Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2020 11:03:04 AM EDT
I purchased some reciever sets from a vendor on this site a year ago. Due to a glitch in an online purchase software, I was overcharged over $1,100. The recievers I wanted were delayed by months and it took 6 months to get me reciever sets, but I got them. I was issued a refund check which I deposited and bounced due to cashing it 10 days after it arrived in mail several months ago. It has been 1 year to the day since this all started and I am still owed over $1,100. If I elect to take civil action, the company in question is in Washington State and I am in Texas. What is the right way to approach any civil litigation? Do I file in Washington or Texas? A bit confused due to the multiple states and jurisdictions.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#1]
How did you pay for them initially? If by credit card have the charge reversed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Some charges were by debit, some were by a credit card. That is another problem... also it was a year ago, which is way outside the normal time to contest a charge. My issue was that the charges showed as failing to go through... but went through each time.  Thus why I eventually switched cards and ended up with over $1,100 in excess charges.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I purchased some reciever sets from a vendor on this site a year ago.....    
View Quote

I assume you've attempted to contact the vendor? Maybe posting in their Industry Forum might get a quick response.

I was issued a refund check which I deposited and bounced due to cashing it 10 days after it arrived in mail several months ago.
View Quote

Whut?
This isn't clear at all. You deposited it immediately on receipt or after several months?

It has been 1 year to the day since this all started and I am still owed over $1,100. If I elect to take civil action, the company in question is in Washington State and I am in Texas. What is the right way to approach any civil litigation? Do I file in Washington or Texas? A bit confused due to the multiple states and jurisdictions.  
View Quote

If the vendor is out of business you are wasting your time.
If you hire an attorney, it would likely cost far more than $1,100.
But.....it's a bounced check. From a quick Google............ in WA state, anything over $750 is a Class C Felony. Might want to remind them of that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#4]
You can sue in TX as that's where the harm took place. The company is deemed to consent to jurisdiction in TX by conducting business with someone in TX. Look up the Texas Long-Arm Statute.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 2:57:01 AM EDT
[#5]
They issued a check several months ago. Tens days after I recieved the check... several months ago... it bounced. They are not out of business. They are one of the biggest WA based vendors on arfcom Industry Forum. I think they are shut down due to COVID19.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Did you contact them immediately after the check bounced?
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They issued a check several months ago. Tens days after I recieved the check... several months ago... it bounced. They are not out of business. They are one of the biggest WA based vendors on arfcom Industry Forum. I think they are shut down due to COVID19.
View Quote

Did you contact them about the bounced check?
Did they respond?
Why did you wait several months?
If they are an ARFcom vendor.....did you post in their Industry Forum?

I sure as hell would have been up their ass the minute I discovered they had run up credit card charges in excess of actual purchase price.
And the day their checked bounced........there would be a post on their industry forum here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top