Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Classified DD-214s (Page 1 of 3)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/17/2021 4:42:32 AM EDT
Ok, I've heard some dudes say their DD-214 is blacked out, classified, so they can't show them. I know for a damned fact these documents can't be so. They are posers. Who else has heard this bullshit?
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 4:54:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SirSqueeboo] [#1]
About the same level of derp of “I’m not authorized to wear all of my medals.”.

I hear that type of shit all the time as gun shows.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 6:02:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup. Complete bullshit. Nothing that goes on a DD214 is classified. Some things that might normally show up can be classified, like dates of a specific campaign, but the campaign will still show on the DD214. The document itself is never classified.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Those fake SEALs say that shit, all the time. "I was working w/ the CIA so all my records are classified"
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:

View Quote

There are situations where people aren't authorized to wear all their awards, but a gun show isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Ya know, this one I can almost believe.

Case in point: I got assigned to an Army unit during OEF, but I'm Navy.

End of tour, Army puts Overseas Service Ribbon in my memo of awards.  BUT.... Navy doesn't give them without one year overseas, and no reciprocity with Army.

So, I've got it, but can't wear it.

Now I'm damn sure that isn't what the gun show folks mean, and an OSR is a dime a dozen, but it could happen.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Knew some guys that were assigned specialized units and their DD-214 were not blacked out anywhere
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 4:51:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SirSqueeboo] [#7]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

Ya know, this one I can almost believe.

End of tour, Army puts Overseas Service Ribbon in my memo of awards.  BUT.... Navy doesn't give them without one year overseas, and no reciprocity with Army.

Now I'm damn sure that isn't what the gun show folks mean, and an OSR is a dime a dozen, but it could happen.
View Quote

They way they’re phrasing it is that wearing it would be proof that they were someplace they weren’t supposed to be…like there’s a Pakistan campaign ribbon for hunting OBL in 2003.

It’s the most derpy stuff, I swear they watched under siege one too many times.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 2:19:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: demoMouse] [#8]
Originally Posted By Sheepdog5Million:
Ok, I've heard some dudes say their DD-214 is blacked out, classified, so they can't show them. I know for a damned fact these documents can't be so. They are posers. Who else has heard this bullshit?
View Quote

Heard it many times. Guy is always lying. ALWAYS.

The real deal dudes who've done some straight up secret stuff all have ways of validating their claims. Real ways. Swag from the units, paperwork (it actually exists). Photographs. Lots of photographs actually. Their annual evaluation reports might be classified, but there are other ways to validate someone.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven’t seen any recent 214’s but mine just has a little check box for Viet Nam or maybe SEA I’d have to look. I don’t recall that it listed individual units or even commands.

And I sure as heck wasn’t a secret squirrel. Maybe if I had been I would have had a different type of 214🙄🙄
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Hhmm, I did quite a few classified trips/missions. Don't think my DD-214 lists any thing like that. Just awards and decorations, AFSCs, years of service, basic stuff. May have to take a closer look, never used it for anything on the civilian side in the 10 years since retirement.

Have to laugh a little though, at a unit back around 2005, we had an back office guy retiring. I knew what he did before that job because we talked, but during his ceremony there where about 15 years missing from his BIO and folks around me were like WTF, but I understood why it was missing. He had been crosstrained due to medical/injury issues in his previous AFSC.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Only USAF guys like that I ever met wore funny maroon hats.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 4:36:06 AM EDT
[#12]
FWIW, my dad was was in SF during Vietnam (he mostly worked South America) and did a lot of classified stuff, shortly before he died I asked for his DD214 as he had recently send me a copy of his dad's, he told me there was no point "as it was mostly blank".  I asked him why was that and he told me he asked the same thing when he was ETSing and the clerk just shrugged his shoulders.  My dad just wanted out so he said ok and moved on.  There is a lot of BS out there but sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.  I have been meaning to order a copy; I may do so this week and let you know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 6:21:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I was Intel. I worked at national intelligence agencies, temporary duty to cia training courses, special operations support and deployments. It's all on my dd214. Most things classified about task forces or anything are all leading up to and during. After the fact the existence of the deployment and groups involved aren't at all something that gets hidden or redacted from 214s
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By demoMouse:

The real deal dudes who've done some straight up secret stuff all have ways of validating their claims. Real ways. Swag from the units
View Quote

Yes! Even in the most compartmented, secret squirrel, code word shit, there is always an abundance of swag. I mean fuck, I have patches, coins, tshirts, stickers, and lanyards from the most cutting edge aircraft and missions I was involved in. Most of it sits in a trunk or a safe drawer at the house, but my office coffee mug I can't explain the references on it, because it is from a SAP.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:  Ya know, this one I can almost believe.

View Quote

I got a Navy/Marine Overseas Service Ribbon for 1 month & 26 days service - when I was very briefly active duty Navy.  And I got my 2nd Overseas Service Ribbon on my 1st deployment w/ the Army, which means I got it the 1st time on the same deployment w/ the Navy.

I can't wear my Navy Expert Pistol ribbon, and I can't wear my OV-107 shirt in uniform.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Total bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:57:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MochaJava] [#17]
I just looked at my DD-214 and it only has my (no longer existing) MOS and in the next box "RELATED CIVILIAN OCCUPATION AND D.O.T NUMBER" marked "UNKNOWN."
It has the name and location of my last unit and notes the amount of years and months served overseas.
You wouldn't know much one way or the other about my service.

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#18]
My DD214 has “MEMBER PARTICIPATED IN OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE, CLASSIFIED” on it, nothing redacted though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I was involved in a classified operation in 2004 in Iraq. I have a letter of appreciation for listed on my records but it’s not in my OMPF and no one knows how to get a copy. I signed a NDA for it. My DD214 isn’t classified and my entire deployment info is listed. Anyone who tells you that is 100% full of shit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#20]
They are liars.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 7:20:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WilsonCQB1911] [#21]
Not quite the same but I couldn't get an SF50 for a few years because of my work. Even though I had rolled back my cover. I think someone sued then because I was finally able to get one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#22]
The only thing I don’t want people to see on my DD-214 is my SSN.  They are free to admire where my medals are listed, MSM, AFCOM and AFAMx2. I know, you’re welcome for my service.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DefensorFortis:
The only thing I don’t want people to see on my DD-214 is my SSN.  They are free to admire where my medals are listed, MSM, AFCOM and AFAMx2. I know, you’re welcome for my service.
View Quote

Would think you'd have a bigger issue with folks knowing you were an air pig. Nobody wants to hangout with a designated buzzkill.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#24]
You’re not really cool until they add the extra continuation page to fit all the awards.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I've seen plenty of awards and evaluations that were almost completely redacted. Never seen a redacted 214. Not mine, but some SEAL and EOD records while I was on AD.

Blacked out 214 seems fishy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#26]
In his book, Riding Rockets, Mike Mullane recounts being awarded a classified medal for a .mil shuttle mission. At the time (the award has since been declassified), he was told he could come to the SCIF to wear it whenever he wanted :)
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Number21:
FWIW, my dad was was in SF during Vietnam (he mostly worked South America) and did a lot of classified stuff, shortly before he died I asked for his DD214 as he had recently send me a copy of his dad's, he told me there was no point "as it was mostly blank".  I asked him why was that and he told me he asked the same thing when he was ETSing and the clerk just shrugged his shoulders.  My dad just wanted out so he said ok and moved on.  There is a lot of BS out there but sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.  I have been meaning to order a copy; I may do so this week and let you know how it turns out.
View Quote

Yeah, my dad's DD214 pretty much stopped after Korea, even though he didn't get out until '66.  No mention of what he did for 10 years. I'm sure it was just a clerical error.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#28]
There are two versions of personnel records for those who actually need them.  One is kept in house, and the other is adjusted to be able to be shown to the public.  If someone has a redacted 214 it is because they took a sharpie to it in order to look cool
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't get it. Talking to vets, you'd think for the past 21 years the DoD didn't recruit or train not one cook or truck driver, or services troop. Why is it so hard to say, "yeah, I was a boring radio guy?"
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Wingnut116ACW:
I don't get it. Talking to vets, you'd think for the past 21 years the DoD didn't recruit or train not one cook or truck driver, or services troop. Why is it so hard to say, "yeah, I was a boring radio guy?"
View Quote

I make Powerpoint and send emails.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View Quote

TACTICAL PowerPoints and SOCOM E-mails?
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  I make Powerpoint and send emails.

Definitely nothing so fancy.  But I occasionally wear my Space Shuttle Door Gunner t-shirt.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 5:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FightingHellfish] [#33]

View Quote

I bet they are really good PowerPoints and the fonts and formats always
match.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:   I bet they are really good PowerPoints and the fonts and formats always
match.
View Quote

When's your next standup show?  
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#35]

When's your next standup show?  
View Quote

I’ve been tasked to “brief the old man” before and been surrounded by a gaggle of staff weenies reviewing my slides who were completely uninterested in the content of the briefing but were incredibly interested in making sure the fonts and formats were standardized to their SOP.

I think PPT skill is like the officer version of a good haircut.  Sergeant Smith can’t do do fucking anything right, but his haircut game is on point, keeps people from noticing the lack of substance.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:  I’ve been tasked to “brief the old man” before and been surrounded by a gaggle of staff weenies reviewing my slides who were completely uninterested in the content of the briefing but were incredibly interested in making sure the fonts and formats were standardized to their SOP.

I think PPT skill is like the officer version of a good haircut.  Sergeant Smith can’t do do fucking anything right, but his haircut game is on point, keeps people from noticing the lack of substance.
View Quote

My NCOs make the slides, I'm just a briefing monkey.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By chibajoe:

Yeah, my dad's DD214 pretty much stopped after Korea, even though he didn't get out until '66.  No mention of what he did for 10 years. I'm sure it was just a clerical error.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chibajoe:
Originally Posted By Number21:

It probably was, you would be surprised. I spent most of my career flying with VQ-1, I promise you everything they do is highly classified yet nothing on my DD214 is redacted. These people are full of shit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

I've been tasked to "brief the old man" before and been surrounded by a gaggle of staff weenies reviewing my slides who were completely uninterested in the content of the briefing but were incredibly interested in making sure the fonts and formats were standardized to their SOP.

I think PPT skill is like the officer version of a good haircut.  Sergeant Smith can't do do fucking anything right, but his haircut game is on point, keeps people from noticing the lack of substance.
View Quote
Before PowerPoint "slideshows", there were actual slideshows.  I got tasked to make a set for the BN commander use use for a family brief that night; no one including me checked them before I left for the day and I went out to eat instead of the barracks.  Apparently he had to show a slide that said something like "Sparking wheel gets the goose" instead of 'Squeaky wheel gets the grease'.  Everyone upped their QC game after that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Yes! Even in the most compartmented, secret squirrel, code word shit, there is always an abundance of swag. I mean fuck, I have patches, coins, tshirts, stickers, and lanyards from the most cutting edge aircraft and missions I was involved in. Most of it sits in a trunk or a safe drawer at the house, but my office coffee mug I can't explain the references on it, because it is from a SAP.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

I framed most of em and put them up in my office.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Wingnut116ACW Thats a cool idea!
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#42]
100 percent bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#43]
There can definitely be some REAL vague things on them that don't really indicate what your job actually was.

But never heard of one being redacted or anything like that.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:  There can definitely be some REAL vague things on them that don't really indicate what your job actually was.

View Quote

Putting down Powerpoint Ranger and email cowboy is too embarrassing.  That's why they have staff officer MOSs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Putting down Powerpoint Ranger and email cowboy is too embarrassing.  That's why they have staff officer MOSs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:  There can definitely be some REAL vague things on them that don't really indicate what your job actually was.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#46]
The ear plug lawsuit people want my 214. I scanned a sheet of black construction paper, named the file “redacted 214” and sent it in.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Sheepdog5Million:
View Quote

They don't 'black out" DD-214s, they just don't put classified shit in them.  The admin guys going out of their way to put classified shit in as you leave the military then blacking it out moments later would be pretty stupid.  If you did classified stuff there are different types of records kept elsewhere, but none of it has to do with your DD-214.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

My buddy isn't "authorized to wear all his medals", AFAIK. Big Navy doesn't care about Big Army flair.....
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:23:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#49]
Originally Posted By DefensorFortis:
View Quote

I’ve still got a packet from MEPS with the name date of birth and social security number of everybody I went in with.  On a old school print out about 12 inches wide it’s perforated on both sides. Everybody else on the list probably has the same thing if they didn’t throw it away
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:
Yup. Complete bullshit. Nothing that goes on a DD214 is classified. Some things that might normally show up can be classified, like dates of a specific campaign, but the campaign will still show on the DD214. The document itself is never classified.
View Quote

This....18Z50
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Classified DD-214s (Page 1 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top