Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2021 10:08:24 PM EDT
Yellow mealworm safe for humans to eat, says EU food safety agency
Move paves way for high-protein maggot-like insect to be approved for consumption across Europe

The conclusion of scientists at the EU food safety agency, following an application by the French insect-for-food production company, Agronutris, is expected to lead to EU-wide approval within months of yellow mealworm as a product fit for supermarket shelves and kitchen pantries across the continent.

The insect’s main components are protein, fat and fibre, offering a potentially sustainable and low carbon-emission source of food for the future. When dried, the maggot-like insect is said to taste a lot like peanuts.

Ermolaos Ververis, a scientific officer at the agency, said: “This first EFSA risk assessment of an insect as novel food can pave the way for the first EU-wide approval. Our risk evaluation is a decisive and necessary step in the regulation of novel foods by supporting policymakers in the EU in making science-based decisions and ensuring the safety of consumers.”

Companies such as Micronutris, Protifarm in the Netherlands, Essento in Switzerland and Entogourmet in Spain are understood to be preparing to ramp up their operations.

Insect based food has long been seen as a part of the solution to cutting the emission of greenhouse gases in food production. Yellow mealworm is the larval form of Tenebrio molitor, an insect species that belongs to the family of Tenebrionidae, or darkling beetles. They are usually fed in farms on wheat flour or bran, although they are omnivorous.

Mario Mazzocchi, an economic statistician and professor at the University of Bologna, said: “There are clear environmental and economic benefits if you substitute traditional sources of animal proteins with those that require less feed, produce less waste and result in fewer greenhouse gas emissions. Lower costs and prices could enhance food security and new demand will open economic opportunities too, but these could also affect existing sectors.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/13/yellow-mealworm-safe-for-humans-to-eat-says-eu-food-safety-agency
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Won't be long before...

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
You mean, insane government mandates put in place using climate change as an excuse, will soon have you eating bugs.

Because that's all you'll be able to afford.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Rendering all Communists into bio-diesel will do shit loads more for the environment and "climate change" than any bullshit ideals the Commies come up with.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#6]
*slowly fades out of sight, taking very twisted route back to family farm...*
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I would rather eat the people pushing insect food than insect food they push.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#8]
As long as those bugs are steamed crabs from the Chesapeake Bay, bring it on.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Some really gnarly shit will go down before people are made to eat bugs.

Coincidentally, that also solves the problem of people needing to eat bugs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:03:23 AM EDT
[#12]
That's how the benevolent overlords of the planet are gonna feed 10 billion peasants in the future. Good processed protein there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:05:03 AM EDT
[#13]
what the hell are we supposed to do with all that beef that's walking around ?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:06:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cows are people too. Stop being speciesist.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:06:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

We unleash them into inner cities to be free.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:07:55 AM EDT
[#16]
You'll own nothing and you'll be happy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:08:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll eat democrats before I eat bugs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:09:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yellow mealworm safe for humans to eat, says EU food safety agency
Move paves way for high-protein maggot-like insect to be approved for consumption across Europe

The conclusion of scientists at the EU food safety agency, following an application by the French insect-for-food production company, Agronutris, is expected to lead to EU-wide approval within months of yellow mealworm as a product fit for supermarket shelves and kitchen pantries across the continent.

The insect’s main components are protein, fat and fibre, offering a potentially sustainable and low carbon-emission source of food for the future. When dried, the maggot-like insect is said to taste a lot like peanuts.

Ermolaos Ververis, a scientific officer at the agency, said: “This first EFSA risk assessment of an insect as novel food can pave the way for the first EU-wide approval. Our risk evaluation is a decisive and necessary step in the regulation of novel foods by supporting policymakers in the EU in making science-based decisions and ensuring the safety of consumers.”

Companies such as Micronutris, Protifarm in the Netherlands, Essento in Switzerland and Entogourmet in Spain are understood to be preparing to ramp up their operations.

Insect based food has long been seen as a part of the solution to cutting the emission of greenhouse gases in food production. Yellow mealworm is the larval form of Tenebrio molitor, an insect species that belongs to the family of Tenebrionidae, or darkling beetles. They are usually fed in farms on wheat flour or bran, although they are omnivorous.

Mario Mazzocchi, an economic statistician and professor at the University of Bologna, said: “There are clear environmental and economic benefits if you substitute traditional sources of animal proteins with those that require less feed, produce less waste and result in fewer greenhouse gas emissions. Lower costs and prices could enhance food security and new demand will open economic opportunities too, but these could also affect existing sectors.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/13/yellow-mealworm-safe-for-humans-to-eat-says-eu-food-safety-agency
View Quote

So basically:

"Real meat isn't for the unwashed masses, plebian. Now get back in the factory."
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:10:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Rendering all Communists into bio-diesel will do shit loads more for the environment and "climate change" than any bullshit ideals the Commies come up with.
View Quote

LOL.  But i do wonder what they taste like.  I imagine it would be like soot & poo.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:11:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:14:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Back in the day the native americans would float baskets in the creek and drive massive amount of crickets by beating the ground with sticks. Crickets go into the creek to get away, then into the baskets to get out of the water. Put a lid on the basket. Basket full of protein. Crush them in with bread. Protein bars.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:15:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeaaaaaaah, uhhh, anybody who is going to try to make me eat bugs deserves to lick my boot.  These tyrannical morons need to be stopped. Like, that's definitely a line in the stand, need to solve this with war and violence sort of thing.  I think the non-Leftists of the world need to unite and give these turds something bigger to worry about than global warming.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:32:50 AM EDT
[#23]
What a bunch of BS propaganda. Nothing but a scam to scare people into worshiping the NWO. I'll enjoy my steak, Lamb, goat, pork, seafood but eating that shit isn't happening. It's about control not carbon. Soylent Green will be the next hype. Marxism is killing the planet not carbon.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:36:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Back in the day the native americans would float baskets in the creek and drive massive amount of crickets by beating the ground with sticks. Crickets go into the creek to get away, then into the baskets to get out of the water. Put a lid on the basket. Basket full of protein. Crush them in with bread. Protein bars.
View Quote

Crickets make better bait than food. Fish & Chips or a string of crickets? That wasn't so hard a choice was it?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:51:13 AM EDT
[#25]
7PNI

exception if shrimp and lobster are considered bugs
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So... you're saying... people are as delicious as cows?

Huh.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:00:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Huh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh.
cows? dystopian literature has taught me that human flesh is much more equivalent to pork, hence the term "long pig"
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:05:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
7PNI

exception if shrimp and lobster are considered bugs
View Quote
Now you're thinking.

"mud bugs"

If they can come up with a corona vaccine in ten months then they can make a shrimp and lobster that walks around in a former cattle pen before I have to eat a maggot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:08:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Am I in before the soylet green memes??
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:14:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't forget the dog meat. And bats. Probably even ground squirrels, all of them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:39:22 AM EDT
[#31]
My body, my choice!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:58:20 AM EDT
[#32]
They can circle jerk all they want.

Nope.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:59:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Screw that; eat the babies!

Just think; REAL baby back ribs...ribs, DRIPPING with sauce!  Meat falling off the BONE!

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:01:52 AM EDT
[#34]

A retarded, unsatisfying snack for an even more retarded, unsatisfying movie.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:12:00 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't think any of these alternate foods people are going to eat their new superfood besides eating a fake for a commercial. So, not at all.

Based and frend-pilled. Actually nearly brought a tear to my eye.

Quoted:
View Quote

Based and Jones-pilled.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:14:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Biden's whole climate platform is a bunch of greenwashing and woke nonsense. It still advocates woodburning at scale, which is entirely discredited now. It doesn't include any of the policies I've heard any respectable climate scientists advocate for, except maybe a line or two about nuclear research. It's really too bad the left has had the subject all to themselves for 30 years.

There are real problems with meat production at global scales, but they have to do with grazing practices and land use, particularly as poorer countries develop, not the cow farts straw man. Almost everyone involved in regenerative agriculture incorporates livestock. Part of the reason we're having ecological problems is we haven't had enough migratory herds to maintain seasonal grasslands since the megafauna extinctions, resulting in desertification, which means we're missing a significant fraction of our potential carbon sinks.

Insect proteins will probably make a big difference in poor countries. Food security is mostly an old world problem, and mostly economic, in the near term. I don't see any reason to bash authorities for allowing people to produce it for sale.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:14:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

What you're not understanding is this isn't based on a need.  

They're going to make you eat bugs because raising them and feeding them to you is a much smaller carbon footprint than animal based farming.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:19:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Biden's whole climate platform is a bunch of greenwashing and woke nonsense. It still advocates woodburning at scale, which is entirely discredited now. It doesn't include any of the policies I've heard any respectable climate scientists advocate for, except maybe a line or two about nuclear research. It's really too bad the left has had the subject all to themselves for 30 years.

There are real problems with meat production at global scales, but they have to do with grazing practices and land use, particularly as poorer countries develop, not the cow farts straw man. Almost everyone involved in regenerative agriculture incorporates livestock. Part of the reason we're having ecological problems is we haven't had enough migratory herds to maintain seasonal grasslands since the megafauna extinctions, resulting in desertification, which means we're missing a significant fraction of our potential carbon sinks.

Insect proteins will probably make a big difference in poor countries. Food security is mostly an old world problem, and mostly economic, in the near term. I don't see any reason to bash authorities for allowing people to produce it for sale.
View Quote

Famine quite literally only occurs anymore when governments want it, and that's been the case since chemical fertilizer.  So new food tech will not solve the issue.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:20:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They're going to make you eat bugs because raising them and feeding them to you is a much smaller carbon footprint than animal based farming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In reality it's because forcing you to eat bugs is what gets them off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top