Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2018 8:55:02 PM EDT
Apparently this happened at the Duxford,  airshow.  Great cockpit video, and commentary by the pilot.

P-51 Engine Out, Off-Airport Landing - clip
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude is a boss. His last minute decision easily saved his life.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
That’s an airman right there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
My goodness...
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#4]
From experience:

FUCK THE RUNWAY.

FIND BEST OPTION AND PUT IT DOWN RIGHT FUCKING NOW.

He fucked around and went in downwind trying to make the runway.

The best, prettiest, most expensive airplane should be treated like worthless junk when your ass is in it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
why he pull his gear up? were not those planes designed to land on grass and rough runways?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Good video. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#7]
You could see the runway at 2:26. If he would have tried for the runway at that point on he would have stalled the plane and most likely would have been killed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why he pull his gear up? were not those planes designed to land on grass and rough runways?
View Quote
Big difference between a smooth, prepared grass/dirt/gravel runway, and a field.  With the gear down you have a much bigger chance of flipping the airplane over, if the ground is wet, or there is anything big and/or uneven in the way.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Gear down probably would have flipped it and killed him.  A plowed / tilled field is not similar to a hard compacted mowed grass field.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Unimproved landing strips are the same as plowed farm fields. Dont have to worry about plowed furrows in a grass landing strip. Gear down would have probably caused him to flip over and possibly cart wheel.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#12]
... Wow, that's nuts
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Unimproved landing strips are the same as plowed farm fields. Dont have to worry about plowed furrows in a grass landing strip. Gear down would have probably caused him to flip over and possibly cart wheel.
View Quote
ive seen old films of those planes landing in muddy shitholes of a field.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
You want to end up having your tail going above you ?

The plane would roll over if you ditch it gear down
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
On nice grass runways, sure. Not so much in a tilled rutted all to shit farming field.

Gear goes up so you don't dig it into the ground and go flipping/tumbling.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Easy Rebuild
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#17]
They are going to have it flying again for the same airshow this year.

Here is the clip, plus a breakdown the pilot.  Seems like a badass dude and makes no bones about the fact he fucked some things up.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/BBpqvPujZgM[/youtube]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
From experience:

FUCK THE RUNWAY.

The best, prettiest, most expensive airplane should be treated like worthless junk when your ass is in it.
View Quote
Listen to this man. This dude probably has more engine failures and off-airport landings than 95% of commercial pilots on this page, if not on earth.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Listen to this man. Probably has more engine failures and off-airport landings than 95% of commercial pilots on this page, if not on earth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From experience:

FUCK THE RUNWAY.

Listen to this man. Probably has more engine failures and off-airport landings than 95% of commercial pilots on this page, if not on earth.
Not sure if serious.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Great video.

Good decisions on the pilot.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Listen to this man. This dude probably has more engine failures and off-airport landings than 95% of commercial pilots on this page, if not on earth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From experience:

FUCK THE RUNWAY.

You guys are right based on what my dad told me and he I know had 2 off airport landings
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Badass to the bone.

Right hand on the stick till it completely stopped.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Fact is he walked away and nobody got hurt so he did a nice job. Monday morning quarterbacking at 1G is easy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tight grass field and plowed farm fields be different.  Hard to tell how different til your in it.   Wheels down and they will stick in the dirt and flip over.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not sure if serious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
From experience:

FUCK THE RUNWAY.

Not sure if serious.
I think serious. This thread from about a month ago isn't his first first-hand account of a plane crash on this forum.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Who are you referencing? Because the quoted post sounds retarded...
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Everyone teaches gear up landings in off-road landings. His last turn scared me but I wasn’t there and therefore not qualified to judge.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow, I was just there a month ago and saw a p51 and a spitfire fly. Glad he walked away from that one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#30]
We have two members here who have landed their aircraft on roads, but none that I know of that "arrived" in a field.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Who are you referencing? Because the quoted post sounds retarded...
View Quote
Samuse. Have you been to the aviation page lately? Dude has more engine failures and off-airport landings than any dude I know. Something like 5 in the past 1800 hours.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like the canopy hit him in the back of the head, ouch,

Also curious if he tried switching fuel tanks, he didn't mention it and I didn't see him do it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Samuse. Have you been to the aviation page lately? Dude has more engine failures and off-airport landings than any dude I know. Something like 5 in the past 1800 hours.
View Quote
Well, he’s got me by 3. But no fucking way am I putting down a P51 immediately on an unimproved field when I have partial power. Whatever though. No one lets me fly them anyway.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow.  Amazing video.  Glad he was able to walk away from what could have been a deadly crash.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Well, he’s got me by 3. But no fucking way am I putting down a P51 immediately on an unimproved field when I have partial power. Whatever though. No one lets me fly them anyway.
View Quote
Honestly, I would have tried to keep flying it because its a Mustang. Probably to my demise
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Thank God for ejection seats.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Yep, keep flying the aircraft.

I fly paramotors and had an engine out. Priority is FLYING. Line up, set controls where you need them, then fly as long as you need to.

That pilot in that video is a good pilot. A lesser pilot likely would have died.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#38]
As long as you have an equal amount of take offs vs landings......

It's when you end up with one less landing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Honestly, I would have tried to keep flying it because its a Mustang. Probably to my demise
View Quote
Yep... he also had a lot of options. There were fields everywhere. I’m sure if it was a neighborhood or terrain, his decisions would have been different. Up until short final, he had an out pretty much everywhere, but man... homeboy literally took it to the LAST second... I didn’t think he was going to level the wings in time.

Admittedly, I skimmed through most of the video and didn’t catch what he was doing with the gear. I don’t think I would have ever dropped it at all, at least until I had the runway 100%.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Dude is a boss. His last minute decision easily saved his life.
View Quote
His SA, not getting fixated on making the runway was awesome.  He'll probably have to do remedial training, because he didn't properly use the TEM matrix in his debrief.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

His SA, not getting fixated on making the runway was awesome.  He'll probably have to do remedial training, because he didn't properly use the TEM matrix in his debrief.
View Quote
Solid green buddy..... solid green......

Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Dramatic moment a replica Spitfire lands without undercarriage
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Wow.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Admittedly, I skimmed through most of the video and didn't catch what he was doing with the gear. I don't think I would have ever dropped it at all, at least until I had the runway 100%.
View Quote
If you watch the full video I posted he talks about this.  He says he was task saturated busy flying the plane.  The controller was yelling he didn't have his gear down.  His "ape brain" said "I can handle that" and threw the gear lever.  He admits it was a fuck up and he shouldn't have dropped the gear but he heard a command and followed it basically.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Watch the 30 min version he explains why he pulled the gear up in it.

Also walks through his fuck ups, biggest being not reacting asap when it quit the first time! Had he, most likely would have made it back and landed safe.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:26:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Looked good to my non pilot ass.

Curious....  would there be a point where he could have just shut the engine down instead of having it restarting over and over again?  Or would it be better to let it restart intermittently?
View Quote
In the video, he said intermittent power is the most dangerous because you waffle between trying to make the airfield and setting down right now. He said it's far better to have full power or no power because it makes you commit to one course of action of the other. The waffling and indecision is what gets you killed.

He also made the point that you have to treat the aircraft as a vehicle for your survival once things go bad. No matter how expensive or rare it is, it's sole purpose is to keep you alive. If that means the aircraft is wrecked, so be it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#47]
My grandfather belly landed 3 B-24 Liberators in WWII.

1st was in training and the instrument cluster burst into flames during takeoff. Story is he was trying to run away from the plane after the crash because he thought it would blow up but his parachute cords were caught in the plane. Looked like a dog on a chain trying to run at you but getting yanked back according to his crew.

2nd time was after a bombing run and his plane was too shot up and low on fuel to make it back home. He did land in friendly territory.

3rd time was after operation tidal wave. Plane was shot to shit, he had shrapnel injuries and co-pilot was dead he had to belly land in a Romanian field. Most of his crew survived and were later taken by the Germans as POWs. The Germans were very meticulous of documenting every plane shot down. We actually have pictures the Germans took of the plane. My cousin found some service that got this information to the families of those involved.

After escaping the POW camp he made his way back to the allied lines. They sent him to the states to start training flying B-29s to bomb Japan. He loved the B-29 with its pressurized cabin.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Awesome
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#49]
So what failed on the engine?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So what failed on the engine?
View Quote
I watched this video and the longer analysis video. The cause of the engine failure is never revealed. There is probably an official UK government aviation report online in the UK somewhere that reveals the actual cause.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top