Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 69
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quotation, n: The act of repeating erroneously the words of another. - Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary

Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret. - Ambrose Bierce
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I can think of nothing more boring for the American people than to have to sit in their living rooms for a
whole half hour looking at my face on their television screens.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy as a prisoner's chains.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas.  If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats."
-Computer pioneer Howard Aiken (1900-1973)

“One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen is to go about repeating the very
phrases our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
-C. A. Beard 1874-1948

And, I've gotten quite a few good 'uns from the standup-philosophers right here on Arf.

The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.
-DWFAN, arf

Getting their attention IS possible, but it involves lumber and a lot of kinetic energy.
FrankSymptoms, Arf.com

“How well and truly fucked we are, that two dudes kissing is more acceptable than an American holding a rifle.”
-Freefall, Arf.com

You ever notice that no one says "don't judge me" when they've done something positive?
-gearjammer351

Fuck em. Prairie dogs had just as much time to evolve and develop high-powered rifles as we did...We win.
-genesis, Arf

This is a free country, and I have the permits, background checks, licenses, and tax receipts to prove it.
-Zippster on Arf
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#3]
"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell theinnocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend … on the
conduct of the guilty and the lawless." - Jeff Snyder
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#4]
"Are you guys ready? Let's roll." --Todd Beamer's last words before he led Americans on United Airlines Flight 93
to attack a cockpit controlled by terrorists
View Quote
And the most fascinating thing about that moment is that they voted on it! They voted to take back the aircraft before they went into action.
They knew that passivity would end with their deaths. They knew that there was likely no one who could fly and land that aircraft. And they voted to die fighting, rather than let Flight 93 be a part of the destruction that they'd planned for it.
Those people are American martyrs, and should be remembered as such.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#5]
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery. - Toussaint Louverture
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And the most fascinating thing about that moment is that they votedon it! They voted to take back the aircraft before they went into action.
They knew that passivity would end with their deaths. They knew that there was likely no one who could fly and land that aircraft. And they voted to die fighting, rather than let Flight 93 be a part of the destruction that they'd planned for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"Are you guys ready? Let's roll." --Todd Beamer's last words before he led Americans on United Airlines Flight 93
to attack a cockpit controlled by terrorists
And the most fascinating thing about that moment is that they votedon it! They voted to take back the aircraft before they went into action.
And the thing that bugs me the most is the cowardly response to 9/11: to up-armor the cockpit door, so that can never happen again.   That guy who had a bad breakup with his g/f and flew the planefull of passengers into the side of the mountain could do that b/c of the armored door.  Idiots.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Political correctness is communist propaganda writ small. In my study of communist societies, I came to the conclusion that the purpose of communist propaganda was not to persuade or convince, nor to inform, but to humiliate; and therefore, the less it corresponded to reality the better. When people are forced to remain silent when they are being told the most obvious lies, or even worse when they are forced to repeat the lies themselves, they lose once and for all their sense of probity. To assent to obvious lies is to co-operate with evil, and in some small way to become evil oneself. One's standing to resist anything is thus eroded, and even destroyed. A society of emasculated liars is easy to control. I think if you examine political correctness, it has the same effect, and is intended to. –Theodore Dalrymple
View Quote
That is going in the goodies pile.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd much prefer to be a smart ass than a dumb ass.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Shit Happens, my personal favorite.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#10]
All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players. - William Shakespeare, As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast. - Oscar Wilde
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#11]
One thing only I know, and that is that I know nothing. - Socrates
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#13]
You can build a hundred bridges and be known as a bridge builder, but mess up one time and fuck a goat.... you're known as a goat fucker!
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#14]
The morning after Abe Lincolns worst-ever bender:
"I freed the WHATS?!?!"

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been making a list for a while.

If your looking sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between shit and syphilis.

“If violent crime is to be curbed it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore, what he must be taught to fear is the victim." - Jeff Cooper

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000.
The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

“Inside of me there are two dogs. One is mean and evil and the other is good, they fight each other all the time. When asked which one will win I answer, the one that gets feed most.”

more humman souls are set free by their mothers hands than by strangers.

You can ignore reality, but you can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.
You can ignore reality, but it damn sure ain't gonna ignore you.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.

Those who will not listen, must feel.

"May your death be accompanied by screams of "WORLDSTAR!!!" as you lay surrounded by strangers with cell phones pointing at you."

You made your choise, live with it.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Being a man isn't about pissen and moaning about your problems, it's about dealing with what's in front of you.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

"All first responders to criminal activity should have access to the same equipment.
Victims ARE the first responders, cops always come later. We should actually be better armed as we face the threat, they merely react."

You say you are a Calvinist. I am not. I am of a sect by myself, as far as I know.
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Ezra Stiles Ely, June 25, 1819

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

http://www.nobeliefs.com/jefferson.htm

You can’t use dirty tricks to come back to life, but you can use dirty tricks to stay alive.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -Major General Mattis

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Major General Mattis

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/James_Mattis
http://www.cracked.com/article_19854_the-6-coolest-things-said-by-soldiers-before-killing-people_p2.html

Play stupid games.. Win stupid prizes

Stupid SHOULD hurt.

Karma has a great sense of humor

"Ignorance is curable with knowledge. Stupid is forever." unknown

For all the ‘4th Generation of War’ intellectuals running around today saying that the nature of war has fundamentally changed, the tactics are wholly new, etc., I must respectfully say, ‘Not really’: Alexander the Great would not be in the least bit perplexed by the enemy that we face right now in Iraq, and our leaders going into this fight do their troops a disservice by not studying — studying, vice just reading — the men who have gone before us. We have been fighting on this planet for 5,000 years and we should take advantage of their experience. ‘Winging it’ and filling body bags as we sort out what works reminds us of the moral dictates and the cost of competence in our profession. -James Mattis USMC

"My thoughts:

I remember when I was a child and my dad told me how when he was a young engineering student, he wanted to be the engineer that preserved all the trees in new developments.  Then he graduated and started his career, saw how it really works and understood that in the real world, that was not feasible.

I now think that most children see what they consider injustices and want to right them (and good for them).  The older and more knowledgeable they get, they realize what they used to think is simply not reality.

Some never obtain the needed knowledge, and remain ignorant of reality."

You can ride in the wagon or push the wagon. But if you ride in the wagon you don't get to decide where it goes.

Every body wants a piece of me....I decide who gets it.

I shall not embark on a battle of wits with the unprepared.

For me it's social welfare programs and the role of government which define a lefty.

too old to care and too tired to run, every one has a last straw.

Does a hobby horse have a hickory dick?

"the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

I think there was a reason the founders put this just after being able to speak your mind."

carrot on a string, nailed to the skull.

If you feed ferral cats you get more ferral cats.

Life involves suffering, tragedy and beatings, until you're dead you've got more coming.

even a snake smiles before it bites.

"Get busy living, or get busy dying. We're all worm food in the end."

"Peace is an imaginary condition posited from the periods of inactivity between wars. "

The Constitution restrains government, not the people.
Rand Paul

Has it occurred to you that I don't care if they starve?
Locke556 10/4/2015

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.  It's only difficulilt for others.
It's the same when you are stupid.

May not kill a man, but it will change his attitude.

Thou are for but an ass and a buffoon and someone that shits and falls back in it.

Less than 13% of the US population demands white people worship them like pagan gods over bad shit that good WHITE PEOPLE ended 150+ years ago.

Who wrote the Emancipation Proclamation? White guy.
Who led the Union Army in teh Civil War? White guys.
Who passed & ratified the 13th Amendment ending slavery? White guys.
Who passed & ratified the 14th Amendment making the former slaves citizens? White guys.
Who passed & ratified the 15th Amendment giving the former slaves the vote? White guys.
Who passed the post-Civil War Civil Rights Acts for the former slaves? White guys.

The USA didn't bring slavery to Western Civilization, but we sure as hell ended it within our own borders, at the cost of around 750,000 dead soldiers and dead men, women, and children.

My ancestors didn't even come to America until after 1865, so fuck them and their White Guilt.
"IDGAF. My name's Dave!"

spartacus2002
there are always people who desperately desire to belong to a group that provides them purpose, identity, and meaning, and the weak-willed or weak-minded among them will believe anything that fills that hole in their heart.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That was from his "I had a dream" speech, right?
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Excellence doesn't just happen, it must be forged, tested, and used. It must be passed down and woven into the very fabric of our souls until it becomes our nature."

General Charles "Chuck" Krulak (31st Commandant of the Marine Corps)
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"A world of information, literally at our fingertips, and we still post bullshit that could have been checked out with the slightest bit of effort. The issue isn't lack of information resources, it's lack of will."

- Bohr_Adam
View Quote
Quoting yourself is like giving yourself a reach around.  

Congrats! You've just come off as a narcissist.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"A world of information, literally at our fingertips, and we still post bullshit that could have been checked out with the slightest bit of effort. The issue isn't lack of information resources, it's lack of will."

- Bohr_Adam

"I'll concede that maybe it's also a mix of mental laziness and ineptitude. Will can only take a man so far."

- Bohr_Adam
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#21]
But I poop from there - Anne Howe
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I will add this to the first page, but I want it to be clear. Should have had it from the start.

I can't control what you put in your post, but we lost a good thread recently because people weren't turning on their mental filters and other members weren't self policing the few idiots that ruined it for everyone else. If the mods have to get involved, the mods don't want to deal with threads that take too much of their time when they have how many others to watch, so of course they will shut down threads with too many offenses.

This is not a thread to try to be funny or edgy or to push your own agenda. Classic quotes.

I am not saying there can't be tongue in cheek quotes or quotes from other members, but keep it in line with the CoC and keep it tasteful.

The whole CoC needs to be observed. If you are not sure what you have is CoC compliant, don't post it.

If you don't like it, go start your own thread.

Also, if you see something you know is not cited correctly or is lacking a cite for who said it, please, offer your input.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Be classy. Anything but trashy. - Coco Chanel

A truly elegant taste is generally accompanied with excellency of heart. - Henry Fielding
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoting yourself is like giving yourself a reach around.   Congrats! You've just come off as a narcissist. 

-   Polymorpheous

(OK. So its not really a "classic".....yet)

Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Every citizen should be a soldier, this was the case of the Greeks and Romans and must be that of every free state. -Thomas Jefferson
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.
- Colonel Sanders
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Abraham Lincoln
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#28]
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting." — C. S. Lewis

"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible." -- Giovanni Guareschi

“You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours.”
?  Charles James Napier
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.

Rule No.1: Never lose money. Rule No.2: Never forget rule No.1.

It's only when the tide goes out that you discover who's been swimming naked.

It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently.

It's better to hang out with people better than you. Pick out associates whose behavior is better than yours and you'll drift in that direction.

You only have to do a very few things right in your life so long as you don't do too many things wrong.

- Warren Buffet
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you are not sure, don't post it.[/b]

Also, if you see something you know is not cited correctly or is lacking a cite for who said it, please, offer your input.
View Quote

OK, I'll bite. Let's start at the top.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - George Orwell

There's no record of Orwell ever saying or writing this. The men said and wrote quite a bit, and deserves better by those who seek to quote him.

Here's a site where an intrepid researcher chases the origins of the quote with commendable persnicketiness: http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/11/07/rough-men/

There are far more grievous examples posted by subsequent posters, but this will do.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

*Snip

OK, I'll bit. Let's start at the top.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - George Orwell

There's no record of Orwell ever saying or writing this. The men said and wrote quite a bit, and deserves better by those who seek to quote him.

Here's a site where an intrepid researcher chases the origins of the quote with commendable persnicketiness: http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/11/07/rough-men/

There are far more grievous examples posted by subsequent posters, but this will do.
View Quote
Thanks!  And thank you for providing the link to the site for checking quote attribution. Very thorough review of the quote origins on there.  I will make that change.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Perhaps cliche, but...

Veni, vidi, vici. (I came, I saw, I conquered.) - Julius Caesar

I saw, I conquered, I came. - Pitbull

I came, I saw, she conquered. (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.) - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long

Nam si violandum est jus, regnandi gratia violandum est: aliis rebus pietatum. (If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it.) - Julius Caesar
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#33]
"It's a way of looking at that wave and saying, "Hey bud, let's party!"
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#34]
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.

When I'm good I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure.

- Mae West
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#35]
The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed. - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers

Distrust naturally creates distrust, and by nothing is good will and kind conduct more speedily changed. - John Jay, The Federalist Papers
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Nothing beautiful without struggle. - Plato, The Republic
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#38]
To the fool, he who speaks wisdom will sound foolish. - Euripides, Bacchæ l. 480

Events will take their course, it is no good of being angry at them; he is happiest who wisely turns them to the best account. - Euripides, Bellerophon, Fragment 298

I sacrifice to no god save myself — And to my belly, greatest of deities. - Euripides, The Cyclops

Slight not what's near through aiming at what's far. - Euripides, Rhesus, line 482

In this world second thoughts, it seems, are best.  Euripides, Hippolytus
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I use the "nothing is certain except death and taxes" often enough.  If I ever knew it, I didn't recall the extended quote.

Our new Constitution is now established, everything seems to promise it will be durable; but, in this world, nothing is certain except death and taxes. - Benjamin Franklin
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#41]
"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.
Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.” Robert A. Heinlein
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#42]
"Due to a deep sense of fairplay and a court order"  George Webb
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
As in the Milwaukee George Webb?  Not familiar with this one.  Source if you have it please.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Seriously? Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.:
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
As in the Milwaukee George Webb?  Not familiar with this one.  Source if you have it please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Texas Webb
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
"Can't turn a ho into a housewife, ho's don't act right." - Ludacris
View Quote
I thought this was from Dr. Dre?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I thought this was from Dr. Dre?
View Quote
Right?  Dre's 2001.  

Apparently Ludacris said it in one of his own too.  I had to look it up.  Not familiar with the Ludacris song.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Brought Theodore Roosevelt's saying to mind: Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
View Quote
I talk as loud as I feel like and carry a 1911 and two spare mags.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Texas Webb
View Quote
Gotcha.  I'll tell one of my clients to use it.

We have a chain of crappy restaurants up here named for the founder, George Webb.

There's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and we're wearing sunglasses. - Elwood, The Blues Brothers
Page / 69
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top