Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2019 10:03:30 PM EDT
Did you collect Comic books as a kid? Do you still?

I did (Marvel), but don't anymore. I still did up until around the time Obama was elected. They had been throwing liberal political talking points into the stories for awhile before then, but it just got too much to handle.

I kinda miss them, but the movies have filled in for them to an extent.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I did as a kid. Now it’s graphic novels. Mostly Batman.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I still have a bunch somewhere. Not many, but more of a representative sample.
No superhero stuff, all war comics, archie, Richie rich, Donald duck genres.

I buy a graphic novel once in awhile. Sad how SJW has taken over so many comics.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#3]
As a teen, I collected the X-Men and affiliated titles, plus the Punisher titles and The 'Nam.
Totally got out of it when I started college and my $$ was needed for other things.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm 51 and still read comics. I like the darker heroes. Punisher, Wolverine, Conan. I also have all The Walking Dead comics. To be honest I don't enjoy them as much as I used to. I've been looking for a reason to quit reading them. With The Walking Dead ending that will probably give me the reason.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was a kid I had tons of comics from many different lines, then when I was a teen I whittled my comics down to a few select indie and horror titles that I really liked. I stopped buying comics entirely in the mid 90s when the market became too superhero focused, and over-inflated and ridiculously priced... but after the crash I've gone back and purchased a few dozen issues I never could afford before to fill in holes in my remaining collection. One or two modern lines from the last ten years aside I have not really bought comics in large numbers in decades.

My current comics collection is relegated to a set of big long boxes in the closet upstairs. I very rarely look at them anymore and they are more or less in cold storage.

I'm waiting for a line I used to love as a teenager to come back later this year, once it comes back I'll start buying that line again. Outside of that I currently do not purchase new comics or plan to purchase any, and I will absolutely not buy anything from the main lines ever again unless they drastically change their style.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I have about 4 or 5 long plastic bins full of Marvel  and a few DC comics. I thought my kids might get into comics, but didn't.  I'll save them for potential grandkids.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Print comics are dead. However...

I've been buying some trade paperbacks lately. I kind of got out of comics in about 2001. Now I'm finding stuff that's been published since then that I want to read. I just finished Marvel's The Ultimates vol 1 and 2, and have volumes 3 & 4 on order.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#9]
nvm
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#10]
i was born in 90 and i never even saw a comic book.  My friends were nerdy enough too.  Pokemon cards, Magic cards, band..etc.  But Comic Books were long gone by the time we were growing up.  Maybe in other parts of the country but in the suburb of LA where I grew up, they weren't a thing.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i was born in 90 and i never even saw a comic book.  My friends were nerdy enough too.  Pokemon cards, Magic cards, band..etc.  But Comic Books were long gone by the time we were growing up.  Maybe in other parts of the country but in the suburb of LA where I grew up, they weren't a thing.  
View Quote
They were great growing up, but like everything else, they inserted their politics and alienated half their audience.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm 51 and still read comics. I like the darker heroes. Punisher, Wolverine, Conan. I also have all The Walking Dead comics. To be honest I don't enjoy them as much as I used to. I've been looking for a reason to quit reading them. With The Walking Dead ending that will probably give me the reason.
View Quote
Ever read Cerebus? Church & State? Good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, maybe I need to look into them. I'm bored with the same old same old.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#14]
As a kid in the 80s I was mostly into GI Joe, Transformers, Conan, and Spider-man. (Who was the only superhero I really liked.) I read my friends X-men and Avengers and stuff, but was not really into them. I went through a brief Image comics phase from 18 - 21. (Spawn, Wildcats) But by then comics had started going up so much in price, it got to be ridiculous. Since then I won't buy anything unless it has been collected into a graphic novel. I''m not a big superhero guy still, though. My graphic novel collection is mostly sci-fi/Fantasy (Alita, Warcraft, Lady Mechanika), sci-fi TV show continuations (Firefly, Farscape, Rick and Morty, etc...) and things like The Walking Dead.
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 12:46:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I collected GI Joe and the early Dark Horse Alien Predator and Terminator comics, along with The ‘Nam and Punisher.   Got rid of the others but Still have about 100 GI Joes, all bagged and back boarded and boxed up.

That said, comics died out in the 90s for me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#16]
My brother collected GI Joe and Transformers comics.  I liked the artwork in the Sgt Rock comics.  During the mid-1990's I picked up several issues of the Punisher and related story arc comics of the time when he surrendered after thinking he killed some innocent bystanders, then gets brainwashed into killing Nick Fury.  Afterward I lost interest when the multi-series story arc about Onslaught began.

Around the same time there was a set of countdown issues implying the end of the Hulk, then it turned out to be some sort of reboot of the series.  Major Talbot made him believe Betty was killed, and he reverted to angry simple minded Banner, and was shot in the head.  When he changed to the Hulk, he was now out of control, brain damaged Hulk (and the Maestro version.)  In order to stop Hulk, Thor summons up some berzerker madness to keep him in place so a nuke can be fired at him.  Turns out this was what Hulk wanted all along, and throws Thor clear of the blast radius.

The Punisher Armory was a great series.  No story line, just a series of books detailing different items in the Punisher's inventory.  Whoever penned it had a wide knowledge of what's out there regarding firearms and accessories.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 3:55:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I loved DeadWorld comics....  Zombie comics that pre-dated TWD... Explains at the onset, the reason for the apocalypse.. which is really kinda cool... and the zombies aren't all  just eating machines... some are intelligent and use the others as soldiers.. there's not only zombies... besides zombies of varying levels of intelligence, there's demons and monsters...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top