Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2018 9:32:51 PM EDT
Let's say a person received a judgment for monetary compensation from a civil court hearing. There was no payment plan set up because the person awarded judgement was waiting to see if an appeal was going to be filed in a higher court. No appeal was filed. A few days after the appeal deadline, the person awarded judgement gets an envelope in the mail with a money order from the defendant. No accompanying letter or explanation with the most order.

Is the person who received judgement required to accept payment with no plan in place or agreement for payment?

I understand there are lawyers here and none of you are my lawyer and many are not even in my state.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#1]
If it ain't in writing it doesn't count.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would you not take payment?  Why does there need to be a payment plan or agreement.  Judgement awarded and paid.

Seriously tagging this to find out what is going on;
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would you not take payment?  Why does there need to be a payment plan or agreement.  Judgement awarded and paid.

View Quote
The payment received is a small fraction of the judgment. No agreement on payment terms means this could take years to pay back at whatever the defendant decides.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wtf take it as a partial payment. You're re still free to garnish wages etc
View Quote
^^^^
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The payment received is a small fraction of the judgment. No agreement on payment terms means this could take years to pay back at whatever the defendant decides.
View Quote
Got it.  Original post let me to believe it was the total judgement,
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I read that here. I think they also have dead beat friendly bankruptcy exemptions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you know that you can't garnish for commercial debts in TX? When I learned that, I found it odd that a conservative state would be so pro-debtor. I'd expect that from the commie states.

I read that here. I think they also have dead beat friendly bankruptcy exemptions.
One of those places where you cannot lose the primary residence either I think?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't forget to add post-judgment interest.  In WV the rate is 4.5%.

Every time you get a payment, send a statement back to the debtor showing the amount owed, accrued interest, payments received, etc.  Excel is your friend here.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In many places you have to file against the person again to get an 'enforcement order'
or 'collection order.'
Names and procedures vary.

It often requires YOU to find information about accounts the loser may have.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:33:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That one is pretty common.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of those places where you cannot lose the primary residence either I think?
That one is pretty common.
Not common at all, only two states completely exempt primary residences, Florida and Texas.

Every other state as a maximum value. Ohio is $125,000, but until recently, it used to be a ridiculously low number. $5k, IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Update: Two payments have been received so far. Have sent receipts back as well. Putting the payments in an old, unused account until the entire judgement is paid in full. After that, have to settle up with the insurance company for subrogation. They actually worked with us to lower the subrogation amount. Since no one had a lawyer, they offered a 50/50 split on the judgement, which I accepted. Getting to legally charge interest is fun too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Update: Full recovery for the judgment has been received. I have payment IDs (money order numbers and check numbers with amounts for verification). Kept all records and a detailed spreadsheet of payments.

Judging by the final payment, the defendant took out a personal loan from a local bank to pay me in full. Now they have another debt in their hands. I bet they used the property where the dog but me as collateral. If she can't pay the loan, they could repossess and sell and I could buy it from the bank? This could work out way better than expected.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Update: Full recovery for the judgment has been received. I have payment IDs (money order numbers and check numbers with amounts for verification). Kept all records and a detailed spreadsheet of payments.

Judging by the final payment, the defendant took out a personal loan from a local bank to pay me in full. Now they have another debt in their hands. I bet they used the property where the dog but me as collateral. If she can't pay the loan, they could repossess and sell and I could buy it from the bank? This could work out way better than expected.
View Quote
This is one of the actual ways to grab property.

Foreclosure auctions are not for the faint of heart (or those without a lot of cash available very quickly).
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Nvm, I already replied in this thread.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top