Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2020 7:29:07 PM EDT
Recently, I've noticed a lot of particulate on my D750 sensor. Did the blower and internal cleaner multiple times. Problem persists. Now I have a sensor cleaning kit coming from Amazon. Anyone cleaned their sensor and do you have any tips?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
easy peasy,  just lightly dampen the swap. drag it across and then down if you get me.

you don't really have to apply pressure, just let gravity do the work, that is enough.

read your manual on "manually cleaning sensor" Make sure batteries are fully charged before doing it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 2:08:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Too much fluid can make it streaky, too.

You can buy a loupe made for sensor cleaning, but I'm not there yet.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I've done mine a couple times; each time it feels like I'm performing neurosurgery and scares the hell out of me.  But I seem to be doing it right; no issues.

The sensor cleaning function built in to my Nikon bodies doesn't do much; it's really just a vibration generator that's supposed to dislodge grit and dust.  I've never really seen any effect after using it, and the times when I can see dust on the sensor it never dislodges it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I seem to have some dust or particulate that just won't come off. Can't see it in normal photos, but the long exposure stuff, like trying to catch lightning, it really comes into view.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, I seem to have some dust or particulate that just won't come off. Can't see it in normal photos, but the long exposure stuff, like trying to catch lightning, it really comes into view.
View Quote

A sensor loupe is great for finding that stuff. They’re $20 or so but pretty useful. I use a loupe and a rocket blower to try to get stuff moved first. Then a pass with a dry swab if needed. That’ll get the extreme amount of stuff. If not, a very lightly moistened swab gets the rest.

Supposedly those sensor gel sticks work great for this too. I’ve had no good luck with them though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A sensor loupe is great for finding that stuff. They’re $20 or so but pretty useful. I use a loupe and a rocket blower to try to get stuff moved first. Then a pass with a dry swab if needed. That’ll get the extreme amount of stuff. If not, a very lightly moistened swab gets the rest.

Supposedly those sensor gel sticks work great for this too. I’ve had no good luck with them though.
View Quote

My plan was a dry swab and then a swab with light cleaning solution.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My plan was a dry swab and then a swab with light cleaning solution.
View Quote

I wouldn't dry swab. greater chance to scratch it. lightly moisten. don't over think it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They are all I use. Posted a review here years ago. Not even 1 reply.
View Quote

Huh, I don't remember seeing it.  Maybe I got a crappy old one, any you'd recommend?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Sensor cleaning kit came today. Sat down and did it in about 3 minutes. A couple of test shots were a ton better. Going to take it out this weekend and check it some more.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought two VSGO Sensor Cleaning Swab Kits on Ebay. Watched a few how to videos on YouTube and gave it a try on a Canon & Nikon I acquired from a friend that passed away. Those censors were filthy!  Finally had to use it on my Pentax K-50 for one stubborn spot. Afterwards, I take several test shots of a clear sky in & out of focus to see the results.
My Pentax K-3 will produce a test image of the censor itself and show any problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top