Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2021 2:05:25 PM EDT
I love go karts, so when this popped up for $300 I had to get it.

Yerf dog 2 seat, 6.5hp.  Real basic, but a starting point.

Attachment Attached File

And an hour later it's topless, the controls are cutout and the welds shaved out.

Attachment Attached File

Got the steering mocked up.  Measured and laid out the components to correct the Ackermann but that's a crappy wheel angle to it may get a u-joint.  Have my side by side buddies looking for a seat for me.  Once that's done it'll be cage time.

Attachment Attached File

Lastly I ordered the body tabs for the panels.  :)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Reminds me of that one year at fat camp
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Needs a sportbike motor
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Needs a sportbike motor
View Quote
Considered the engine from a quad but the simplicity and compact design of an H shaft engine is hard to beat.

Went with this- https://www.duromaxpower.com/products/duromax-xp16hpe-16-hp-1-shaft-recoil-electric-start-engine
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Torque converter and some go-fast parts in the engine should make for a fun ride.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Torque converter and some go-fast parts in the engine should make for a fun ride.
View Quote
Researching those now.  Suggestions?

Seats have been located-
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/8/2021 2:11:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Mocked up
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/8/2021 3:21:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome. Will follow along.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#9]
That looks like tons of fun!
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Hope to get seat and engine mounted tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Seats have been located-
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145430/SmartSelect_20210920-132015_Messages_jpg-2098282.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seats have been located-
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145430/SmartSelect_20210920-132015_Messages_jpg-2098282.JPG

Torque converter, you’ll be looking at 40 series, plan on adding a jackshaft for the driven pulley. I’m not a fan of the “kit” that all runs on a common backer plate for big applications.

With the engine, you’re powered nicely, so big mods aren’t necessary unless you want to go hog wild.
To start: zip tie governer spring(valve springs will limit RPM to 5200(ish)

Bigger main jet (EPA has these running lean)

Ditch the muffler for a pipe

You can build that big if you want, but you’ll probably have big fun with just disabling the governer and getting it jetted for power.

Look up clone 420 performance parts to get a idea of what’s available. I build GX200/Predator clones, so I’m not in tune with the 420 market, but I can get you going in the right direction if you’re looking for more.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I think we used a comet clutch kit on the one we built when I was a kid. Looks like they do.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#13]
This looks awesome. Subbed for more goodness.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Torque converter, you'll be looking at 40 series, plan on adding a jackshaft for the driven pulley. I'm not a fan of the "kit" that all runs on a common backer plate for big applications.

With the engine, you're powered nicely, so big mods aren't necessary unless you want to go hog wild.
To start: zip tie governer spring(valve springs will limit RPM to 5200(ish)

Bigger main jet (EPA has these running lean)

Ditch the muffler for a pipe

You can build that big if you want, but you'll probably have big fun with just disabling the governer and getting it jetted for power.

Look up clone 420 performance parts to get a idea of what's available. I build GX200/Predator clones, so I'm not in tune with the 420 market, but I can get you going in the right direction if you're looking for more.
View Quote
Hell ya, baby!

Didn't get anything mounted.  Damn work got in the way.

I did go with the all in one kit.  It's 3/8" thick steel with guessets in the right areas, got it from Gopowersports in TX.  Not my ideal arrangement, but I needed a place to start and if it proves to be flimsy I have plans to definitely improve upon it.  

From my perspective it's a 2 dimensional design.  Yes it has depth, but in relation to it's size the depth isn't much.  First idea was to integrate the jack shaft mount into an engine mount.  That keeps the torque converter arrangement in line and stiffens it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top