bad settings.

3mm filament has never been an issue, I buy a lot of matter hackers tough PLA for most of our stuff, Ultimaker PVA for support and there Nylon for more flexible stuff, I do have the ruby tip hotend for printing Glass and Carbon filled Nylon, but I generally don't use it much, it's a bit more particular and expensive so I save it for final in-house prototypes that require a lot of toughness or rigidity

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Protolabs? That's who we've been using up til this. But I'll shoot you a PM.
View Quote

I worked for Protolabs for 2 years but no longer.

Let’s chat.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Makerbot Method X that I have been pretty happy with.   It’s not quite as good as the Fortus machines I’m used to, but at 1/5 the price.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I know nothing about those two printers, but water soluble supports are awesome, especially for really small intricate prints.  For larger prints it is not as big of a deal to remove supports.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top