Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2023 4:43:09 PM EDT
Anybody going to get the Clive Cussler from Doxa.
I saw it on Long Island Watch. Mark ordered one and I really liked it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Gorgeous!

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Dang it.   I just got the original a few months ago and was recuperating from that purchase -- now they have to do this?    LOL, oh well.       I've read everyone of those books and the original is my grail watch - if the stars align (unexpected bonus, or the sale of some of my outdated cycling equipment, etc. ) i would (will) likely bite, but not anything i'm going to go stretch myself too much for

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#4]
It’s not orange.   I read the documentaries
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
It’s cool, but does not really call to me.

I’m going to stick with the sharkhunter.

His books-
Wow.

It hurts to re-read them now,
But when I was like 10 or 11 Dirk Pitt novels were like the ultimate combination of Michael Crichton techno-thrillers and Mack Bolan novels with a touch of the old Sea Hunt shows that used to be a rainy Saturday afternoon UHF channel fare.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I have to admit after looking at the watch I still like it quite a bit but I’ve got one critique and it’s kind of a big one

Did they have to put the name Clive Cussler right there on the dial?  Anybody who is in the know will know what watch this is literally at a glance and excess writing cheapens the experience for me, and for 3k it’s a factor for me as that is starting to get into big boy watch territory.

Although I’m sure there of been Mickey Mouse watches that have been quite pricey, though

Omega does not scribe “James Bond” or “Skyfall” on any of theirs that I am aware of but they definitely make a recognizable Bond watch and likely have made several over the years, but I have noticed some of the James Bond editions, have some recognizable designs on the dial that are reminiscent of some of the on screen designs during opening credits—

If I’m wrong, you guys call me out though for sure,
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

His books-
Wow.

It hurts to re-read them now,
But when I was like 10 or 11 Dirk Pitt novels were like the ultimate combination of Michael Crichton techno-thrillers and Mack Bolan
View Quote

Lol

I still enjoy re-reading them on a rainy Sunday

Almost like an over the top action movie.  It was not that long ago that my mom asked me if I was ever going to clean all my old books out of the back closet of her house and I found probably 15 of them and have reread a couple. Notably the Mediterranean caper and raise the titanic.
    The one where the ww one German biplane attacks a modern naval base

Re-reading those books, got me wanting that watch again, and I was going to go for a Seestern to scratch the itch, but one of you dudes, kindly pointed out that there was an orange 300T in the EE .  (Enablers )

Now that I’ve worn it for a while I’ve got to admit it’s an acquired taste both because of the color and its height.   The watch body itself is fine, but the bezel is raised in a unique manner that’s supposed to be easier to grip when you’re wearing dive gloves, so it sits proud maybe an eighth of an inch.

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 10:53:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Re-reading those books, got me wanting to watch again, and I was going to go for a Seestern to scratch the itch, but one of you dudes, kindly pointed out that there was an orange 300T in the EE .  (Enablers )
View Quote

You're welcome.  I was thinking of picking up another Seestern to see if I could patina it like that Cussler watch, but apparently it's a PVD coating.

I almost jumped at a 300 on WUS yesterday for $1250, but I remember that I hate tall watches.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 6:36:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I was always a big Dirk Pitt fan growing up but this just looks meh to me.   The faux patina finish and campy map dial just seem cartoonish or kitsch to me.  I was looking forward to a Cussler memorial edition but this certainly wasn't what I'd envisioned. I'd prefer a more authentic Synchron era clone with a NUMA logo or epitaph logo replacing the US Divers' Aqualung.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I’m just glad they are still around.  They have a serious, long term watchmaking history and some hardcore, solid rep in the golden age of dive watches.

Now, granted, they were a late entry into the golden age of the modern dive watch. Rolex, Zodiac, and Blancpain - Omega, etc. had what we consider the modern dive watch out over a decade earlier.  They were a couple of years behind Seiko.

The post quartz crisis silver age of dive watches, say the 70s/80s, and the Bronze Age of mid 90s to mid 2000s, was heavily carried by either awesome bang for the buck Seikos, Citizens, etc. Or more expensive, less bang for the buck Swiss options.  And the Bronze Age was complicated by digital options, wrist watch sized dive computers, etc.

And their entry into the golden age of dive watches, well, was not too long before the quartz crisis and implosion of the Swiss Watchmaking industry.  The brand was all but dead until about 20 years ago. I am very happy with the Renaissance we have had the last decade or two.  Doxa has had fantastic offerings since and was in on it eaely on.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You're welcome.

I remember that I hate tall watches.
View Quote

Thats right,  That was you !    LOL

This one is most noticeable when i am putting on a long sleeve shirt or a jacket, - it will catch on the arm opening and hang me up there, resulting in me having to take the watch off and try again.    Makes me sound like the most uncoordinated nerd out there,
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’m just glad they are still around.  They have a serious, long term watchmaking history and some hardcore, solid rep in the golden age of dive watches.

Now, granted, they were a late entry into the golden age of the modern dive watch. Rolex, Zodiac, and Blancpain - Omega, etc. had what we consider the modern dive watch out over a decade earlier.  They were a couple of years behind Seiko.

View Quote

They were definitely a product of the 1960s but certainly had sufficient "street cred"  with their collaboration with Cousteau, codevelopment of the HRV with Rolex etc.

"The unexpected overwhelming success motivated me and the rest of the team to continue improving the DOXA SUB, so we continued to collaborate with Mr. Claude Wesly, to who tested the first Helium release valve equipped diver watch made by DOXA on his famous 30 day expedition on the Red Sea, at the same time Rolex® was working on their helium release valve equipped watch. Due to the good relationship between both companies, the decision was made to share the patent for the first Helium release equipped diver watch in 1968. In 1969, DOXA introduced the first helium release valve equipped diver watch "DOXA SUB300T Conquistador". Rolex® followed in 1971 and introduced the Rolex® Submariner® Sea Dweller.

After the success of the DOXA SUB, I dedicated my efforts to the new generation of digital watches started working on the first digital watch with Motorola in the USA, DOXA had the potential and the financial strength to complete the project but unfortunately the company was merged into the "community horologère précision" group, later "SYNCHRON". The group "community horologère précision" incorporated Girard Perregaux, Zodiac, Borel and several other Swiss watch companies and was the first Swiss manufacturer to develop and patent the first high beat movement with 36600 oscillations/minute, the new hope that gave the Swiss watch industry a new perspective to survive the digital trend but you know the rest of the story."

https://www.doxa300t.com/interview/interview.htm

https://www.doxa300t.com/3subs/3subs.htm

https://www.watchpro.com/in-depth-doxa-the-upstart-with-127-years-of-horological-history/

You could probably make the argument that today's Doxa company is a completely different company with the legal rights to the old compan's name also but lets not go there. Lol
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:23:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They were definitely a product of the 1960s but certainly had sufficient "street cred"  with their collaboration with Cousteau, codevelopment of the HRV with Rolex etc.

"The unexpected overwhelming success motivated me and the rest of the team to continue improving the DOXA SUB, so we continued to collaborate with Mr. Claude Wesly, to who tested the first Helium release valve equipped diver watch made by DOXA on his famous 30 day expedition on the Red Sea, at the same time Rolex® was working on their helium release valve equipped watch. Due to the good relationship between both companies, the decision was made to share the patent for the first Helium release equipped diver watch in 1968. In 1969, DOXA introduced the first helium release valve equipped diver watch "DOXA SUB300T Conquistador". Rolex® followed in 1971 and introduced the Rolex® Submariner® Sea Dweller.

After the success of the DOXA SUB, I dedicated my efforts to the new generation of digital watches started working on the first digital watch with Motorola in the USA, DOXA had the potential and the financial strength to complete the project but unfortunately the company was merged into the "community horologère précision" group, later "SYNCHRON". The group "community horologère précision" incorporated Girard Perregaux, Zodiac, Borel and several other Swiss watch companies and was the first Swiss manufacturer to develop and patent the first high beat movement with 36600 oscillations/minute, the new hope that gave the Swiss watch industry a new perspective to survive the digital trend but you know the rest of the story."

https://www.doxa300t.com/interview/interview.htm

https://www.doxa300t.com/3subs/3subs.htm

https://www.watchpro.com/in-depth-doxa-the-upstart-with-127-years-of-horological-history/

You could probably make the argument that today's Doxa company is a completely different company with the legal rights to the old compan's name also but lets not go there. Lol
View Quote

Absolutely.

Many Swiss watch companies / auto divers are much like the Jeep / Wrangler.

Company X designed the Bantam and built it with parts from company Y. Company X, company Z, and company A made versions of it.

Company A and company Z made a bunch of them.  It included parts/models made by company B, C, D, E, and F.  And a clone by company G.

Company Z made them until the 1960s.
Company Z merged with company G and company G made them until 1970.
Company H took over and made them until the 1980s.
Company I spun off from them and made a more modern competitor.
Company J had been a partner with company H.
Company K merged with company I.
Company I, that also owns company J, has licensed clones made in other countries by company K and company L.
And company M makes a clone of another model of the brand in another country.
Company N took over company I and now owns the model.

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Absolutely.

Many Swiss watch companies / auto divers are much like the Jeep / Wrangler.

View Quote

Thats a great analogy. I was trying to think of a gun one. There are a lot there too.  Remington, Winchester, nowadays Marlin etc.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Marc from Long Island Watch did a nice review:
Reviewing the Doxa 300T Clive Cussler Special Edition - True Treasure?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top